Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever own/owned a Rainsong Carbon Fiber guitar?  (Read 3844 times)
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2016, 08:13:33 PM »

I'm thinking of getting a Rainsong Shorty SG to take to places I travel to where I cannot control the environment.

Can Anyone provide some input that I should consider.

Thanks....  BobW...   
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »

Sure thing Bob;  PRICE!  P. S.  If you run across a standard one with a 1 11/16 inch nut width please let me know, they are very hard to find.

George
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 01:20:13 AM »

Geo...   will do....
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:57 AM »

I like mine.  Stays in tune forever compared to a wood instrument.   The Shorty is basically the same size as a Larrivee OM, except 12-fretts and about a 1/4" shallower in the body.

More clarity and less sparkle than my OM.

Best price is probably through Ted at LA Guitar sales.  Mine is a "custom" that was built based on input from the Acoustic Guitar Forum.  The older RTF finish is a lot noisier than the satin finish on a Larrivee -03 series.  That finish was discontinued and the new "satin" finish is supposed to be a lot quieter.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »

AZ...   thanks for the input....

I hope to find one with a gloss finish....

Do you play your's plugged in or  unplugged?

Thanks...  BobW...
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:40:39 PM »

I would love to have one of their standard scale Jumbo models with a 1 11/16 inch nut width and no electronics, so I could put in my own.  I believe these are wonderful guitars, and I hope to find one someday...

George
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 05:25:44 PM »

I would love to have one of their standard scale Jumbo models with a 1 11/16 inch nut width and no electronics, so I could put in my own.  I believe these are wonderful guitars, and I hope to find one someday...

Geo...

Ted at LA  Guitar sales can order you about anything you want at bottom price....  good guy to work with and is Rainsong's biggest dealer.....  Bob
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 05:41:43 PM »

Thanks Bob, but he just told me that the Rainsong was not available with the narrow nut.  Too bad...

George
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 06:40:44 PM »

I ordered my Rainsong Shorty with the RTF (non glossy) finish because it saved me several hundred $$$ at the time.  That finish is no longer available, so gloss is the only current option although they are supposed to have a new satin finish which I have not seen.

Mine was ordered without electronics and I had a K&K pure mini put in. 

The K&K sounds really good, but it does have it's limitations.  Depending on the system you are plugging into you may need either a pre-amp or DI box.  I always take a DI box with me if I'm playing out with it.

Here is a song where the Rainsong is strummed (bare fingers)
https://youtu.be/3xRLs_wTvRg

Fingerpicked:
https://youtu.be/26RumjHN76E

On both of these you are probably getting a mix of the raw instrument plus the house sound system.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 06:44:50 PM »

Thanks Bob, but he just told me that the Rainsong was not available with the narrow nut.  Too bad...

Rainsong's mold technology isn't set up to support custom nut widths.  Probably your only option would be Emerald.  I think it's a $300 upcharge for a custom nut width, but Alister might not charge that much if it's a common enough width that they have done it before.

http://www.emeraldguitars.com/acoustic/x20-os/

The X20 is OM sized.  You can run the price up crazy high depending on the options though.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 08:58:52 PM »

Mark...

Thanks for your input....   I enjoyed your playing and the sound of your Shorty.

What strings do you use...  make and gauge.....  BobW
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »

Rainsong's mold technology isn't set up to support custom nut widths.  Probably your only option would be Emerald.  I think it's a $300 upcharge for a custom nut width, but Alister might not charge that much if it's a common enough width that they have done it before.

http://www.emeraldguitars.com/acoustic/x20-os/

The X20 is OM sized.  You can run the price up crazy high depending on the options though.

Composite Acoustics advertises that their GX and GXi models are available with the narrow nut, but try to find one...  Not that there are zero out there, but very nearly... LOL

George
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 11:34:12 PM »

What strings do you use...  make and gauge.....  BobW

Currently the Shorty is strung with Elixir PB lights.  I thought the factory 80/20 were a bit harsh/bright.  I then tried EXP-16's but I thought I lost too much volume and sparkle.

