Greatest artist still alive

Started by Walkerman, April 08, 2016, 06:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul, Eric, Willie, Van, Townsend ......  There are still some great ones, but they are really old.  Sadly, there are no giants in the wings to take their place.

I'd add Leonard Cohen to the list.  He isn't all over the radio but he's been one of the most prolific songwriters and artists of our generation.  And one of my favorites.

Depends on one's definition of greatness, and maybe what genre, I suppose.  Springsteen, Fogerty, Leon Russell, Beck, Ella Fitzgerald, Elton John, David Gilmour, Page, Stevie Wonder, Buddy Guy??  Lots of great ones left and I've only scratched the surface.  As far as giants waiting in the wings, I can't think of any at the moment but there must be a few out there no?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Well, what better than to use my 10K post to say, "How can you forget the master?" Bob Dylan is alive and well, approaching his 75th birthday, and still making great music.   :cheers 

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 09, 2016, 07:08:51 AM
Well, what better than to use my 10K post to say, "How can you forget the master?" Bob Dylan is alive and well, approaching his 75th birthday, and still making great music.   :cheers  

I was wondering when we would hear from you.  Of course, I am partial to the "so-cal" sound of the 60's, and I am living in close proximity to Crosby, Hillman and Browne.  Of course, they live on top of the hill, and I live down in the flatland.  In fact, I have run into Hillman when we pickup guitars from our tech.  John Jorgenson has played one of my Larrivees .... Gave it a big thumbs up.

What about James Taylor???   and Roy Clark ????

Quote from: Walkerman on April 09, 2016, 07:25:10 AM
I was wondering when we would hear from you.  Of course, I am partial to the "so-cal" sound of the 60's, and I am living in close proximity to Crosby, Hillman and Browne.  Of course, they live on top of the hill, and I live down in the flatland.  In fact, I have run into Hillman when we pickup guitars from our tech.  John Jorgenson has played one of my Larrivees .... Gave it a big thumbs up.
Jackson Browne for sure.  Neil Young and  Robbie Robertson as well.

I think this thread is a better indication of our collective, average age  :winkin:

Quote from: Strings4Him on April 09, 2016, 09:54:45 AM
I think this thread is a better indication of our collective, average age  :winkin:

Probably, but we old guys not only loved it, we lived it too...  :wink:
George

Quote from: dependan on April 09, 2016, 08:29:30 AM
     Jackson Browne for sure.  Neil Young and  Robbie Robertson as well.
Yes .... Neil lives north of here by Santa Cruz.

ME!!!!!!!!!!!I thought I'd be daed by 30 and look I'm 60 and still a GREAT.....NO....THE GREATEST OF ALLL TIME................BRAHAHAHAHAGAGAFGDJFKYBNIJI....opps. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on April 09, 2016, 09:43:39 PM
ME!!!!!!!!!!!I thought I'd be daed by 30 and look I'm 60 and still a GREAT.....NO....THE GREATEST OF ALLL TIME................BRAHAHAHAHAGAGAFGDJFKYBNIJI....opps. :wave

:bgrin:      :arrow      :bgrin:      :wacko:      :bgrin:     Love you Unclrob...    :thumbsup     you are the best....

Quote from: unclrob on April 09, 2016, 09:43:39 PM

You da man..... :ph34r:
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Quote from: Strings4Him on April 09, 2016, 09:54:45 AM

Sure but "the greatest artist still alive" might just rule out Adele, Taylor and Miley. Or, at least, should for the time being.  :beer

If you are going there we need to include Stevie Nicks for sure...  Personally, I think the other three will make the list too...
George

I would add Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn, John Prine, Leo Kottke and Arlo Guthrie to that list of artists who I saw in my youth and who are still performing and who have ollectively left us with a great body of work.