Martin D3

Started by unclrob, May 21, 2016, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorry I have no pix but as someone who has played hundreds of Martins and count on my hands the number I like this is an amazing guitar.Its basically a Martin D35 in a satin finish.Bound rosewood fingerboard,nice 3 piece back,great neck feel.So if you see one you should check it out,the one that came thru the shop was 4 years old. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on May 21, 2016, 05:58:05 PM
Sorry I have no pix but as someone who has played hundreds of Martins and count on my hands the number I like this is an amazing guitar.Its basically a Martin D35 in a satin finish.Bound rosewood fingerboard,nice 3 piece back,great neck feel.So if you see one you should check it out,the one that came thru the shop was 4 years old. :wave

A D-35 is my favorite Martin. I'd like to try one. Maybe GC in Appleton will have one.  :beer

There's one on eBay now

Quote from: tuffythepug on May 22, 2016, 09:11:22 AM
There's one on eBay now

Oh, I don't want to buy one, just try one.  :whistling:   

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 22, 2016, 06:22:58 PM
Oh, I don't want to buy one, just try one.  :whistling:   

I know, I was just mentioning it so people could see the pics and read the description

I am having my 1973 Martin D35 neck reset performed under the Martin warranty.  They wanted the luthier to provide the condition of the guitar and decided to have it done on their dime as a "courtesy".  I sent the registration card in when I bought it in 1973.  Love the guitar

Who now a warranted neck reset is a "courtesy" from Martin?  What's up with that?  I heard some rumblings that they are not going to do neck resets under warranty any longer. Is this true? I am disappointed in the company if this is the road they've taken.

Rb

Quote from: rbpicker on September 09, 2016, 04:06:46 PM
Who now a warranted neck reset is a "courtesy" from Martin?  What's up with that?  I heard some rumblings that they are not going to do neck resets under warranty any longer. Is this true? I am disappointed in the company if this is the road they've taken.

Rb

If I'm reading comments correctly over on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, neck resets are paid for by the customer... however, I don't know if this is only after a certain period of time, say 20 years (with anything less being under warranty). Maybe someone else has a more accurate answer?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: rbpicker on September 09, 2016, 04:06:46 PM

Rb

I don't have a lot of experience with Martin Guitars or knowledge about their warrantees, but doing a neck reset on a 43 year old guitar for no charge is exemplary customer service.  Try and find that kind of guarantee anywhere else.  They have no control over how the guitar was treated over all those years, or what environmental conditions it was subjected to.  If it was a 100 year old guitar, should they still do it for free?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

The neck reset is being performed only after the luthier inspected the guitar and found no signs of abuse or neglect.  He stated to me that the guitar's condition was as good as you could get and saw none better for the age it was.   The first time I tried to get Martin to cover the warranty, I called and got a "no way are we going to cover this".  The second time I went through a series of E-Mails and finally convinced that it should be 'covered'.  One of their arguing points was of the limited lifetime warranty.  I stated that my original documentation says "All Martin Instruments are warranted to the original owner, without time limit, against defective material or imperfect workmanship" and told them to stop changing the warranty wording using limited.  Their final position was "The evaluation process will determine the condition of the guitar,  focusing on whether a guitar has been properly maintained in regards to humidity, impact,  or neglect.  If a guitar is over humidified or under humidified, warranty coverage will be denied.  In addition, if it is determined the guitar has not been played for a considerable amount time period, we will view this as neglect.  The Authorized Service Center will inspect the neck joint of your D-35.  Neck resets fall into one of two categories: open neck joint or action related.  If the neck reset is due to action related issues, this is not considered manufacture defect. "

The good news is they said they were going to have it done as a courtesy.  I mean think about it, how many original owners of 43 year old guitars are asking for warranty coverage?