Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ibanez AC240 OPN (all mahogany)  (Read 516 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »

I'm scratching my head, because I thought I had already included a thread about this guitar, which I purchased a couple months ago while waiting for my custom Larrivee to be completed. This was kind of my low-end all-hog player to use when I didn't want to play the custom all-hog L-05.

Anyway, today a hardshell case arrived from MF for it, so I figured I'll post/repost about it...here's a review:

Ibanez calls it an OM/Grand Concert model, but it's got a short scale length (24.9") which I associate with vintage 000 Martins...

Also has some other nice specs for a $300 guitar:
Solid mahogany top
Bone nut and compensated bone saddle
Abalone rosette
1 3/4" nut
Grover tuners
what Ibanez calls "open pore" ("OPN") finish - a very thin finish on top/sides/back
and:
rosewood headstock overlay, fingerboard and bridge.

The guitar was set up pretty well, like many eastern Asia guitars in this price range. I had to lower the nut slots, but that was it - I don't even think I tweaked the truss rod.

Other materials and workmanship are excellent: the woods have a nice grain to them, all binding is clean, and the abalone rosette's color is muted and understated, which is appropriate for this guitar. (Pics below)

The tone is pretty decent - it sounds like a small body, all hog guitar: midrangey, intimate, a bit honky and growly, but still with the right amount of clarity and sparkle on the high strings. It's not at Martin 15 series levels of tone, but it's got the right character. It's not real loud, but I've already felt like it's opening up a bit. And this is a guitar you can play hard on and it responds well, doesn't fall apart or cry "momma" (it just appropriately cries "Oh, baby...").

I've tried a number of the Fender Tim Armstrong signature guitars that are all hog/solid hog top (because there are lefties available), and I've never been the least bit tempted to buy one because they sound so flat and anemic. This one has much more power and punch compared to those (and they sell for just a bit more than the Ibanez - but some of them also have a pickup in them - Ibanez makes a right-handed version of this one that comes with a pickup installed). The Ibanez's design and materials just seem nicer to me than the Tim Armstrong one as well - but that's a personal choice thing, I know... his just looks like more of a toy - like my first plastic ukulele; this is more of an adult, player's instrument.

Anyway, all in all, a great package offered to lefties with some nice different specs that called out to me (1 3/4" nut, short 24.9" scale length). Bravo Ibanez!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 09:08:55 PM »

Don't scratch too hard, I remember the post as well.     I have a couple of all solid wood Ibanez models and they are just as excellent as you describe...

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:14:33 PM »

Don't scratch too hard, I remember the post as well.     I have a couple of all solid wood Ibanez models and they are just as excellent as you describe...

Didn't know Ibanez made any all solid wood acoustics...

gotpics?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: