Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Pick Or Not To Pick  (Read 2020 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2004, 08:19:07 PM »

Just wondering what types of  finger/thumb picks (if any) folks here use to play their steel string guitars...i haven't used picks with my classical guitar but my OM-09 steel strings are a bit stiffer so i'm trying to get used to using picks without too much luck so far...do any here use no picks?
Thanks, poki  B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 12:10:29 AM »

I don't use pick's at all.I got tired of throwing them away.I strum and play finger style.When I strum I pretend I have a pick,end up using the tuft of my finger and nail.  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 02:55:02 AM »

I can't seem to get the hang of using a pick (not to mention dropping them all the time), and thumb picks feel wierd. I have one, but the only time I used it was when the tip of my thumb was injured. I just grow out the fingernails on my right hand.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 07:33:51 AM »

Thanks folks...i think i'll also stick with plain fingers & thumb for any type of plucking method.  for strumming a finger pick seems to work out well. trying to use a thumb pick has been a total flop for me.   good thing they were cheap...
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Robb

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 02:59:06 PM »

I use Large Fender triangular pick's that I round the edge on.. they are about 1.5 inch's per side,, I dont drop them as much, I buy them and then sand the sharp corners a little rounder....I am a very heavy strummer so I use light or medium thickness pick's...Robb

Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical
hatman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 04:02:47 PM »

I use thin to extra-thin picks on my acoustics. I use the tear-drop shaped pick. I hold the pick with one of the rounder curves strumming the strings as I did not like the way it sounded using the sharp point of the pick. I am more of a strummer than a picker, but do flat-pick when needed. I also finger-pick on some tunes where appropriate. You might say I am a jack of all styles, master of none.YMMV.
Barry. ;)  
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 05:19:09 PM »

I read a good tip awhile ago, if you have trouble hanging on to picks (while playing, that is--I still haven't figured out how not to lose them). Take a hole punch and punch a hole in the pick where your thumb and finger meet when you hold it. Makes them much easier to hang onto.

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
slim

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 07:16:54 PM »

Thanks Deb, great idea about the hole punch.  My hands get sweaty when playing and the pick always rotates and then slips out of my hands.  

Recently I have been picking with my thumb.  The sound isn't as sharp as with a pick, kind of sounds like an upright bass.  I like the feel of the strings and I usually make less mistakes  <_<  
stevelawsn

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 10:30:19 PM »

I don't like picks, either. They make my fingers cramp up. Everly (I think Don Everly of the legendary Everly Brothers owns the company) makes picks with a star shaped hole in them for gripping. Musicians Friend sell them.  

Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05
KenS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 03:37:28 PM »

I'm like Rob - straight fingers, no picks.  I have used flat picks in the past - with and without fingers.  I just decided to simplify and, since I play small body guitars with light gauge strings, I can get plenty of sound without them.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: