Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to try a Gibson J-45  (Read 4804 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 08:36:14 PM »

You're the only one you need to please. Nice looking guitar. Congrats. 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 09:00:21 PM »

You're the only one you need to please. Nice looking guitar. Congrats. 

As Yoda might say,

"Pleased I am. Very pleased I am."

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 04:41:12 AM »

Very cool,love sunburst finish's.You got a good one so don't let it go as lefties are so hard to find.I wonder if a lefty built it.Congrats on the new family member.Your sons are right handed right? nice guitar

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 05:27:00 AM »

Congrats on the new family member. Your sons are right handed right? nice guitar

Yes, they are ... when they inherit my lefties, they'll have to sell 'em on Reverb or Ebay or whatever exists then, and convert the $$ into right-handed versions...

It is indeed a  nice guitar

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 05:47:30 AM »

Congrats.  Play it lots and enjoy.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 01:02:21 PM »

+1    Very nice looking guitar....    nice guitar

Hope you two bond and that she gives you many hours of enjoyment.... BobW.....       
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 10:25:31 PM »

Sounds to me like the Rev and J45 have already bonded quite well!  Congrats on getting a really good one!

George
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 02:21:15 PM »

Nice looking, but more importantly, great sounding to your ears. 

The visible seam on top is usually called "runout" and from what I understand does not affect sound.

One of the musicians in the church worship group plays a J-45, and it sounds pretty good.

Play it daily for best results.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:45 PM »

Looks like a keeper, the last J-45 I played was a dud. But having owned good Gibsons as well I do think that the Montana shop is turning out good instruments.
     I have an old Kalamazoo made J-40 waiting in the queue to be rebuilt. The J-40 is nothing like the J-45 though. Way back the J-50 was actually the better version. The top on the 50 was higher quality so they didn't give it a sunburst like the 45 which had flaws in the top.
     James Taylor made his early recordings with a J-50.
When we saw Jackson Browne a few years ago, every guitar he played was an acoustic Gibson.
       Enjoy it Mike.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »

I played two higher end Gibson acoustics in the local GC a couple of weeks ago.  I would not have bought either one, but they look good...

George
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 02:43:08 PM »

You have a nice looking guitar and looks like you found one worth keeping. As you compare it with your other guitars, it's worth keeping if it adds a new dimension and only you can make that choice.

The term for the top is called runout and coupled with sunburst finishes, both are a constant source of debate (pro and con) on guitar forums. The cure for that is to turn the lights down or off and decide how it sounds. Set your guitar next to willie's Trigger and pick the best top between the two. My Martin catalog from 1976 has a photo of a D45 with runout.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
dave42

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 07:26:04 PM »

Looks great! Enjoy!

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »

The worship pastor at our church just bought a J 45. He ended up having to go through one to find a good one so for him it was one out of two. He also has a D03.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
JamesN

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 12:52:12 AM »

...My Martin catalog from 1976 has a photo of a D45 with runout.

You mean this one?

teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2016, 02:39:21 AM »

James:

That's the picture I was referring too. I would be curious to see what that D-45 looks like today after 40 years.

When Frank Martin was running the show, he liked to include photos with classic guitars as a backdrop. Mike Longworth designed the D-41 with inlay that was different from the 45 series.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 03:35:57 AM »

OK its been about a month....how about a reveiw???????

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 05:13:30 AM »

OK its been about a month....how about a reveiw???????

Quick review (although this will fall short of a full blown review...):

I still love the guitar - it is different enough from the Martin D-35 (and the little all hog Ibanez, also my Larrivees) that they're all justified/justifiable. The Martin seems to have a pretty balanced, controlled tone, even though it does have nice bass. Playing the Martin more recently (and it is a year old/older), I've noticed how nice and strong the unwound B and E strings sound, even playing up the neck.

Unlike that even, balanced sound, the Gibson has this rumble on the low E string, and strumming (versus all the others) the sound is just more forward/in your face/punchy. It lets you know it's there - loud and proud.

One of the biggest surprises to me is that (from what my ears and memory are telling me) it sounds best with the 80/20 bronze strings - and I'm thinking maybe the original Gibson set (of lights) sounded about the best - but I'm still experimenting with strings. The Martin currently has the Retro Monels on it, and they sound great on that guitar (and last and last), but they didn't sound as good on the J-45.

Other people might hear something different, and I'll keep experimenting, but so far - along with the original set of Gibson 80/20 lights, I've tried a set of phosphor bronze (mediums I think) and the Monels ... now I have a set of Martin 80/20 mediums on it. I may go back to lights (because this thing has plenty of punch and volume even with the lights), but if I do, I'll keep mediums (17 & 13) on the high B and E strings...I'm doing that on all my acoustics these days... with the short scale on the J-45 and Ibanez, I might even try a 14 for the E... (thanks, unclrob).

Fit and finish is very good to excellent (although the dark finish means you can't see the hog neck, back and sides much). I am wondering about the intonation a little - it might be a hair off... I may take it back in to have the local tech check it as well. It seems harder to keep in tune than my other acoustics. I'm hoping if there's an issue (other than my ears!) it can be corrected with some saddle work and not having to get the bridge moved or bridge slot recut... Again, this might just be my imagination...

I'm still trying to dial in the pickup (L.R. Baggs Element); it's a little woofy in the lows (all that natural low end). I have a Baggs Venue D.I. box that should do the trick, I just haven't had time to mess with it enough yet. Very similar or the same as what's in my Martin and a couple other acoustics I've had, and it works well in those guitars (the Martin is much easier to dial in).

I love playing this thing - its got so much personality - you can't ignore this thing when it's being strummed - or fingerpicked!

Hope that's enough for now unclrob. If you have other questions, fire away.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »

Just what I wanted to hear,

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »

Just what I wanted to hear,

I should have also mentioned, it doesn't have that "dead thump" that some J-45's seem to have - almost like the strings are beyond dead, but they're brand new, so you know it's the guitar. I know a certain amount of this is part of the J-45's charm, but too much and it sounds flat...

This one doesn't have that dead sound - it's very vibrant and alive, while also having the punch and a bit of that dry sound. Dry but ringing? Don't really know how to describe it, other than I like it and it's definitely a keeper!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
songman2

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »

Congratulations on your J45. I got me the same one 2 months ago, J45 2016. This was my first Gibson and it was so good that soon after I went on the hunt for another one. I've now also got me a Hummingbird HCS 2017. I accept that many people say they had a hard time finding a good Gibson, but in all honesty I think they have raised the bar considerably since 2016. I tested both my Gibby's against vintage models and I would not have traded. The 2016 and up models simply were better. The finish is absolutely flawless. Both have a wonderful tone, woody but full and vibrant. The J45 a little more dark, the Bird a little more sparkly. You will enjoy your J45 very much. 

Larrivee D10 2004
Gibson J45 2016
Gibson Hummingbird 2017
Martin HD28V 2015
Taylor K62ce 12-fret LTD 2017
Taylor GS Mini-e Rosewood 2014
Ovation Custom Elite 2002
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: