Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greatest artist still alive  (Read 10771 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2016, 03:46:06 PM »

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”
― Albert Einstein
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2016, 06:03:25 PM »

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”
― Albert Einstein

Ah, but I believe the converse is also quite true..... Just look at Charles Darwin as an example of that.  

In that case, a great mind, Darwin, encountered violent opposition from mediocre spirits...i.e. Originalists.

Sorry .... I just couldn't resist.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »

Ah, but I believe the converse is also quite true..... Just look at Charles Darwin as an example of that.   

Sorry .... I just couldn't resist.

“Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2016, 02:39:01 PM »

I think we confuse greatness with ability. There are countless artists that I enjoy and think are terrific but greatness eludes them. Not because of lack of talent or ability but because greatness must be bestowed by longevity, consensus and quite often luck whether we agree with that assessment or not. Many incredibly talented artists have died in complete or relative obscurity.

You may not agree but I personally intend to be one of them.      

Thanks for adding some levity to this thread, Tom! (Oh...you were serious...?  )

Someone mentioned earlier the many artists of the 50's and 60's. Some of them were indeed great. But the artists behind them in the studios - the Tommy Tedesco's and Mary Kaye's and Glen Campbell's - they were truly unsung greats (Glen, of course, came out of the shadows and found deserved fame).

The other day I was doing one of my weekly 3-hour commutes that I do for work these days, and Bridge Over Troubled Water  came on the station I was briefly tuned in to...

...as I listened driving across rural northern Kansas, I realized 1) what a great song it is, and 2) how rare it is to have everything come together to compose such a great, moving piece of music. It really is a gift - both the hard work of a gifted artist, but also something like a "gift" of an idea, or a melody, or an image or a lyric, that is poured into their senses so they can grab it and express it in music. Truly a beautiful thing, and it's what reaches out and touches our souls.

Some artists manage to do this a few times, some a few more, and some often - and we label them with superstar status.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »

Thanks for adding some levity to this thread, Tom! (Oh...you were serious...?   )

Someone mentioned earlier the many artists of the 50's and 60's. Some of them were indeed great. But the artists behind them in the studios - the Tommy Tedesco's and Mary Kaye's and Glen Campbell's - they were truly unsung greats (Glen, of course, came out of the shadows and found deserved fame).

The other day I was doing one of my weekly 3-hour commutes that I do for work these days, and Bridge Over Troubled Water  came on the station I was briefly tuned in to...

...as I listened driving across rural northern Kansas, I realized 1) what a great song it is, and 2) how rare it is to have everything come together to compose such a great, moving piece of music. It really is a gift - both the hard work of a gifted artist, but also something like a "gift" of an idea, or a melody, or an image or a lyric, that is poured into their senses so they can grab it and express it in music. Truly a beautiful thing, and it's what reaches out and touches our souls.

Some artists manage to do this a few times, some a few more, and some often - and we label them with superstar status.

Funny? I hoped it would be, anyway. True as well, though.  crying

Bridge is interesting in that, it is actually two songs expertly melded together. Oddly, I've had Simon's first six albums in my car deck the last week and have been digging the heck out of them again. What a special artist he is! The album 'One Trick Pony', not one of his best received efforts, has especially captured my attention. It's perhaps his only outright rock and roll effort and it is pretty darn good despite being mostly panned by critics and being a commercial flop. Late in the Evening, One Trick Pony, Cars are Cars, Ace in the Hole. So many great songs and the electric guitar playing by Eric Gale is superb.

I see he has a new effort to be released shortly and it sounds like it's supposed to be quite different than his normal output. Hasn't he learned anything?   
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »

Thanks for adding some levity to this thread, Tom! (Oh...you were serious...?  )

I'm sure you meant "Carol" Kaye.   
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »

Nah, he was just making that up to see if we were paying attention 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2016, 03:40:25 PM »

Nah, he was just making that up to see if we were paying attention 

Thanks, tuffy - I knew that didn't sound quite right, since Mary Kay(e) was the guitar player (and the Fender Strat model)...  blush

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2016, 05:46:25 PM »

Mary Kaye? Doesn't she sell cosmetics? Thus ... making it up. 
Dr.Lee

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2016, 04:38:21 PM »

Not a single mention of Bob Dylan ??
What do you make of that ?
Perhaps the greatest songwriter of the last half century.
Everyone has covered his music.

Dr.

2006 Larrivee 00-60
2014 Recording King RD-310
2016 Corboba C7 Cedar/Rosewood

"Character is what you are in the dark"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2016, 05:18:02 PM »

Not a single mention of Bob Dylan ??
What do you make of that ?
Perhaps the greatest songwriter of the last half century.
Everyone has covered his music.

Dr.

May I point you to the fourth post on page one. 
Dr.Lee

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2016, 07:23:04 PM »

May I point you to the fourth post on page one. 

Sorry. Age is catching up to me !

Dr.

2006 Larrivee 00-60
2014 Recording King RD-310
2016 Corboba C7 Cedar/Rosewood

"Character is what you are in the dark"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »

Sorry. Age is catching up to me !

Dr.

