WOWZERS CAPOS ARE NOW WHAT????

Started by headsup, June 20, 2016, 08:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

"The Thalia Capo's unique, patented design is a complete rethinking of the guitar capo. It differs from other trigger style capos because its trigger action is actually reversed, with its lever arm turned around by 180 degrees. This means that you can squeeze the capo with your fretting hand in its natural position on the neck. "

This reminds me of the old senior engineers hazing routine: asking the newbie to clean the headphone reverse switch

WOW......One of my clients gave me one and since I never use them I passed it on to another client that use's them.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on June 20, 2016, 11:04:57 PM
WOW......One of my clients gave me one and since I never use them I passed it on to another client that use's them.

They are very pretty and in this day and age where calipres are cheap and accurate, and overseas manufacturing is cheap (though maybe not quite so accurate) we may see more of these sorts of knock offs.

Anyone tried one yet?

I've been using Shubb's for over 25 years (one is the original one I purchased)   I have two standard steel strings, one that I've cut for partial (double drop D simulation) and one classical.  NONE have ever failed.   I'll stick to what I know!! :winkin:
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Would like to try one. May order one and report back.

Anyone here try one?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Seem to be an American Company. Anyone know if Made in USA or just "Designed in USA" - certainly a critical difference for me at this point in life.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on June 23, 2016, 05:10:46 AM
Seem to be an American Company. Anyone know if Made in USA or just "Designed in USA" - certainly a critical difference for me at this point in life.

From the website:
"The Thalia Capo is designed in the USA and manufactured with a hybrid supply chain model that includes foreign and domestic parts:  zinc die casting and plating is done in China, all inlays are sourced and fabricated in the USA and final assembly and test is done in Orinda, California. Want to see how the Thalia Capo is made? Check out this short video to see the process from beginning to end..."

https://www.thaliacapos.com/pages/how-its-made
Cheers!

Zach
--
OM-03

Quote from: fitness1 on June 22, 2016, 08:42:40 PM
NONE have ever failed.   I'll stick to what I know!! :winkin:

I um... bent the little wheel deal thing on a Shubb.

Quote from: AZLiberty on June 23, 2016, 10:56:54 PM
I um... bent the little wheel deal thing on a Shubb.

My first one was "pre-wheel" and has a groove worn in the metal from the end of the screw - 30 years of metal fatigue :winkin:
You must be a real tough guy to bend that :roll
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

I realize there are folks who have undying love for their favourite capos and that is more than justified.

I suspect this company has taken the idea that G7 uses and ran with it.
I prefer the G7 because, well, it's about the best capo I have found after decades of using every one made-only in that, it's doesn't pull the guitar sharp (even a little on a single string is a problem for me.

What Thalia is offering, which I think is very cool, is different rubber, interchangeable grips for different guitars with different fingerboard contours.

As I play several guitars, this aspect alone might be my buying one.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Meh ... they don't offer one with mahogany wood inlay ...  :angry:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I decided to try the Thalia capo.  I bought the gold with the birdseye maple inlay.  It wasn't cheap but I knew that going into the purchase.  It is physically heavier than any other capo I've ever used, but it is definitely very attractive and is easy to move with the fretting hand.  It comes with a large selection of easily interchangeable fretpads that cover a range of neck radii.  This differs from other capos that are basically a one size fits all.  Larrivee guitars have a slightly larger fretboard radius (16") than what most capos are shaped for.  This can cause an unequal amount of pressure across the strings, a problem that Thalia seems to have solved.  It actually comes with two full sets of fretpads -- one rubber and one teflon -- so you can experiment with the different sound that each material provides.  If you move the capo to a different guitar, it is easy to swap out the fretpad to one with the appropriate radius.  You can even use the same capo on a classical guitar (i.e. flat fretboard) by switching to the appropriate fretpad.  One of the things I like about the precise fretpad fit is that you can place the capo further back from the fret, causing less conflict with the capo when playing some chords.  All in all, I would say I'm happy with the purchase.  As far as the higher pricing is concerned, nothing is too good for my Larrivee!  :smile:
Ross J.
Keswick, Ontario, Canada

Larrivee LV-03 (Maple Leaf Inlays) - 2016
Simon & Patrick Quilted Maple Dreadnaught - 1995
Seagull Artist "Tuxedo Black" - 2021
S. Yairi Classical - 1979

...and lots of harmonicas!

Looks like it would work. How much is it? I have a few capoes and am a sucker for cool gear but I won't pay an arm and a leg for it. I like my Planet Waves NS capo, I like my G7 capo and I like my Shubb. Is this really better?  :?

I'm fine with my Shubbs.  I have one in each case.  If I run into someone with one of the Thalia's, I will probably try it (if they let me).

Ed

I don't mind spending a lot on a capo.  But, I'm not going to spend a lot on a fashion capo made in China.  No thanks.  I did spend a bit on a couple of brass ones that were custom made to fit a couple of my acoustics, down to the fretboard radius, width, etc,etc.  That was worth every penny and actually improved the sound too.

And, these companies that give this "Designed in ____" line irritate me.  It's like seeing a bottle of orange juice that says "Fat Free!!"
When you insult my intelligence, you lose my business right at the gate.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on December 15, 2016, 03:00:09 AM
I don't mind spending a lot on a capo.  But, I'm not going to spend a lot on a fashion capo made in China.  No thanks.  I did spend a bit on a couple of brass ones that were custom made to fit a couple of my acoustics, down to the fretboard radius, width, etc,etc.  That was worth every penny and actually improved the sound too.

And, these companies that give this "Designed in ____" line irritate me.  It's like seeing a bottle of orange juice that says "Fat Free!!"
When you insult my intelligence, you lose my business right at the gate.
100%  :+1:

I had one. They are on their second edition, which improved a couple issues.
Mine was first edition. Beautiful and well made. It worked as promised, but:
What I didn't like - spring tension was too strong and made it hard to apply. They changed that and the fulcrum point on the second edition.
Also - if applied like other capo's, it was kind of clumsy. They actually recommended applying from the underside of the  neck.
It had a really large presence around the neck - more than I liked.

I believe they streamlined it a little more in 2nd edition.

Quote from: Bosco Bear on December 12, 2016, 04:10:38 PM
I decided to try the Thalia capo.  I bought the gold with the birdseye maple inlay.  It wasn't cheap but I knew that going into the purchase.  It is physically heavier than any other capo I've ever used, but it is definitely very attractive and is easy to move with the fretting hand.  It comes with a large selection of easily interchangeable fretpads that cover a range of neck radii.  This differs from other capos that are basically a one size fits all.  Larrivee guitars have a slightly larger fretboard radius (16") than what most capos are shaped for.  This can cause an unequal amount of pressure across the strings, a problem that Thalia seems to have solved.  It actually comes with two full sets of fretpads -- one rubber and one teflon -- so you can experiment with the different sound that each material provides.  If you move the capo to a different guitar, it is easy to swap out the fretpad to one with the appropriate radius.  You can even use the same capo on a classical guitar (i.e. flat fretboard) by switching to the appropriate fretpad.  One of the things I like about the precise fretpad fit is that you can place the capo further back from the fret, causing less conflict with the capo when playing some chords.  All in all, I would say I'm happy with the purchase.  As far as the higher pricing is concerned, nothing is too good for my Larrivee!  :smile:

Thank you for the review.  I really appreciate the info on the fret board radius vs the capo's shape. I have a couple capo's and after reading this, took a look at how they were seating.  The outside ends are definitely higher.  Being able to move the capo a little further from the fret would also be great.  I'm still a novice but some songs that need a capo like James Taylor can be a bugger to play if the capo is cramping your hand.  I'm gonna pick up one of these beauties as, there is "nothing too good..."  I just have to figure out which one! 

Cheers -