Black Water

Started by maplebaby, August 20, 2016, 08:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's my play through of the Doobie Brothers (Patrick Simmons) great acoustic tune Black Water - there is a link to a tutorial if it would be something you might want to work up - thanks for checking it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0gWp9yjpE

Another great one Dale.  What kind of pickup does that Renshaw have in it?  It certainly sounds clean and full...
George

i put a K&K pickup in it and also their pre-phase pre amp which gives you onboard volume control from a spin wheel just inside the sound hole.  I really do like the system so far.  This video was shot using just the guitar, no amp, using an iPhone - it's a painfully simple process.

Makes me wonder why I spend so much money on recording equipment.  A doggone iphone continues to impress me, and fool me pretty good thinking there is a complex system in production...  btw, I have a 6s+ but I have never recorded with it, maybe I should give it a try?

Also this song comes from my youth, and you performed it without the vocals, but I could follow the melody line just like it was there...
George

Quote from: maplebaby on August 21, 2016, 05:39:41 PM
i put a K&K pickup in it and also their pre-phase pre amp which gives you onboard volume control from a spin wheel just inside the sound hole.  I really do like the system so far.  This video was shot using just the guitar, no amp, using an iPhone - it's a painfully simple process.

So, do you mean that you have the K&K plugged in to the iPhone at the headset jack, or are you recording with the iPhone built-in microphone?
Anthony J. Dern

I do think you should give your 6s+ a try and just see what you think.  I've always enjoyed & been impressed by folks on YT who do pretty elaborate production on their guitar vids.  I think there is a place for that certainly, i've just always kinda liked the no frills, what you see and hear is what you see and hear thing - plus i'm lazy:) and don't have the gear to do otherwise.  I've had folks record me and then do the post work but for what i do just point and shoot seems to work best for me - certainly doesn't mean it's the best!  Thanks for sharing music, dale.

Did LLB never record this one in the Doobie sets?  I cannot find it on YouTube...
George

we did not...maybe one day we'll get to it - thanks for asking!

Quote from: maplebaby on August 23, 2016, 05:29:14 AM
I do think you should give your 6s+ a try and just see what you think.  I've always enjoyed & been impressed by folks on YT who do pretty elaborate production on their guitar vids.  I think there is a place for that certainly, i've just always kinda liked the no frills, what you see and hear is what you see and hear thing - plus i'm lazy:) and don't have the gear to do otherwise.  I've had folks record me and then do the post work but for what i do just point and shoot seems to work best for me - certainly doesn't mean it's the best!  Thanks for sharing music, dale.

Currently having an issued with guitar fret tendonitis in my left index finger that is making it incredibly painful to play the guitar at all.  I have the beginnings of some arthritis, but nothing significant.  I fractured my left wrist a few years back and it took a couple of years of hand/finger exercise before I could play again.  My greatest fear is the day that comes when I can never play again...

Apparently this happens to even young players that play for long periods at a time.  I have read numerous articles about massage, stretching and warmup techniques that players use and probably need to heed those.

I would be open to suggestions from anyone about how to enhance and speed up the healing process for this tendonitis condition?
George

George, i'm truly sorry to hear about the challenges you are having to play.  I can only imagine how frustrating it must be and i hope that you will be on a path to healing to the point of playing without pain and discomfort.  I wish i knew something to share...you are an inspiration for sure!

I am trying to do all of the "right" things.  Staying off of it for now.  Massaging, Stretching, bending, etc. as all the articles suggest you do anyway.  I will be much more considerate of my posture when I start playing again.  I have studied up on it, and watched pros like you, and I am now more aware than I was before, especially when sitting on the side of the bed which is probably the worst place to play...  I will get through this and watch for bad habits going forward...
George