Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80s Larrivee with slanted single coil neck pickup  (Read 1445 times)
rocketroll

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »

Anyone knows the story behind this configuration? Where they also called R- or LS2?

Just stumbled upon an old blog post featuring one

http://musicalpath.blogspot.se/2011/10/1988-larrivee-custom-rs2-cm.html

Cheers

1988 Larrivée RS-2 C
1990 Hamer Chaparral Elite Sustainiac
1987 The ESP Eclipse Custom FR
1975 Fender Twin Reverb, Tommy Folkesson mod Mk III
Rockman Soloist
Rockman X100
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 01:07:56 AM »

No I don't really. At this time Larrivee were making just about anything desired by a customer so there were often many "one-offs" such as custom paint jobs and pick up configurations.

Generally speaking this guitar would be a  RS something as a neck thru strat style.

They followed a naming pattern based on this:

There are two main branches to the model tree: bolt-on necks and neck-thru-bodies. Bolt-on neck guitars had model names beginning with "L" (for Larrivee) and neck-thru-body designs had names beginning with "R". Numbers were used to designate pickup configuration, as follows:

1 - Single humbucker in bridge position
    2 - Double humbuckers
    3 - Three single coils
    4 - Two single coils plus a humbucker in the bridge position

Thus, an LS-3 was a bolt on neck design with 3 single coil pickups. An RS-2 would be a neck-thru-body design with 2 humbuckers. Body designs were not copies, exactly, but they were certainly derivative. The "S" in LS-3 stood for Strat* derived body (Larrivee Strat*-style -3 pickup), while an LT-2 would have been a Tele* derived body.

It should be noted the the current model RS-4 does not follow this naming path.

Hope this sheds some light for you

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 01:13:14 AM »

Here is my RS-4 from 1986

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:17:11 AM »

And there is this modern one with the offset HB

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:43 PM »

Interesting,

I was going to post an inquiry this morning (still might) about if or who might have any printed material from the eighties electric builds, and how they were marketed.

I have 3 or 4 at last count, and I play them all.

Certainly, from my understanding, the RS4 CM (carved maple top) was the top of the heap (neck through), and the LT1 I think was the lower end- (simple, single every thing)

If anyone DOES have access to old print catalogue etc, please shoot me a note or post it?

Thanks.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:14:30 PM »

check out my purple one in a previous post (wife's guitar-she lets me play it, like all the others I buy for her..... whistling

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
rocketroll

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »

Generally speaking this guitar would be a  RS something as a neck thru strat style.

Just got confirmed that Larrivée called the H/S configuration "2" as well. Confirmed by Wendy Larrivée herself in a personal note that came with a 1988 H/S RS-2C

(C= carved solid color alder top)

1988 Larrivée RS-2 C
1990 Hamer Chaparral Elite Sustainiac
1987 The ESP Eclipse Custom FR
1975 Fender Twin Reverb, Tommy Folkesson mod Mk III
Rockman Soloist
Rockman X100
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: