Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"  (Read 1550 times)
247hoopsfan

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2016, 05:36:59 AM »

For some reason this song came to mind a couple days ago, so I recorded it tonight.  Leonard Cohen has written some brilliant lyrics.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/hallelujah

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:25:12 PM »

+1    thanks for sharing....    where can I get the sheet music?   thanks....  BobW...     
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »

Good job but  I have to say that Hallelujah has kind of become this era's Stairway to Heaven as far as over done songs are concerned.
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »

Hallelujah to that Duck.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »

Nice recording.  The guitar sounds real good.  I like where you played the harmonics on the guitar.  The voice part seems kind of isolated/separated from the guitar part.  I think the vocals and guitar could have been blended together better somehow.  Hard to explain what I mean.  I hear tracks dubbed onto one another as opposed to just a singer with his guitar performing a song and it's all captured together at once.   JMHO   

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

247hoopsfan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 03:51:35 PM »

Shooting Star, you are correct.  I actually did this in 3 tracks.  I was just messing around with a Snowball microphone.  It's the kind you plug into your computer.  Then I recorded in Garage Band.  I did 2 separate guitar parts, and then recorded the vocal as the 3rd track.  It would sound more natural if I had recorded the vocal with the original guitar recording.  I added the vocal track as an afterthought.  Singing isn't my strong suit as the vocal chords are aging!  Thanks for the comments.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 05:57:51 PM »

Use to play this at gig's in my duo.WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to many words to remember.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 03:50:23 AM »

Sounds pretty darn good to me. I liked it.
I am not a technical guy tho, so I don't know about the recording stuff.
Mike
L-05
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 06:47:09 AM »

Sounds pretty darn good to me. I liked it.
I am not a technical guy tho, so I don't know about the recording stuff.
Mike
L-05

I didn't mean to imply it didn't sound good.  Just that you can detect the overdubs.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »

Leonard Cohen was a fav of mine way back. Susan (is that the tunes name?) was a song I played over and over. Hallelujah is full of texture and mystery in the lyrics, I enjoy hearing it covered well. Like the short version in Shrek. Was that John Cole? Man I am showing my mileage.
I rewrote a few verses of Hallelujah and it comes across with a whole different flavor. Just for my own use and to play to the grandkids.
     I really enjoy your playing style +1 

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 06:26:46 AM »

Leonard Cohen was a fav of mine way back. Susan (is that the tunes name?) was a song I played over and over. Hallelujah is full of texture and mystery in the lyrics, I enjoy hearing it covered well. Like the short version in Shrek. Was that John Cole? Man I am showing my mileage.
I rewrote a few verses of Hallelujah and it comes across with a whole different flavor. Just for my own use and to play to the grandkids.
     I really enjoy your playing style +1 

That early Cohen tune's name is actually "Suzanne".  I wonder if he is still touring?  He must be in his 70's by now.  My wife and her friend went to see him here in Edmonton a few years ago.  She said it was the best concert she had ever been to.  It's tough to cover any of his songs, I would think.  He has such a unique delivery where he is almost talking the song.  247hoopsfan did an admirable job.   

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »

That early Cohen tune's name is actually "Suzanne".  I wonder if he is still touring?  He must be in his 70's by now.  My wife and her friend went to see him here in Edmonton a few years ago.  She said it was the best concert she had ever been to.  It's tough to cover any of his songs, I would think.  He has such a unique delivery where he is almost talking the song.  247hoopsfan did an admirable job.  

Cohen is still active at 82. His last few albums have been terrific. He retired in the early 90's and went into a Zen monastery for five years. When he came out, he found that his manager and friend had embezzled all his money and was forced to go back to work in his 70's. Hey, why would a Zen Buddhist need money? Bad for him but good for the rest of us. At least for Cohen fans as his latter career has been very interesting.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: