L-40M and L-40R review

Started by mike in lytle, August 02, 2016, 02:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:coffee :donut :donut2
Okay, so I took an early lunch and buzzed up to Guitar Tex to try these out.
Final verdict right away - I was surprised and impressed.
I played each for about 10 minutes, finger picking, and please remember, I ain't no professional guitar reviewer, just an L-body fan, and I can't compare these new guitars to the L-03 and L-03R cause I haven't played any of those for a long time.

L-40M - played this one first. Nice and light. Satin all over. Strings felt like mediums, the neck is same as the L-bodies. Decent action. The open back tuners are a nice touch. Sounds really good. The attack seems more"immediate". The guitar rings then decays nicely, like the L-05. I honestly could not tell if the low end was enhanced, it sounds a lot like the L-05 low end. The L-40M overall has the same sound qualities we would expect overall (harmonics, separation). To compare with the L-03FM flamed maple, I prefer the L-40M. However, if the L-40M is hanging on the rack and gets played by someone looking to upgrade to Larrivee, it's going home with that person.

L-40R - Same appointments, but completely different story. You would think the L-40R would cost much more than the L-40M because the wider tonal difference is striking. The L-40R has a deeper louder bottom end with a similar top end to the M, and the low end has a long sustain. I found myself slowing down with it, because all the notes sounded so good. The term "growl" applies. One could play the L-40R all day and not get tired of it.

That being said, a person caught unawares might jump all over the L-40R versus the L-40M, but the reason I initially bought the L-05 was to get away from deeper bass and sustain, and I was weary of the HD-28 with its never ending overpowering bass. The L-40R does the same thing, except the bass notes have more initial clarity than the HD-28. Things can get crowded quickly.

So it depends on what you would use each of these guitars for. I could see having one of each. The relative difference between the L-40M and L-40R (both brand new) is the same relative difference between L-05 and the LV-10, which were built two months apart in 2010. But both the L-40M and L-40R are fantastic guitars and I think Larrivee is going to sell a lot of them.

Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Thanks loads Mike, this is a Great review from a real player's perspective.  My D-40R is hard to put down as well.  I may have to sell one of the herd and just get me an L-40R... Hmmm come to think of it my L-09 is already for sale...
George

Thanks Mike for the review.  I really want to try these out and get a first hand experience on the tone of these guitars.

Good to know that there is an 40M/mahogany model too - it's not shown on the website...

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Had a chance to sample each of these the other day. I agree with your assessment, Mike. The M was well balanced with the overall tone being a little bigger and deeper than the L03 that I had. Very nice, although I can't get used to the square headstock on this particular model... Jest don't look right, somehow.  The R version had an overwhelming bass response which was a little off putting to me. I missed the balance that Larrivee is known for. Now, this could have been just this example, and the tone may balance out with age.

I love the new 000 guitars with the new bracing pattern, but just not sure about the L body guitars. Maybe a little too much of a good thing. Does anyone know if ALL of the L03 bodies will be of the new configuration from on, or if they will still make the old standby in addition?
RB