Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Pono Players?  (Read 4383 times)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »

I just received my new Pono yesterday.  Though I initially ordered a D12-20, I changed to order (don't ask why) to a OO-40VS -- a OO-sized 6-string with spruce top, ebony back and sides, slotted headstock, 12 fret neck, and 24.75" scale.  It was shipped (2 day air) 3 working days after the order.  It's beautifully made: good craftsmanship, gorgeous wood, excellent finish.  And well set up.

The sound has a definite character.  Compared to my L-03Z, it's both louder (!!!) and has more mid-low emphasis (though maybe not as much deep bass).  It has tremendous sustain; so much more than the Larrivee that it can get muddy with my fingerpicking.  I'll need to adjust my playing for that.  Overall, it makes the Larrivee sound delicate in comparison.  I'm surprised.  I'll be trying other strings in the coming weeks.

Audio (or video?) clips, if time allows...    please.

Ed
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 12:21:06 AM »

I have had several Pono guitars from parlor to dreadnaught.  Each was nice but lacked sufficient lower end bass.  I have sold/traded each one.
yellowesty

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 01:25:32 AM »

"Audio (or video?) clips, if time allows...    please."

If I knew how.   

I took a couple of pictures, but don't have a website to post from.  Is there a way to upload photos to the Larrivee Forum?

L-03Z
Pono OO-40VS
Teton STS105NT (beach guitar)
2 (and counting) home-made guitars
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 04:02:06 AM »

"Audio (or video?) clips, if time allows...    please."

If I knew how.   

I took a couple of pictures, but don't have a website to post from.  Is there a way to upload photos to the Larrivee Forum?

Here is a link to the instructions for attaching pics.  I believe the file size limit has increased somewhat since the instructions were last updated.  http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=17645.0

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

yellowesty

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 05:24:29 PM »

Thanks.

Pono OO-40VS

L-03Z
Pono OO-40VS
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »

Great looking guitar....   hope she sounds as good as she looks....   nice guitar

BobW... 
yellowesty

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »

Thanks.  Yes, it really is good looking.  Very nice woods -- both the very nicely grained spruce top and the ebony back/sides -- with great detailing in the purfling, etc. and impeccable workmanship.  Go Pono!!!

Sound?  I need to get used to it.  My Larrivee is the first great-sounding guitar I've owned, so when I got my Pono (which I couldn't audition before purchase), I was taken aback by how different it sounds than my L-03Z.  On the other hand, I wouldn't really want two guitars that sounded the same.  The Pono is much more "resonant," and, I now appreciate how crisp and airy the Larrivee sound is.  Both have similar sustain, but the Pono seems to excite all the strings and has a richer and fuller sound.  I think they'll prove to be complementary: the Larrivee for more delicate music, the Pono for more robust.  I am a bit surprised that the smaller guitar has a larger sound.  I'll certainly be trying different strings in the future -- for both guitars.

It's a few days later now -- I've been playing both guitars and I find that I'm picking up the Pono more often than the Larrivee.   ohmy
My earlier comments still hold; the Larrivee is crisp and airy while the Pono is richer and fuller.  Each produces a delightful tone.  But very different.  Variety!!   

L-03Z
Pono OO-40VS
yellowesty

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 04:43:56 PM »

It's been three weeks and it's time to update my comments on my Pono 00 with ebony b/s.  As I continued to play it, I realized that what I described earlier as "much more resonant," was showing mainly as a wolf tone on the third string, G, G#, F.  I asked the folks as Pono about it and they suggested that "in time (let’s say a month or two depending how much you play), the guitar will sound more rounded and the “wolf notes” should subside." 

Not being all that patient, I bought some brass bridge pins, hoping that by increasing the mass of the bridge I would alter the main soundboard resonance enough to disrupt the wolf tone.  It worked!  (I will no longer doubt comments about bridge pins affecting sound -- though I do expect that the major effect is due to the mass of the pins.)  My Pono still has a very pleasant, warm sound, and now it has more clarity and consistency across the strings. 

I will note that the difference in sound between my Pono and my L-03Z is significantly less than before.  But I like them both.   

L-03Z
Pono OO-40VS
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 06:30:01 PM »

Thanks for that update. Am still curious about the Pono's, but still can't talk myself into gambling on it. Mainly cause the body is a tad thinner than my OO's and I worry about losing some mid-range and bass tones.

I often wonder if I have wolf notes on my OO-05. From time to time I get those what-the-heck-was-that? notes. I've had a fellow guitar player comment on it, but it's so transient and my hearing is so bad that I've never been able to replicate it on demand to further diagnose it. I do know that my string height is somewhat low so I tell myself it's just a random string buzz. I also never hear it when I'm using a capo so there's that. . .

I did an experiment with bass pins once on an all hog guitar I was unhappy with and what I concluded was that the extra weight dampened the soundboard to the extend of robbing some overall sustain & resonance. So it was a short lived experiment.

bowdown  And one more polite nag  if you can see your way to doing a sound recording of your Pono. A cell phone video/recording would be enough. Need not be fancy, maybe some chord strumming and scales or such. Be glad to assist in how you'd upload it to say, a google drive, so we could hear it.

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 11:52:22 PM »

I did an experiment with bass pins once on an all hog guitar I was unhappy with and what I concluded was that the extra weight dampened the soundboard to the extend of robbing some overall sustain & resonance. So it was a short lived experiment.

That is so goofy...  I have one guitar that benefitted with greatly increased sustain and volume with brass pins, but no other guitar (of mine) has been positively affected with brass pins.  I try to reason it through, and I just can't.

bowdown  And one more polite nag  if you can see your way to doing a sound recording of your Pono. A cell phone video/recording would be enough. Need not be fancy, maybe some chord strumming and scales or such. Be glad to assist in how you'd upload it to say, a google drive, so we could hear it.

Yep, I'd be grateful, too.  (Though there are a bunch of Pono samples on YouTube to get an idea of what they sound like.)

Ed
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 12:33:47 AM »

That is so goofy...  I have one guitar that benefitted with greatly increased sustain and volume with brass pins, but no other guitar (of mine) has been positively affected with brass pins.  I try to reason it through, and I just can't.

Ed

I had the exact same experience and I cannot explain it either...  Each one seems to have its very own personality...

George
yellowesty

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »

To recap, I've had my Pono OO-40VS for a bit over 6 weeks. It had a serious wolf tone on unfretted G (or developed one soon after I got the guitar). I asked the factory and they said, "let it settle, the wolf tone will go away." I swapped over to heavy, brass bridge pins and they changed the top frequency enough that the wolf tone was gone. I played it hard every day for a half hour or so, and yesterday swapped back to the plastic (?) pins that came with the guitar. Now, NO WOLF TONE.   

nice guitar

The guitar is well made, good looking, and (now) has a delightful, warm sound.  It certainly sounds different than my L-03Z.  To my (very untrained, unprofessional) ear, the Larrivee is has a clean, crisp, somewhat clinical sound, while the Pono is more resonant, warm, harmonic, extroverted.  And loud!  As an OO-sized guitar, it's quite a bit smaller than the L-body, but it seems louder.  Both have similar sustain and the Larrivee has more bass, but the Pono really projects. 

YMMV.   

L-03Z
Pono OO-40VS
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 10:52:59 PM »

Thanks for the update and congrats on the wolf note going away.

I'm still tempted on getting a cutaway mahogany OO, I saw a thread on another forum that Pono had a year end clearance sale last year, so I may hold out and see if they repeat that this year.

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
GASguy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 11:23:29 PM »

I have a Pono Baritone Nui, in spruce and rosewood, which is essentially a tenor guitar size instrument, but with wound and nylon strings rather than steel strings.

It is a good looking and good sounding instrument but more like an over-sized large baritone ukulele rather than a guitar.

Build quality and fit / finish are very good.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 04:38:16 AM »

Not being all that patient, I bought some brass bridge pins, hoping that by increasing the mass of the bridge I would alter the main soundboard resonance enough to disrupt the wolf tone.  It worked!  (I will no longer doubt comments about bridge pins affecting sound -- though I do expect that the major effect is due to the mass of the pins.)  My Pono still has a very pleasant, warm sound, and now it has more clarity and consistency across the strings. 

The brass pins probably weigh 5x the original non-brass pins.  That will change the way that the top resonates.  Simple physics.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: