New Morgan

Started by superdave, August 03, 2016, 06:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Zohn on August 30, 2016, 12:21:10 AM
with reference to Rodney Brown Duck, those Florentine-cutaway-Concert models are great - I played a Sitka/hog model once which was/is one of the best ever....
Those and the C-series Larrivees are the best looking cutaway guitars imo.

I agree. Bruce Cockburn and Jean Larrivee really had something there. 

Quote from: superdave on August 04, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
Morgan's are similar in a lot of ways to Larrivees but get a lot more detailed attention when built !

Given the fact that at one time or another, every Larrivee is worked on by JCL, I am not sure I can agree with your assumption.

Quote from: Walkerman on August 30, 2016, 10:17:24 PM
Given the fact that at one time or another, every Larrivee is worked on by JCL, I am not sure I can agree with your assumption.

Steve, we all recognize how hands on JCL and all his family is with every guitar build, but what I interpreted Dave to mean is that David touches each guitar a lot more during the builds, he just has a much smaller employee base so for me it is hard to compare the two...  I applaud JCL for teaching all his wonderful apprentices to carry on the great work he started...  I would love to own a guitar made by each and every one of them.  (No other brand exceeds my collection of Larrivee's in total count and likely never will)  No way I will ever be able to afford a Manzer though...   :winkin:
George

Quote from: georbro3 on August 31, 2016, 09:01:00 AM
Steve, we all recognize how hands on JCL and all his family is with every guitar build, but what I interpreted Dave to mean is that David touches each guitar a lot more during the builds, he just has a much smaller employee base so for me it is hard to compare the two...  I applaud JCL for teaching all his wonderful apprentices to carry on the great work he started...  I would love to own a guitar made by each and every one of them.  (No other brand exceeds my collection of Larrivee's in total count and likely never will)  No way I will ever be able to afford a Manzer though...   :winkin:

That is because you do not know how hands on" JCL is. Go into
larrivee on weekends, and you will see Jean doing everything all by himself.  but, we are talking semantics now.

Quote from: Walkerman on August 31, 2016, 09:28:39 AM
That is because you do not know how hands on" JCL is. Go into
larrivee on weekends, and you will see Jean doing everything all by himself.  but, bee are talking semantics now.

Thanks for that reminder Steve.  Dan Lawson used to make comments about JCL being in the plant working on Saturdays.  If I had your ease of access, I would probably be in there helping him and trying to learn all I could...  It must be really neat to have such a personal relationship with him.  His passion for the work in his videos are so apparent to the viewer.  He comes across as being very down to earth.
George

Quote from: georbro3 on August 31, 2016, 10:40:00 AM
Thanks for that reminder Steve.  Dan Lawson used to make comments about JCL being in the plant working on Saturdays.  If I had your ease of access, I would probably be in there helping him and trying to learn all I could...  It must be really neat to have such a personal relationship with him.  His passion for the work in his videos are so apparent to the viewer.  He comes across as being very down to earth.

Every Larrivee player should have the experience of walking the
Larrivee shop floor with Jean.  You will see a man who loves guitar making. 

Quote from: Walkerman on September 01, 2016, 08:35:05 AM

We can't overcome the hubris of those who automatically assume that if someone builds only ten or twenty or two hundred guitars (usually because they own one), that they are better guitars. We see that Matthew states that they are actually building better guitars than when JCL was doing that. Of course, Larrivee makes a wider range of guitars, as well, putting great guitars into the hands of those who might otherwise never afford one. I would love to take that walk with you.   :cheers   

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 01, 2016, 09:01:17 AM
We can't overcome the hubris of those who automatically assume that if someone builds only ten or twenty or two hundred guitars (usually because they own one), that they are better guitars. We see that Matthew states that they are actually building better guitars than when JCL was doing that. Of course, Larrivee makes a wider range of guitars, as well, putting great guitars into the hands of those who might otherwise never afford one. I would love to take that walk with you.   :cheers   

you need to put that on your bucket list.

Quote from: superdave on August 19, 2016, 07:33:58 PM
I can't say enough about Jason at Notable Guitars who got me into this guitar ! He is the only US authorized dealer for Morgan's oil rubbed finish guitars, and they are as good as Jason says they are !
Dave

David just announced on FB that Jason is now the Exclusive Morgan Guitar home in the US!  Jason always comes through no matter whose brand you are buying from him...  Great seller and a good friend to many here.
George

Congratulations SuperDave!  Will be curious to hear how that Morgan OMM with the hand-rubbed finish sounds.  I think that you will be very pleased.  I have a Morgan OMM, but not with the same finish.  It is without a doubt my go-to guitar.  I love my Larrivees and Guilds, but that Morgan is sweet.
I believe that Ducktrapper brings up an interesting and worthwhile point with his "high-end Larrivees" comment.  I even wonder if the Morgan Mahogany comes from Larrivee.  Of course, I know that David's shop still applies the finish.  I do not find the Morgan any fancier, but perhaps a bit more exquisite, FWIW.  I feel that the Morgan guitars may be one of the finer overall built North American guitar manufacturers.  But - what do I know.  The Larrivees and Morgans are really quite similar, I just feel that this particular Morgan may be a head above.  I have heard some really fine rosewood OM Larrivees, and I would not sell my L05 (in spite of a couple of character appearance flaws - I bought it used) very easily at all.  I love that thing and the sound that can come out ... wow.  I just have not heard hardly any OM-05's around here in Kansas.
So, the point of this meandering ... well, Super Dave I hope that you love that Morgan and I feel that you will.  I have my opinions about guitars, but they are still just my opinions.  There always will be exceptions to the rule, good or bad, but I do not believe that you need to worry.  And, no, I am not being critical of any of my Larrivee Forum Friends.  Do not take anything personal.  I was speaking about me.   :wink:   :guitar   :thumb
Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

I had a conversation with JCL about this topic.  I asked him if the guitars he made in the beginning ... totally by hand, one at a time...... were better than the ones he was making now.  He answered that the ones being made now are better.

Quote from: Walkerman on September 01, 2016, 08:35:05 AM

:+1: Yup, he was one happy guitar builder the day he took me through. I wanted to hang around.
   But at least we got some good fish and chips. (and I left with a fine guitar;
I suppose after eight years plus, it's okay to say that.)