Haiduk - Demonicon [metal]

Started by haiduk, May 23, 2016, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greetings!

Blackened death metal solo project HAIDUK returns with a crushing new release!
"DEMONICON"!

Inspired by fantasy books & games. CD booklet features a map and short stories relating to demons from the volcanic fortress of Octavia in the realm of Callost. Check out and comment!

metal crypt    [4/5]
metal-rules    [4/5]
brutalism    [5/5]
canadian beats    [5/5]
bravewords    [8/10]
blackened death [8/10]
metal trenches   [9/10]
pest webzine    [8.5/10]

Yeah.   Well.    Welcome I guess.    :wacko:

Skillful playing for sure.  Not the genre for me, though.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Albertan

Kurt in Edmonton
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Thanks, I'll pass though. I don't consider such matters cool nor trivial.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Haiduk, please read the forum rules before posting again.   

Thanks for checking it out. It's not everyone's cup of tea that's for sure.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome, Kurt. Nice to see a fellow Albertan!

And how many Larrivee's were shredded in the making of your music, Mr. Haiduk?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 25, 2016, 12:04:01 AM

Would everything be OK with you if he had happened to use an RS-4?!?

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on May 25, 2016, 12:47:34 AM

No. I didn't listen to it and don't care for phony demon rock. There's enough evil in the world without playing with it and delighting in it. Besides, I generally find the stuff silly to the extreme. Black Sabbath were one of the worst bands I ever had the displeasure of hearing. Thud rock.  

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 25, 2016, 10:24:00 AM

...There's enough evil in the world without playing with it and delighting in it...

I am with you on this one.
Anthony J. Dern

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 25, 2016, 12:04:01 AM
Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on May 25, 2016, 12:47:34 AM
Tom,
Actually, my reply was directed at (the reverend) Mikeymac.  I couldn't find any relevance in his question to the OP about how many Larrivees were shredded.  I don't recall such a question being asked of other contributors of music such as Denis, or Maplebaby, et al.

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 25, 2016, 10:24:00 AM
No. I didn't listen to it and don't care for phony demon rock. There's enough evil in the world without playing with it and delighting in it. Besides, I generally find the stuff silly to the extreme. Black Sabbath were one of the worst bands I ever had the displeasure of hearing. Thud rock.   
I'm not sure I even understand what demon rock is.  Is it in the lyrics?  The song titles?  The style of playing?  The scooped and highly distorted tone used?  I didn't hear any demonic or evil lyrics.  Hell, I couldn't even understand what was being said when there were actual words being spoken.  It was all growly and garbled.   Reminded me of something like "I am Iron Man", or "Careful with that axe, Eugene".

As far as the actual "music" being played, I found it skillful, but contrived, simplistic, repetitious, lacking in any dynamics, and boring to listen to for more than a minute or so.  And I refuse to forcefully slam my head back and forth, invoking a pseudo-concussion, just to get the full effect.  Like I said, not the genre for me.

Black Sabbath had some appeal for me when they first came out and I was just a high-school would-be rock star.  I think it was because they were so new and different at the time and we all wondered how they made those heavy metal sounds.  I never considered they were sending some kind of demonic vibe.  At least they had some structure to their songs with verses and choruses and more than just one chord being droned into your brain like the examples submitted by the OP.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on May 26, 2016, 02:32:43 AM
Tom,
Actually, my reply was directed at (the reverend) Mikeymac.  I couldn't find any relevance in his question to the OP about how many Larrivees were shredded.  I don't recall such a question being asked of other contributors of music such as Denis, or Maplebaby, et al.
I'm not sure I even understand what demon rock is.  Is it in the lyrics?  The song titles?  The style of playing?  The scooped and highly distorted tone used?  I didn't hear any demonic or evil lyrics.  Hell, I couldn't even understand what was being said when there were actual words being spoken.  It was all growly and garbled.   Reminded me of something like "I am Iron Man", or "Careful with that axe, Eugene".

As far as the actual "music" being played, I found it skillful, but contrived, simplistic, repetitious, lacking in any dynamics, and boring to listen to for more than a minute or so.  And I refuse to forcefully slam my head back and forth, invoking a pseudo-concussion, just to get the full effect.  Like I said, not the genre for me.

Black Sabbath had some appeal for me when they first came out and I was just a high-school would-be rock star.  I think it was because they were so new and different at the time and we all wondered how they made those heavy metal sounds.  I never considered they were sending some kind of demonic vibe.  At least they had some structure to their songs with verses and choruses and more than just one chord being droned into your brain like the examples submitted by the OP.