Generally I have decided that Lights (12s) are best if playing with bare fingers and Mediums (13's) if playing with a flatpick.  Your mileage may of course vary.

On the Carbon Fiber forums Martin Retros are a popular choice.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 11:44:05 PM »

Currently the Shorty is strung with Elixir PB lights.  I thought the factory 80/20 were a bit harsh/bright.  I then tried EXP-16's but I thought I lost too much volume and sparkle.

Generally I have decided that Lights (12s) are best if playing with bare fingers and Mediums (13's) if playing with a flatpick.  Your mileage may of course vary.

On the Carbon Fiber forums Martin Retros are a popular choice.

Thanks Mark...  I thought yours sounded good....  BobW
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 11:47:02 PM »

I've played both the Rainsong and the CA's and for me the CA's had a better tone.Also I have a local store here in Tally town that has a couple of the smaller CA's in stock both are really nice guitars.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 12:20:56 AM »

Unclrob....   thanks, I'll check out the CA's....   BobW...   
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 03:27:52 PM »

A Rainsong 12 string that I played at NAMM in 2010 or 2011 still haunts me and will likely forever be on my lifetime wish list.  This was even what I believed to be their lower priced line with the 'patchwork' carbon fiber arrangement.  On their website right now, these are called the "Black Ice" models.  To my eye, it looks like they can use scraps from cutouts of other guitar templates and piece together blanks for these guitars.  This thing just sang in my hands.  I'm not a skilled player, but when playing this it seemed like it.  A friend has a fairly old CA dread and it's much heavier than I expected because I recall this 12 string being very light.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 08:01:38 PM »

A Rainsong 12 string that I played at NAMM in 2010 or 2011 still haunts me and will likely forever be on my lifetime wish list.  This was even what I believed to be their lower priced line with the 'patchwork' carbon fiber arrangement.  On their website right now, these are called the "Black Ice" models.  To my eye, it looks like they can use scraps from cutouts of other guitar templates and piece together blanks for these guitars. 

The "Black Ice" models are actually one of the more expensive models.  The patchwork is simply the top layer.  It's cool looking, but somewhat labor intensive to assemble.

Rainsong discontinued 12-strings a few years ago when they changed their molds.  If you want one, you need to aggressively hunt/haunt the forums, Reverb, and E-bay.  I think it took 5-6 months of looking before I found one for sale.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 08:30:13 PM »

The "Black Ice" models are actually one of the more expensive models.  The patchwork is simply the top layer.  It's cool looking, but somewhat labor intensive to assemble.

Rainsong discontinued 12-strings a few years ago when they changed their molds.  If you want one, you need to aggressively hunt/haunt the forums, Reverb, and E-bay.  I think it took 5-6 months of looking before I found one for sale.

AZ, thanks for that clarification.  Disappointed that the 12 strings might be a thing of the past.  I will just have to be lucky I guess.  I assumed the patchwork was like OSB plywood where it was the full density of the layer.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »

Early Rainsongs (including the 12-strings) didn't have truss rods.  

When Rainsong changed their molds a few years back the main reason was to use pre-preg carbon fiber rather than have to mix the epoxy themselves.  The newer design has a slightly thicker neck to accommodate a truss rod.  Since they retired the old molds, they no longer have a 12-string mold.

Rainsong isn't opposed to bringing back 12's, but the aluminum molds are very expensive.  (probably around 30K) so there is significant capitol expense that they would need to amortize.  Remember that Rainsong is a really small company.  We think of Larrivee as a small/mid-size builder, but Larrivee makes more guitars in a year than Rainsong has made in the last 10.

Because I don't have a truss rod to adjust the relief, I keep my 12 tuned down a 1/2 step to get the action where I like it.  

Currently, the only manufacturer of carbon fiber 12-strings is Emerald. (in Ireland)

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: