To Pick Or Not To Pick

Started by poki, February 06, 2004, 02:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just wondering what types of  finger/thumb picks (if any) folks here use to play their steel string guitars...i haven't used picks with my classical guitar but my OM-09 steel strings are a bit stiffer so i'm trying to get used to using picks without too much luck so far...do any here use no picks?
Thanks, poki  B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

I don't use pick's at all.I got tired of throwing them away.I strum and play finger style.When I strum I pretend I have a pick,end up using the tuft of my finger and nail.  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I can't seem to get the hang of using a pick (not to mention dropping them all the time), and thumb picks feel wierd. I have one, but the only time I used it was when the tip of my thumb was injured. I just grow out the fingernails on my right hand.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Thanks folks...i think i'll also stick with plain fingers & thumb for any type of plucking method.  for strumming a finger pick seems to work out well. trying to use a thumb pick has been a total flop for me.   good thing they were cheap...
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

I use Large Fender triangular pick's that I round the edge on.. they are about 1.5 inch's per side,, I dont drop them as much, I buy them and then sand the sharp corners a little rounder....I am a very heavy strummer so I use light or medium thickness pick's...Robb
Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical

I use thin to extra-thin picks on my acoustics. I use the tear-drop shaped pick. I hold the pick with one of the rounder curves strumming the strings as I did not like the way it sounded using the sharp point of the pick. I am more of a strummer than a picker, but do flat-pick when needed. I also finger-pick on some tunes where appropriate. You might say I am a jack of all styles, master of none.YMMV.
Barry. ;)  

I read a good tip awhile ago, if you have trouble hanging on to picks (while playing, that is--I still haven't figured out how not to lose them). Take a hole punch and punch a hole in the pick where your thumb and finger meet when you hold it. Makes them much easier to hang onto.
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Thanks Deb, great idea about the hole punch.  My hands get sweaty when playing and the pick always rotates and then slips out of my hands.  

Recently I have been picking with my thumb.  The sound isn't as sharp as with a pick, kind of sounds like an upright bass.  I like the feel of the strings and I usually make less mistakes  <_<  

I don't like picks, either. They make my fingers cramp up. Everly (I think Don Everly of the legendary Everly Brothers owns the company) makes picks with a star shaped hole in them for gripping. Musicians Friend sell them.  
Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05

I'm like Rob - straight fingers, no picks.  I have used flat picks in the past - with and without fingers.  I just decided to simplify and, since I play small body guitars with light gauge strings, I can get plenty of sound without them.

Ken