Well, maybe it's something in the image provided and the name DEMONICON. OOO scary! Anyway, I find it all unnecessarily provocative, extremely silly and childish.

It would probably work really well being played on this, however.  :laughin:

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on May 26, 2016, 02:32:43 AM

Tom,
Actually, my reply was directed at (the reverend) Mikeymac.  I couldn't find any relevance in his question to the OP about how many Larrivees were shredded.  I don't recall such a question being asked of other contributors of music such as Denis, or Maplebaby, et al.

I asked the question because his (first, I believe) post on the Larrivee Forum seemed totally self-promoting and seemed to have nothing to do with Larrivee guitars or anything related to Larrivee guitars. Why post here if you're not even a Larrivee owner? The fact that he didn't say it was recorded on an RS-4 (or Bakersfield, etc.) certainly supports my theory...

I guess it's all good... he can post away. We don't have to read his posts, or click on his links. But it doesn't seem that he's been back, either.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 28, 2016, 01:44:44 PM
I asked the question because his (first, I believe) post on the Larrivee Forum seemed totally self-promoting and seemed to have nothing to do with Larrivee guitars or anything related to Larrivee guitars. Why post here if you're not even a Larrivee owner? The fact that he didn't say it was recorded on an RS-4 (or Bakersfield, etc.) certainly supports my theory...

I guess it's all good... he can post away. We don't have to read his posts, or click on his links. But it doesn't seem that he's been back, either.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

I guess I was never under the impression that you had to own a Larrivee or play one to be a participant in our forum.  We have often touted ourselves as being more accepting of folks than some of the other guitar forums, including not being such "brand snobs" as some of them are reported to be.  After all, we do have purposely-created forum topics on other brands, artists, technical discussion, and non-guitar discussion.

You are correct, we don't have to read his posts, etc.  And he likely won't be back.  Probably because he got a poor reception.  So in that respect, he has been successfully rejected.   :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee
:cheers

Quote from: haiduk on May 23, 2016, 04:31:07 PM
Greetings!

Blackened death metal solo project HAIDUK returns with a crushing new release!
"DEMONICON"!

Inspired by fantasy books & games. CD booklet features a map and short stories relating to demons from the volcanic fortress of Octavia in the realm of Callost. Check out and comment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNzg3i4ACg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeiFCiTZXIc

metal crypt    [4/5]
metal-rules    [4/5]
brutalism    [5/5]
canadian beats    [5/5]
bravewords    [8/10]
blackened death [8/10]
metal trenches   [9/10]
pest webzine    [8.5/10]

Album Available At:
http://www.haiduk.ca

Here is his first post Kurt. Have you no discernment?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on May 29, 2016, 12:27:45 AM
Here is his first post Kurt. Have you no discernment?

I guess I'm just very naïve.  I didn't discern any evil, and didn't think any rules were broken.  If he broke a forum rule by advertising his album and including a link to it, then the admins. could have and should have stopped it, but they didn't.  Since that didn't happen, I treated his post like any other and evaluated it on face value.  In that assumption, I was wrong or at least not in the majority.  I need to state that my issue is not with accepting or rejecting the music submitted, but with the fact that a certain member would be the first to use the "not owning a Larrivee" card as the basis to reject a poster.  I just think we should be more accepting. 

It's all a matter of principle to me.  Nothing more, nothing less.

There must be some references in his first post that I don't fully comprehend or understand.  I'm just not informed enough or intelligent enough to recognize them.  If this genre truly promotes evil, then I am totally against it.  I didn't think it fair to reject him, so tried to welcome him in a friendly way in spite of the fact that I didn't like his "music" at all.

Don't get me wrong, while I personally disapprove of fooling around with demonic images and all, I'm on Zappa's side not Tipper Gore's. I still mostly just find it silly and childish. 

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on May 29, 2016, 02:01:37 AM
 If he broke a forum rule by advertising his album and including a link to it, then the admins. could have and should have stopped it, but they didn't.  

Just for general information purposes:    On May 24, one day after the original post, I sent a PM  to Haiduk.    I informed him that it appeared as though he had not read the forum rules and as a result he had posted a thread where the only obvious purpose was to promote and sell his music.    I offered to apologize if I was mistaken in this perception but i would need to see some evidence to the contrary.  He responded that he intended to be a regular contributor to the forum.    I decided to give him a few days to demonstrate his willingness to read and abide by the rules.   As of today I have seen no evidence that would make me think this is anything more than self-promotion.   I don't care about the merits of the music itself.   But the post clearly violates the letter and spirit of our rules.  So I have removed the links to the site where you can buy his music.    Members are still free to contact him for information if they are interested in hearing or purchasing his music.

T