Anyone here have a post-2012 Martin D-18?

Started by Mikeymac, May 13, 2016, 12:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I'm late to the party on this - Martin basically merged two of their D-18's together (one being the standard model) to create an updated Standard D-18.

Had I known about the specs of this guitar before I ordered my D-35, I might have bought a D-18 instead (although I really like the D-35, which sounds great at one year old). Some of the specs that are appealing:

1 3/4" nut
scalloped, forward shifted braces
faux-tortoise body binding (my favorite)
Open back tuners with butterbean knobs

Along with this you get the great punch, thump and volume of a mahogany dread.

Anyway - does anyone here own one of these? Is it all that?

I've got a custom Larrivee L-05 (all hog) coming in a few weeks, so this will have to wait for quite awhile, but it is tempting me...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I can't really help you. My mahogany dread is a D-05 and I prefer it to any D-18 I've played (which admittedly is probably less than ten) and the D-35 is my favorite Martian ... er ... Martin. I'd bet that short of an "Authentic 1939" D-18 @ almost 7k, your D-35 will be a nicer guitar. I wouldn't trade mine. The all hog L-05 sounds like it will be fine indeed. Have you ever tried a D-05?

Just an observation and no harm meant.
If you doubt every previous purchase of a certain guitar model because a newer and improved version of it comes along, you will never be satisfied and will spend a lot of time and money in your quest for that holy grail guitar.  And when you finally get that holy grail one, it will only satisfy you until the next "ultimate" version comes out.  Meanwhile, who's playing and enjoying the guitar(s) you already have?!?  Is there any D-18, D-28, D-35, D-02, D-03, D-05 (throw in other makers here, etc. etc.) that really sounds that bad?  The "perfect" tone doesn't exist because it's characteristics can't be described by any one expert or even a group of experts.  Even if it could, 95% of the people listening to it couldn't care less.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

You guys both make some great, valid points. I do have a D-03, as you no doubt saw. It's a fine sounding guitar, but I have noticed that the D-35, at one year old seems to be a superior instrument in volume and tone (I know, it cost twice as much too...).

One of the main appeals of the new D-18 is the 1.75" nut width; which would also be a special order on a Larrivee (unless you go with the SD model).

I'm not jumping the gun - I have an all hog L-05 coming real soon - that will no doubt be a fine sounding instrument - and will keep me smiling for a long time. Maybe I'm just suffering from "residual gas" while I wait - the L-05 was ordered back in early November, so I'm getting antsy!

I do get the point about always looking for a holy grail instrument - I really am over that (esp. with electrics and amps); but human nature is such that the heart wants what the eye sees. Lord have mercy!

True dat. I think I have satisfied my GAS for a long time, however. I see guitars that I like but nothing I need. Of course, I bought a crap load of guitars between 2001 and 2012. I knew I wouldn't be doing that once I retired.  And once I remarried!  :roll

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 13, 2016, 10:48:28 PM
.........................I do get the point about always looking for a holy grail instrument - I really am over that (esp. with electrics and amps); but human nature is such that the heart wants what the eye sees. Lord have mercy!

True enough.  And nothing wrong with going after something for it' sheer beauty, historical significance, or you just gotta have it.  I've been guilty of that in the past. With guitars more recently, and with stereo equipment and photography stuff in the past.

When I was much younger and first married, (and much to my wife's displeasure), I became an "audiophile" obsessed with obtaining the next greatest amplifier, tape recorder, record player and speaker technology.  I pored over stereo magazines, and read all about the technical advantages of different equipment, often buying new stuff to get the ultimate listening experience.  I even became somewhat of a brand snob.  Then, one day about 15 years ago,  I realized that my stereo just sounds damn good period and I should just enjoy listening to the music.  Now the only time something get's replaced is if it quits working.

I had the same kind of obsession with cameras, lenses, and such during the same period.  My wife is a saint for putting up with some of my purchases.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

I picked one up recently after being stuck on the sound and playability of the revamped D-18 at GC a several months ago.  It easily stood out above everything I tried in the store on multiple visitis.  It's a fantastic guitar with the classic Martin thump and nostalgia.  I haven't been able to put it down.  The performance neck is fantastic.  Close to my Larrivee's minus the fretboard radius.  I love the satin neck and 1 3/4" width.  I picked mine up used and got a great deal on it.  It has a complexity, depth and richness to it that is very satisfying to my ears and my Larrivee's don't possess.  My only nit pick is I prefer satin finish guitars over gloss.

As for contentment, hobbies in general are an ever evolving sport.  Our preferences often evolve as we experience new things.  I purchased a D-28 in 2002 because at the time I had more money than guitar experience or time and it was what people recommended.  I never bonded with or enjoyed that guitar, but I was also still a newb.  I sold that guitar in 2012 and started searching for sound.  I went through several brands and models before determining I was a mahogany guy.  Now I have an OM-40 and and L-03PW and recently added the D-18.  Do I need them all?  Not necessarily, but I love them all. 

There's no harm in trying or liking different things than what we own.  We should all be more content and grateful for what we have, but we shouldn't be shamed for continuing the search.  Especially if we find enjoyment doing so and it isn't driving us into financial debt or hurting our relationships with loved ones.  Some folks are one and done guitar owners, some like variety.  Nothing wrong with either.

Quote from: thegreatgumbino on May 15, 2016, 05:24:02 AM

There's no harm in trying or liking different things than what we own.  We should all be more content and grateful for what we have, but we shouldn't be shamed for continuing the search.  Especially if we find enjoyment doing so and it isn't driving us into financial debt or hurting our relationships with loved ones.  Some folks are one and done guitar owners, some like variety.  Nothing wrong with either.

Well said.  :+1:

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on May 15, 2016, 12:21:22 AM
I had the same kind of obsession with cameras, lenses, and such during the same period.  My wife is a saint for putting up with some of my purchases.

We have similar saints for wives I guess! 

Look at this "lens"!

I was 9.5 years on a waiting list for that bad boy...  :wacko:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Mikey I played one and if it wasn't for my frozen shoulder I wouldn't have thought twice purchasing one myself. Instead I purchased a new 000-18. Martin got this one right. Very affordable too may I add. You can't go wrong mate.

Well, I just found (and bought) a used 2012 D-18 (on the UMGF forum) for $1,400 - it will be here next Wednesday. I'll probably start a new thread when it arrives. Will be interesting to compare it to my 2010 D-03 Alpine Spruce top...

Now I'm going through the GAS waiting game!

Looking forward to your review.  Great price you got.