Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping an electric guitar  (Read 1775 times)
Davy Vanthuyne

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »

Could someone tell me how you should ship an electric guitar on an airplane? I have read that some people loosen the strings, others say the guitar needs to be tuned. What's the best? Other advice is welcome. Thanks

Larrivée rs 2 P90 2010
Larrivee rs 4 jason lollar 2008
Fender cd100 ce lh
Fender '51 customshop tele faded nocaster blonde 2016
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:39:43 PM »

Either way is cool but pack it in a box with packing,just shipping it in the case alone is not a good idea.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 04:05:39 PM »

A box is of course better. Inside the case leave it in tune and put something behind the headstock, packing paper or a towel but put something there.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »

Use lots of newspaper or the newsprint packing paper that professional movers use.  Ship the guitar in it's hard shell case and then pack the case in a guitar box of suitable size.  Get a box from a guitar retailer.  They will often give you one for free, but may charge you a few dollars.  Take the guitar case with you and ask them if they have a box that more or less fits it.

As stated, keep the guitar tuned to pitchAll the voids between the guitar and the inside of the case must be packed with balls of paper.  Then all the voids between the case and the inside of the box must also be packed with balls of paper.

Scrunch each page of newspaper into a ball shape and stuff these balls all around the guitar after it is laid flat in the case, especially under the headstock, neck and in the spaces at the waist of the guitar.  Pack it tightly.  Before closing the lid, put some packing balls on top of the guitar and neck as well.  It should be packed tight enough that there is some resistance when you close the lid.  You don't want the guitar to be able to move around in the case at all.

Repeat the process by tightly packing every void around the case inside the guitar box.  Don't use foam packing peanuts!  They settle and don't provide enough resistance to movement or jarring or dropping of the box.

Write "Fragile" and "Do not stand on end" on all sides of the box.

Doing it properly and thoroughly will use lots of paper and take some time, but it's worth it.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Davy Vanthuyne

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »

Thank you all for the advice.

Larrivée rs 2 P90 2010
Larrivee rs 4 jason lollar 2008
Fender cd100 ce lh
Fender '51 customshop tele faded nocaster blonde 2016
rocketroll

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:00:02 PM »

Reverb has a good video on this. It's good but you need to rethink if your guitar has a floating tremolo/Floyd. You want to block the bridge if you're gonna loosen the strings, make sure it doesn't hurt the guitar body or the mount posts if under pressure for a long time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDrUu5C0VQ

1988 Larrivée RS-2 C
1990 Hamer Chaparral Elite Sustainiac
1987 The ESP Eclipse Custom FR
1975 Fender Twin Reverb, Tommy Folkesson mod Mk III
Rockman Soloist
Rockman X100
Davy Vanthuyne

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 10:49:54 PM »

Thanks for the nice replys, she's packed and on her way.... to me

Larrivée rs 2 P90 2010