Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P-05 with black tuners (circa 2008)  (Read 3487 times)
mags

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »

Hi, I've just bought a P-05 second hand (2008) - they are few and far between, here in Scotland, so it's quite a find.  It's immaculate but needs a few tweaks to make it perfect.  It has the original black tuners which are immaculate, although i'm led to believe these break easily.  The problem is, the guitar is going out of tune very easily so I was thinking of replacing the tuners.  I know the standard chrome minis just drop in.  Has anyone replaced the black tuners with these and had better tuning results.  Alternatively, has anyone replaced with the JCL minis and drilled to good effect?  Is the old hole clearly visible? Any advice or suggestions re these or indeed any other tuners would be hugely appreciated. I can see a very long and happy relationship ahead with this guitar !!
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:16:15 AM »

Hello. How long have you had it and what's the relative humidity where you are? The guitar may simply be adjusting to it's new environment.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 03:17:50 AM »

Congratulations on the new guitar,  welcome

Are the strings new? Were they pre-stretched during installation? Are all the strings going out of tune?  I highly doubt the tuners are to blame.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
mags

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:09:38 AM »

Hi Guys, Thanks for getting back so quickly.  I've had the guitar 5 days now.  Strings could do with being replaced, I just haven't had the chance yet.  Relative humidity is around 42%.  Low E, A and B strings seem to need retuned every time I go back to the guitar.  I had read quite a few negative things re the original black tuners, that I pretty much assumed that was the problem.  BTW - any recommendations re strings?  Lights, mediums?  So pleased with this new guitar - Larrivees are not seen that often over here and I'm keen to get it to its best before I show it off !
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »

welcome  to the forum.... 

I would try Newtone Masterclass Mediums on her.....  great strings....  be careful installing....  they are round core strings and must be tuned to pitch before cutting the strings....  nice guitar you got for yourself... enjoy her.....  BobW... 
mags

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »

Thanks for the info Bob.  Have never tried those strings before on any of my guitars so will take up your suggestion.  PB? 80/20?
Mags
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »

P-05, my goto string would be John Pearse PB Bluegrass gauge, D'Addario would be my second choice.  If you can't find bluegrass gauge local, go PB mediums.

Ed
mags

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Ed. Much appreciated.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »

Are you tuning up to pitch? If so and you are still having problems staying in tune, after trying new strings first you may need to have your nut slots looked at. Except for any backlash in the tuning gears the string post is not going to turn unless you turn the button.

BTW I have had three Larrtivee's with the black buttons (both standard and mini) and have never had a problem with them. As a matter of fact I have never experienced a tuner that didn't keep the string in tune unless of course it was broken.

If the strings are old you may have intonation problems.  Say you put a capo at the fourth fret and have to tweak the tuning to get it right then take the capo off and put the guitar away, when you return the strings will not be in tune. That is just one scenario of the many possibilities that don't include the tuners, nut slots would be another but I would put new strings on first.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »

Thanks for the info Bob.  Have never tried those strings before on any of my guitars so will take up your suggestion.  PB? 80/20?
Mags

BP.....   not an 80/20 guy....   BobW... 
mags

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 07:32:25 PM »

Thanks Bob.
mags

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »

Thanks Roger.  New strings first seems the way to go then rather than rushing straight into new tuners.  Makes sense. Good to know your info re black tuner pegs.  I'd read things saying they went brittle and would break easily plus just put downs of lower end Larrivee tuners in general.  Much appreciated.
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »

I use Martin Bronze 80/20 medium light gauge strings on my Parlor..and they work a treat.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
mags

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 09:29:42 PM »

Thanks Carruth.  I'll add those to my list to gradually work through.  Quite a collection of Larrivees you've got !
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 12:08:20 AM »

I am somewhat confused by the "original Black tuners"...

Every Parlor I have ever seen had either mini Ping tuners as the stock tuners.  Newer ones might have Faradyne tuners.  Pings would have had a script Larrivee on the back and Faradyne have the JCL logo.

Honestly most mini size tuners suck compared to their full size counterparts.  Shaller S6 minis should be direct drop in replacements.

Can we see a picture of the back of your headstock?  The screw post angle can vary by manufacturer.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
mags

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »

Hi, Hope the photos make it clear.  I contacted Larrivee re the black tuners and they said they had been the standard tuners on the P-05 in the early 2000s (although mine seems to date to 2008).  They said they stopped putting them on due to customers having problems with them breaking and shortly after that, the manufacturer stopped making them. All help, advice much appreciated.
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 05:00:22 PM »

Hi, Hope the photos make it clear.  I contacted Larrivee re the black tuners and they said they had been the standard tuners on the P-05 in the early 2000s (although mine seems to date to 2008).  They said they stopped putting them on due to customers having problems with them breaking and shortly after that, the manufacturer stopped making them. All help, advice much appreciated.

Yep...  lots of folks had problems with the "ebonoid" knobs.  The tuners (chrome bodied) worked fine, but the knobs would lose the grip on the metal inserts and would have lots of play, or eventually, would spin freely on the shaft.

I think the confusion here is that when you call them black tuners, most people think of black bodied tuners, not just knobs.

Ed
mags

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »

Ok, I'm being thoroughly educated along the way here, which is no bad thing.  So the general concensus is to change the strings and see how that goes first.  Can the knobs just be changed or would the whole knob / tuner unit need to be changed? If it was the whole unit that needed replaced, what would peoples suggestions be?  I'm really appreciating all this info guys.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 04:25:08 AM »

Old strings don't stay in tune. A guitar acclimating to a new environment takes time to settle,  which may account for tuning problems. New strings are almost always a good thing

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 06:25:44 AM »

Those are Pings.

Finding aftermarket buttons for Ping tuners is just about impossible, though the standard chrome buttons are easy to find.

1st step would be to make sure the clutch screws are not loose and to put on new strings.

Best drop in replacement would probably be Schaller S6 minis, or possibly Gotoh 381 if they make a version of the 381 with the screw flange in the proper position.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: