New Morgan

Started by superdave, August 03, 2016, 06:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Made a great deal on a Morgan Concert.  I lucked into a gorgeous Western Red Cedar Sunburst top over dark stained Flamed Maple back and sides.  Solid ebony purfling, brass ringed turquoise fretboard inlay.  I am excited about it!
George

Mine will be here tomorrow ! 😃
Morgan OMM
Bart Reiter Tubaphone openback banjo
Scherl & Roth German Fiddle
Ramsey Fairbanks Electric Banjo
Eastman 503 Archtop

Quote from: superdave on August 17, 2016, 01:13:19 PM
Mine will be here tomorrow ! 😃

Pix please, right after you get through loving on it...
George

Congrats to you too George.  Give us some pics and a review when you get your Morgan too.  Maple and cedar, one great combination of tone woods and Morgan has some incredible old Canadian Red Cedar and Maple that David has been squirreling away for nigh on 30 years too.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

In a perfect world I think I would have liked Cedar over Rosewood ? But I got a great deal on this Spruce/Mahogany OM. I played a Lakewood Cedar over Rosewood at Elderly the other day and it was by far the best sounding guitar in the store that I played !
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Cedar sounds very much different than Spruce.  I like them both, but I have fewer cedar and you have to find the right one that suits your taste.  That said many Spruce varieties sound distinctively different as well. The stiffness of the spine has impact on the tone. I like them all, but Alpine Spruce has my heart...

Maybe you will get a cedar top on the next one...
George

About ten years ago, Colosimo's Music in Thunder Bay (since gone out of business) had their annual half price sale. Three friends of mine bought three Morgans that were hanging on the wall. Nice guitars and they all got great deals (even if the pre-half off price was pretty high). Rodney Brown, a Canadian icon, still plays and loves his maple cutaway and Dave Jonasson still has his mahogany model although he almost sold it to me once until he thought better of it. Missed it by [that] much. The rosewood model has since been sold in favor of a Gibson Songwriter. Bad trade in my opinion.  

http://www.rodneybrown.ca/    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwMveZzENSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RJPBxcxSxg

My Morgan arrived today ! And for being one who has owned a lot of nice guitars, I have to say this is a nice guitar ! It reminds me a lot of my Santa Cruz weight wise, but my biggest concern was wether I would like the oil rubbed finish ? Well I'm here to tell you it feels very organic or maybe a better choice of words user friendly. I know a lot of people desire a gloss finish which brings out the beauty of the wood but from a players perspective this is a great finish to not have to fuss over ! And the sound ? Typical Morgan ! Amazing mids. !
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Quote from: superdave on August 18, 2016, 06:28:28 PM
My Morgan arrived today ! And for being one who has owned a lot of nice guitars, I have to say this is a nice guitar ! It reminds me a lot of my Santa Cruz weight wise, but my biggest concern was wether I would like the oil rubbed finish ? Well I'm here to tell you it feels very organic or maybe a better choice of words user friendly. I know a lot of people desire a gloss finish which brings out the beauty of the wood but from a players perspective this is a great finish to not have to fuss over ! And the sound ? Typical Morgan ! Amazing mids. !

Great news with the expected outcome!  Something about unfinished wood that just allows it to resonate...   :gotpics:
George

The guitar has an understated elegance. Abalone micro dot pos. Markers with ebony bridge pins with Abalone dots, rosewood binding, lacewood headstock inlay and clear pickguard. The guitar is extremely light and has terrific mid range. I believe David has hit one out of the park with this one !
Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Dave I think you hit the nail on the head with the term "understated elegance".  These guitars are just about all wood everything, including the rosette.  Oil rubbed finish keeps the wood moist but by no means unattractive. (I love the feel of the wood on satin guitars)  When Takemine built their 50th Anniversary pro model they did the same thing and finished the whole guitar in satin, with no pickguard.  Even the fretboard had wooden inlays.  The thought was to not encumber the wood with anything that would reduce its ability to resonate.  Mine is cedar over Sapele and your descriptor fits it perfectly...  I am drooling over an oil rubbed DR...
George

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on getting your new Morgan.

If yours is anything like mine I'm sure that you'll be enjoying it decades from now.

Best wishes.

I can't say enough about Jason at Notable Guitars who got me into this guitar ! He is the only US authorized dealer for Morgan's oil rubbed finish guitars, and they are as good as Jason says they are !
Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

I'm really bonding with the hand rubbed oil finish !
Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Quote from: superdave on August 25, 2016, 08:06:01 PM
I'm really bonding with the hand rubbed oil finish !
Dave

Are you sticking to it?   :wink:

I'd love to see pictures of it.

My brother almost picked up a Morgan last year. He answered an ad on kijiji and picked up on OM model in a really seedy part of Ottawa. When he inspected it, he saw there were cracks forming from the soundhole to the fretboard, probably from not being cared for. Given where he went to pick it up, my brother figured it was probably stolen and left in a room somewhere for a few year. The good news is, he ended up getting a Larrivee Swamp Ash D-03.

Anyhow, I'm a fan of satin finish guitars so I'm curious about an oil rubbed model.

I think the cool thing about the oil rubbed finish vs a sprayed on satin finish is that the finish is in the wood instead on top ? I can't believe that it doesn't make for a livelier instrument ?
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Congrats on your new Morgan Dave - wishing you lots of you and pleasant memories with it!
:gotpics:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 18, 2016, 03:08:41 PM
Rodney Brown, a Canadian icon, still plays and loves his maple cutaway and Dave Jonasson still has his mahogany model although he almost sold it to me once until he thought better of it. Missed it by [that] much. The rosewood model has since been sold in favor of a Gibson Songwriter. Bad trade in my opinion.  

http://www.rodneybrown.ca/    

with reference to Rodney Brown Duck, those Florentine-cutaway-Concert models are great - I played a Sitka/hog model once which was/is one of the best ever....
Those and the C-series Larrivees are the best looking cutaway guitars imo.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: superdave on August 26, 2016, 09:37:44 AM
I think the cool thing about the oil rubbed finish vs a sprayed on satin finish is that the finish is in the wood instead on top ? I can't believe that it doesn't make for a livelier instrument ?

The wood can't distinguish how the finish was applied.  Sprayed, brushed, or rubbed with a cloth, any given finish interacts with the wood the same way, depending on what solvent it is based on.  The greatest determining factor is what solvent the finish is dissolved in.  It is a misconception that some finishes "penetrate" the wood more than others.  Finishes in general hardly "penetrate" the wood at all.  And even if they did, what is the great benefit of this penetration?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar