Does anyone really need both OM and L body guitars?

Started by morrow22, May 10, 2016, 07:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

i recently played a couple of oms that were outstanding guitars, but the Ls without the cutaway(i hate cutaways on acoustic--i mean really if you need to go up there lift you hand a little and they cut a lot of tone),  the Ls without cutaway are unique and great guitars.  nothing else like them and they are at the top of the guitar world while still being the best priced top guitars out there.  i have strange 1975 L09 which is slightly different in measurements,  but i would never sell, it's an amazing guitar. and an 83 as well which is louder and not as complex overtones but also a great guitar.  so get an L!!!

i have covetted a gurian for a long time. they were the closest thing to the L series back in the day.  i haven't actually played a gurian for years, so i do wonder if they still hold up? my taste and knowledege has changed.

Quote from: ollaimh on May 24, 2016, 11:44:16 PM
i recently played a couple of oms that were outstanding guitars, but the Ls without the cutaway(i hate cutaways on acoustic--i mean really if you need to go up there lift you hand a little and they cut a lot of tone),  the Ls without cutaway are unique and great guitars.  nothing else like them and they are at the top of the guitar world while still being the best priced top guitars out there.  i have strange 1975 L09 which is slightly different in measurements,  but i would never sell, it's an amazing guitar. and an 83 as well which is louder and not as complex overtones but also a great guitar.  so get an L!!!

i have covetted a gurian for a long time. they were the closest thing to the L series back in the day.  i haven't actually played a gurian for years, so i do wonder if they still hold up? my taste and knowledege has changed.

Hi, I also have a ca. 1982-83 L model (L-07).  I would be interested in seeing some pics of yours for comparison.  Here are some pics of mine.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 18, 2016, 10:26:09 PM
Buy as many as you like. If you ever have to sell them to pay the bills at least you won't lose too much, its much better than a gambling addiction.   :donut2  :donut  :coffee

I agree about the gambling addiction,  but take issue with the former. 
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on May 25, 2016, 04:43:12 PM
I agree about the gambling addiction,  but take issue with the former. 
My point was at least you could get some of your money back, didn't mean for it to sound like you wouldn't lose any money selling the guitars. No one wins gambling except the house, you can't get that money back. With guitars if you wait long enough you can at least break even, assuming you live long enough.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

In the span of ten months I've bought two Larrivees (OM and L), sold one (the L) and am already thinking about my next move. All this while I get to play amazing guitars that, when my friends come over, turns their heads in amazement. I'm fairly new to this world of acoustic guitar fandom, but it's already turning out to be a lot of fun.  :donut :donut2 :coffee :nanadance
Glad to have owned a few nice guitars

True enough, need does not enter the equation.  Really want does, however.

I have a Larrivee L-05 and agree with others that the L-series is Larrivee's Flagship Model.  I love it, and I love the sound, and it sounds different from all of my other guitars. I would never sell it.
I have a Morgan mahogany OMM model, and it is by far my favorite guitar.  I love it, and I love the sound, and it sounds different from all of my other guitars.  I would never sell it.
Sound familiar?   :thumb

Bino
Larrivee L-05
Larrivee D-03RW
Morgan OMM
Guild 2000 D30 (RI)
Guild 1977 D40 (RI)

Bino

Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnought D40 (2019)
Guild Maple Dreadnought D30 (2001)
Morgan OMM Mahogany OM (2003)
Morgan OMR Rosewood OM (2018)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L-05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnought D-03R (2011) For Sale
Andrew White Cybele 110 (2018)

As wonderful as an OM can be, there are several other mid-sized body shapes that are different and can be equally wonderful.  The Larrivee L is one of those, along with the 00,  12-fret 000, 0000, the Webber Roundbody, and a variety of GA/mini-jumbo designs (there are many of these).  Mostly due to ergonomics, and to some extent because of sonics and behaviors, I'm not a fan of smaller guitars (e.g., 0, parlor) or larger guitars (e.g., D, jumbo).  The range that works best for me is between 00 and mini-jumbo.  From anecdotal experience, no one shape in that range is better than the others, just different, and often in nice ways.