Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual string life.  (Read 1058 times)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »

I use the plain old cheapy bulk Martins from StringThis.com and have for years.  I usually get about a month out of a set before they start to "thud" out.  But the last set I put on have been there since about Nov and are still going strong.  They don't even look old, much less feel old.  This has never happened to me before with these strings. 
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:36:04 PM »

Martin has new packaging simillar to D'Adario where the package is actually sealed.

I stopped buying Martin strings for a while because they were arriving half dead to begin with.  Nothing like opening a brand new set of strings to find them black and tarnished.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »

The bulk Martins do not come in packaging, but in a large plastic bag. That's what I find interesting about these strings lasting so long.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 12:51:43 AM »

It could be that your body chemistry has changed. My hands are very dry and I change my strings about once a year only because they eventually get tarnished from the moisture in the air but I never have areas tarnished from my hands. Unless,  I happen to let someone play my guitar at a jam and they perhaps have acidy skin. I wipe my strings down after playing so I usually don't experience any issues but I was at a jam once and handed my guitar to a friend and at the end of the jam I went to wipe the strings and noticed they looked black  ohmy

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:24:20 AM »

It's also possible you got some coated strings in the bag.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:27:57 PM »

It's also possible you got some coated strings in the bag.
Possibly.  But when buying bulk, the strings are zip tied together in their respective gauges and placed in a bag.  I have about a dozen sets in this bag.  If there were one set of coated mixed in, the odds of me pulling all the wound strings from that one set at the same time would be pretty rare.

It very well might be, as someone else suggests here, that my body chemistry has changed. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: