Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's a hypocrite now?  (Read 2162 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:02:40 AM »

A while ago, there was a "telegib" posting.
 I slammed the concept, stating clearly, if you wanna a tele, get a tele. (single coil 25.5 inch scale etc.)
Don't put hum buckers in a tele, thinking it will be an SG or les Paul.
 don't put single coils in a Gibson etc.

Respect the process, the art form and the history etc.

Then I read about the guitar Seymour Duncan built for Jeff Beck (decades ago) and what it was, and how Jeff played it and loved it etc.

I have tele's, 3 in fact, as well as two eighties larrivee TC models, one with 2 of Jean's hand wound Humbucking pick-ups. (the original telegib?).

anyways, along comes the New Oxnard Matt version of that famous telegib, at a price I can't refuse.
Rosewood board, two ML humbuckers, (non coil tap) Gibson style tone pros bridge and stop tail piece, so i grab it.

I thought it was used, as the ad said it was, but neither the guitar or the case show any signs of playing, and frankly, it's a friggin' tone monster.

No I wouldn't buy a Larrivee Bakersfield when i have a very fine old tele, but this guitar is certainly a breed unto it's self.

Nope, it's not a tele, body shape, controls, yep, perfect, my all-time fav.
 Sound, punch, drive, tone, with Larrivee's hum bucking pick-ups, is just brilliant, with the single piece swamp ash body.
 nope, doesn't sound like a tele.
 nope, doesn't sound like any SG, Les Paul, or 335 I've owned.

It has it's very own, and very cool sound, tons of depth, and growl, but not as much as the RS4's, and a real lovely upper "chime" that is difficult to explain.

I guess, the bottom line, is, every guitar, wood, shape, and pick up configuration always brings something new to the tone pallet, when running through different stage rigs.

The Malibu, in this case, is no exception.

so there. I've eaten ny own humble pie, with about as much justification i can muster.........

Certainly, bringing out the tele clan and setting them up and playing them side by side, yet again, is indicative of every guitar having such wonderful personalities.

many guitars, one kind, accepting wife. simple.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:20:31 AM »

Its all good.I've played tele's forever and niether of my partscasters is a real tele.My main go to is a 3 pu's {2 bridge's,one in the bridge one in the middle and a standard neck sort of as they are EMG's}.The other has a Golden Era neck pu and a Larrivee tele bridge with a wrap-a-round.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »

Nice post Kevin BUT

gotpics?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »

OK, a couple to look at.
Supposedly, I'm being sent pick up covers (my preference).
Love the single piece "swamp" ash body.

Then it's "Namesake" cousin, equipped with custom Baja Pick-ups (awesome sounding).

And the setting is my 1995 summer ride...
life is good for an old rock'n'roller/hippy folksinger....

Like over 50?

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »

so there. I've eaten ny own humble pie, with about as much justification i can muster.........

+1

Thanks for the pie... I've wanted one of these for awhile; you've just renewed my GAS. Might have to build a Warmoth version, since a lefty Larrivee might not even exist.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »

I slammed the concept, stating clearly, if you wanna a tele, get a tele. (single coil 25.5 inch scale etc.)

Then I read about the guitar Seymour Duncan but for jeff Beck (decades ago) and what it was, and how Jeff played it and loved it etc.

I have tele's, 3 in fact, as well as two eighties larrivee TC models, one with 2 of Jean's hand wound Humbucking pick-ups. (the original telegib?).

anyways, along comes the New Oxnard Matt version of that famous telegib, at a price I can't refuse.
Rosewood board, two ML humbuckers, (non coil tap) Gibson style tone pros bridge and stop tail piece, so i grab it.

I thought it was used, as the ad said it was, but neither the guitar or the case show any signs of playing, and frankly, it's a friggin' tone monster.

No I wouldn't buy a Larrivee Bakersfield when i have a very fine old tele, but this guitar is certainly a breed unto it's self.

Sound, punch, drive, tone, with Larrivee's hum bucking pick-ups, is just brilliant, with the single piece swamp ash body.

It has it's very own, and very cool sound, tons of depth, and growl, but not as much as the RS4's, and a real lovely upper "chime" that is difficult to explain.

I guess, the bottom line, is, every guitar, wood, shape, and pick up configuration always brings something new to the tone pallet, when running through different stage rigs.

Certainly, bringing out the tele clan and setting them up and playing them side by side, yet again, is indicative of every guitar having such wonderful personalities.

All I can say is you are one lucky dog!     I wish I could find one...

George
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 04:28:17 AM »

I made a simple mod to my Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue that gives me a very Tele-like tone when the neck mini PAF and tail slanted HB are 'singled' and combined, skipping the middle sc pup.

There's 13 different pup combinations now on this guitar and while it's not a Strat, nor a Tele, nor an SG nor an LP, it can sound quite a bit like any of them given the right position of the 5 position switch and the tail pup 'on' switch and coil tapping.

So, I can't blame anyone for wanting not-so-standard pup combinations.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
igrishenko

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 11:25:25 PM »

Then I read about the guitar Seymour Duncan built for Jeff Beck (decades ago) and what it was, and how Jeff played it and loved it etc.

Seymour built two Telegibs originally. One went to Jeff Beck and the other he kept. A few years back Seymour worked with Jean and Matt to create a replica of his personal Telegib, the Seymour Duncan 35. There were only 35 made but the Larrivees used that experience and tooling to build what would become the Malibu. So essentially you're getting Larrivee's version of Seymour's personal Telegib

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/seymour-duncan-thirty-five/13917
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 03:58:54 AM »

Seymour built two Telegibs originally. One went to Jeff Beck and the other he kept. A few years back Seymour worked with Jean and Matt to create a replica of his personal Telegib, the Seymour Duncan 35. There were only 35 made but the Larrivees used that experience and tooling to build what would become the Malibu. So essentially you're getting Larrivee's version of Seymour's personal Telegib

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/seymour-duncan-thirty-five/13917

This is good info - thanks for providing the link that proves what many of us remember...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
robwms

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 01:49:59 AM »

OK so you're a rocking hippy folk singer, I know...  .

But can you get anything out of this guitar resembling jazz tones a la Bill Frizell, Ted Greene, Ed Bickert, etc.?

Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »

But can you get anything out of this guitar resembling jazz tones a la Bill Frizell, Ted Greene, Ed Bickert, etc.?

I can't speak to that directly. I know Ed Bickert used to play a  tele, (with an HB in the neck?) so maybe.
 I CAN say that all my other electric guitars, including the tele's only go to C#as far as top note.
Larrivee electrics tend to add the extra fret for D, which of course, just makes perfect sense....

Like over 50?

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 06:19:29 PM »

Absolutely. The tones controls on these guitars are very well voiced (with quality oil-filled capacitors), and unlike a Les Paul, it has a 25.5" scale length, which helps maintain some clarity for those jazzy chord voicing. Matthew's pickups are very versatile; there's a wide range of tones in these guitars.

bowdown

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: