Branches from the Larrivee Tree

Started by jab.phila, June 04, 2016, 08:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Folks, I just bought a used Northwood and have learned some of John McQuarrie's work. I've heard about Morgan guitars. Are there any other independent luthiers that branched off from the Larrivee tree? Are there any common threads in their work? I'd love to learn more about the Larrivee legacy. Thanks.  :guitar :beer
Glad to have owned a few nice guitars

Many.  Linda Manzer is famous and so is Grit Laskin and David Wren to just name three of the more famous ones.  I also own Northwood guitars, John is an awesome Luthier...
George

Thanks. I briefly checked out the three that you mentioned and was blown away by the artistry. I love the elegance and simplicity of the Larrivee look. I think I see some of those classic lines, but their takes go way beyond what I've ever seen before. Amazing.

There is a story out there somewhere that talks about a number of Jean's apprentices.  Very interesting reading.  I will post the link if I can find it again...
George

Here's an interesting interview with one of Jean's star pupils:

Linda Manzer: Guitar-Maker Extraordinaire

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I would love to know more about the environment Jean fosters with his luthiers to create such a legacy. The Larrivee culture seems very special as I get to know it better, especially as it generates other generations.

Then I would heartily recommend you watch the video that John Jr. produced about the "Hunt for Spruce".  It is fascinating and explains how much trouble the Larrivee's go to in order to find and harvest the best woods possible for their guitars.  I own a hunt for spruce D-10, and it is a spectacular sounding guitar...
George

Thank you so much George. That was an awesome article that helps inform my understanding of this good work. I actually had seen the spruce video earlier when I first heard about Larrivee. This is an exciting journey to be on. :+1:

And it only gets better the farther down the road you go.  This forum is the best bunch of Larrivee addicts I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with...
George

in addition to those mentioned, i think weber from north vancouver worked  for larrivee.  plus ted thompson and ed myronuk, both excellent builders, made his truss rods at different times, but were not apprenices, but picked up a few things. jean used to let many lutheirs use his big equipemnt at night, like the thickness planer(he had a state of the art one).  then there is the world class lute maker micahel shriner who worked int he toronto shop with wren, manzer, laskin et al.

i have a shelly sax 12 string from 79. it looks like a larrivee L 09 12, but few remember him. ted thompson didn't think he was a larrivee aprentice but he probably bought wood from him, because when i picked up the 12 string i was looking at a 78 L09 at rufus guitars in vancouver they had one with almost exact matching wood grain for the back and sides rosewood.    there are more

Quote from: georbro3 on June 06, 2016, 05:04:57 PM
Here is another very interesting Jean Larrivee article...   http://www.fretboardjournal.com/featuresmagazinechief-cook-bottle-washer-guitar-maker-john-larrivee/

Thanks again for posting this link - what a great read! Makes me totally sappy and proud all over again to be a (multiple) Larrivee owner. Can't wait for my new Custom L-05 to arrive! Should be sometime in the next week or so!!!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Tony Duggan-Smith as well.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Ed Bond of Halcyon Guitars.
http://www.halcyonguitars.com/

I just started a thread about one that he is just finishing for me!
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=50133.0
2010 Larrivee Forum IV
1974 Martin D-28
"Frankenstein" 1948 Gibson J-50 Body/L-00 Neck
2016 Halcyon NL-00
2013 Martin Jeff Tweedy DB-00
1945 Epiphone Triumph Archtop
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux (Name Created by adorshki on the Let's talk Guild Forum)
2008 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
http://www.patrickcoopermusic.com

I have had many conversations with Jean about his apprentices turned luthiers.  He speaks very highly of them.

And I believe we speak very highly of them as well, and for very good reason, he has taught them all the pride of a job well done and to joyously sign their name to their work.  Here I share one that is enroute to me right now that is a great example of the level of craftsmanship Jean imparts on his apprentices...

Northwood MJV-80 with Wintergrain Engelmann Spruce top, Flamed koa back and sides, snowflake fretboard inlays, vine headstock inlay, 70's style rosette, and this one has OM depth at the headblock and tailblock... only seven months in the making...
George

Wow! I just got into this world less than a year ago and spun through a gorgeous used L-03R, a sweet used OM-05 and then found a Cocobolo Northwood OOO. I totally stretched myself thin to get the Northwood, but I can't take it out of the house! Now I'm back looking for a Larrivee that can complement the Northwood, play plugged in and get outside. My wife's been supportive of this new hobby, but her head is spinning. I never thought I'd have so much fun reading posts on forums like this and getting involved in this acoustic guitar sub-culture. Learning more about the Larrivee lineage is just one more step along the path. Thank you for chiming in as I keep walking down this new road. Jake

How about Haida Gwaii and Paragon guitars? Didn't he/they come out of Jean's Vancouver shop?