To us all. But, hey, you had the right artist!   
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2016, 03:13:50 AM »

I won't pretend to know who the greatest artist is. And I hope you don't consider this a thread jack.
But looking at the greatest year, consider 1971, when there were so many great artists who were so productive.
The Allman Bros.-Fillmore East•Aretha Franklin-Live at the Fillmore•The Band-Cahoots•Beach Boys - Surf's Up•Carol King-Tapestry•Cat Stevens- Tea for the Tillerman•C, S, N & Y-4 Way Street•David Bowie-Hunky Dory•David Crosby-If I Could Only Remember My Name•Doors-LA Woman•Elton John-Madman Across the Water•Genesis-Nursery Crime•Harry Nilson-Nilson Schmilsson•Issac Hayes Theme from Shaft•James Brown-revolution of the mind•James Gang-Thirds•James Taylor- Mudslide Slim and the Blue Horizon•Jefferson Airplane-Bark•John Hartford-Aero Plain•John Lennon-Imagine•King Crimson-Islands•Laura Nyro-Gonna Take a Miracle•Little Feat-eponymous •Mahavishnu Orchestra.-Inner Mounting Flame•Marvin Gaye- What's Goin On•Miles Davis-Live/Evil•Pink Floyd-Meddle•Rolling Stones-Sticky Fingers•Santana-III•Sly & the Family Stone-There's a Riot Goin On

some others . . .

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention - Filmore East

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Yes - Fragile

Led Zepplin - IV

. . . 'twas a busy year indeed
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2016, 03:19:30 AM »

But the fact is that there are great artists being born every minute and the privilege we have living in these times is that we have the joy of discovery through the internet, instead of being given a limited menu through the major record companies and who they decide will be popular.
+1

Sadly, there are no giants in the wings to take their place.

You seriously think that?

Kenneth Pattengale, Yamandu Costa, Aoife O'Donovan, John Butler, Ben Harper, Chris Thile, outside of the "guitar" world - Troy Andrews, Adele - all musicians who radiate their roots and write wonderful new music - and those are just the people I can think of without using the internetz thingy . . .  then there are all the film score composers . . . sorry - what was this thread about - musicians born in the 50's or before?
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »

Not that there aren't a lot of plow men plowing that earth and doing a fine job of it but I usually feel that it's all previously discovered territory, been done before and ... better. I often apologize to young people about having used up all the good ideas and leaving them with ... well, I won't say. Hate being controversial.    
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2016, 03:02:11 PM »

Not that there aren't a lot of plow men plowing that earth and doing a fine job of it but I usually feel that it's all previously discovered territory, been done before and ... better. I often apologize to young people about having used up all the good ideas and leaving them with ... well, I won't say. Hate being controversial.    

I get where you're coming from, Tom, and I don't listen to a lot of new music, but every once in a while I hear something / someone new who is fresh and has some creativity that puts some twists on this modern western music thing...

...your comment reminds me of the fellow who worked in the US patent office in the late 1800's who said they might as well close up shop because everything had been invented that was going to be invented...  whistling

There have been - and will continue to be - new artists who bring some fresh energy and creativity to modern western music. Although at times one does wonder if we've used up and exhausted all the melodies, harmonies, and rhythms available (is western music that limited?). Then I hear someone bring a fresh energy and I have to say "Nope."

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2016, 03:28:02 PM »

I get where you're coming from, Tom, and I don't listen to a lot of new music, but every once in a while I hear something / someone new who is fresh and has some creativity that puts some twists on this modern western music thing...

...your comment reminds me of the fellow who worked in the US patent office in the late 1800's who said they might as well close up shop because everything had been invented that was going to be invented...  whistling

There have been - and will continue to be - new artists who bring some fresh energy and creativity to modern western music. Although at times one does wonder if we've used up and exhausted all the melodies, harmonies, and rhythms available (is western music that limited?). Then I hear someone bring a fresh energy and I have to say "Nope."

Well, I don't think music and other invented things  are that similar and I'm certainly not advocating that people stop creating music. I know what you're saying and I still hear a lot of very good new music but, no matter how well done, it all seems to be in a genre or style of instrumentation and production that I'm familiar with. Even supposedly "out there" bands like Radiohead are not doing anything all that new. Besides Thom Yorke is the worst singer since Eddy Veddor. ;)

Anyway I quoted the line from All Along the Watchtower,  "Business men they drink my wine and plow men dig my earth" because I think it nicely sums up how I feel and what I think about it. 
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2016, 09:44:49 PM »

I don't know if this got mentioned earlier in the thread, but I had forgotten how great this band of combined past and present rock greats sounds:

Black Country Communion

Members: 
Glenn Hughes on Vocals and Bass - geez this guy still belts it out and nails those rock high notes in unbelievable power
Jason Bonham on drums - sounds like his daddy in some good ways
Joe Bonamassa on guitar - if you need an introduction to him, well you have some enjoyable homework to do
Derek Sherinian - keys (I don't know his past)

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2016, 12:20:00 AM »

+1

You seriously think that?

Kenneth Pattengale, Yamandu Costa, Aoife O'Donovan, John Butler, Ben Harper, Chris Thile, outside of the "guitar" world - Troy Andrews, Adele - all musicians who radiate their roots and write wonderful new music - and those are just the people I can think of without using the internetz thingy . . .  then there are all the film score composers . . . sorry - what was this thread about - musicians born in the 50's or before?

Yeah, I especially think that after reading your post.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: