string guage and volume

Started by webberink, April 05, 2016, 12:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H Broken,
The saddle material is bone, as is the nut and the bridge pins.  I changed then over from the Tusq that came wit the guitar.  I also pulled the under saddle PU a year ago when I retired and didn't need to plug in any more.  All these mods did make a noticeable difference but not enough in my opinion.  My OM-09 from the same time period which also has had its saddle, nut and pins changed over to bone has more volume and resonance, though admittedly not the complex overtones.  The D-09 has a lot going for it, but it pics at me when I jam with someone who has a $300 Plywood guitar and he walks all over me.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Quote from: webberink on May 31, 2016, 12:41:26 PM
H Broken,
The saddle material is bone, as is the nut and the bridge pins.  I changed then over from the Tusq that came wit the guitar.  I also pulled the under saddle PU a year ago when I retired and didn't need to plug in any more.  All these mods did make a noticeable difference but not enough in my opinion.  My OM-09 from the same time period which also has had its saddle, nut and pins changed over to bone has more volume and resonance, though admittedly not the complex overtones.  The D-09 has a lot going for it, but it pics at me when I jam with someone who has a $300 Plywood guitar and he walks all over me.
Dave
This may not be the case, but under saddle pickups can require an angled bottom on the saddle. I believe it may be L.R.Baqgs. But maybe some other maker. Its been a while since I made one. If yours is angled on the bottom you may need a new saddle made that is flat on the bottom and makes better contact with the bridge.
   It may be worth pulling the saddle and checking it out.

Hi dependan,
Thanks for the suggestion.  The present bone saddle in my D-09 was made in conjunction with pulling the under saddle PU and is square on the bottom.  And the bridge slot is nice and square and clean too.  I think my issues with the volume and resonance have to do with the weight of the guitar ... which relates to the thickness of the woods, particularly the EIR.  I am going to check out the braces closely.  There just may be a possibility of a slightly loose brace which apparently is a real common tone/volume killer, but I doubt it is the case as this guitar has been like it is since new some 18 years ago.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

The Tusq saddle that came in my L03 has "pads" under each string location on the bottom of the saddle, I suppose to concentrate the down pressure onto the piezo element.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Ordinarily the pads would be used to either raise the saddle to the proper height to prevent string buzz, or more commonly, to balance the output of the strings which can be a problem with some UST elements.  What are the pads made of?
George

Quote from: rockstar_not on June 01, 2016, 06:25:17 PM
The Tusq saddle that came in my L03 has "pads" under each string location on the bottom of the saddle, I suppose to concentrate the down pressure onto the piezo element.

Very interesting - like voicing a piano - sideways - sort of - minus 88 felt hammers dedicated to single pitches . . .

I know the hex pickups on Godins have individual saddle/piezo saddles, as do some Schaeller systems, but I thought that was aimed at pitch/voltage conversion for controlling synth systems, and there are six discreet saddles. Is it a valid technique for acoustic guitar pickups with a single saddle?

Quote from: georbro3 on June 01, 2016, 06:48:50 PM
Ordinarily the pads would be used to either raise the saddle to the proper height to prevent string buzz, or more commonly, to balance the output of the strings which can be a problem with some UST elements.  What are the pads made of?

They are just part of the TUSQ saddle.

Looking at the saddle removed from the bridge looks a bit like this:

I'll try to take photos next time I do an overhaul. 

Actually no need - Graphtec still makes them:
http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq/product-detail/pq-9600-c0-tusq-microbalance-acoustic-saddle-12-radius?id=607cbdde-5a57-44d5-ad10-afff6faaf5d7
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Yes that is a Graph Tech Tusq Microbalance saddle, I have a couple of them for sale on my Reverb site.   I misunderstood what your were describing.  sorry...
George

I've never seen that one. What's the idea?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Nevermind, looks like gimmick.
Pain is a good thing

Supposedly, the slots on the bottom are supposed to eliminate dead spots where the bottom of the saddle contacts the bottom of the bridge slot.  String balance is supposed to be improved.  I found that it does not work exactly as advertised, so I prefer a solid bottom bone saddle...
George

Quote from: georbro3 on June 02, 2016, 10:05:49 AM
Supposedly, the slots on the bottom are supposed to eliminate dead spots

Looks like it comes with dead spots
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on June 02, 2016, 05:57:02 PM
Looks like it comes with dead spots

Not sure about that. Pressure is force per unit area. The downward force remains the same while area is reduced and concentrated under each string. If a particular string is too hot, joe supposedly just sands the corresponding pad until achieving better balance with other strings. That's the claim and it does have some merit in the way that there are adjustable pole pieces in most magnetic pickups.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I found that adjustment is extremely difficult.  Minute changes less than 1/1000th of an inch can create large variances.  Probably varies from guitar to guitar as well.
George

I never bothered adjusting mine.  It's what LarrivĂ©e chose to put on the guitar from the factory.

My fishman died about 2 years after buying the guitar.  Neither Larrivee nor Fishman would do warranty replacement.  I should probably replace the saddle after removing the fishman pickup element.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud