Art & Lutherie again!

Started by headsup, March 29, 2016, 01:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just back from our VIA rail East coast trip, where I took my trusty old OM-60, and never regretted it.
While in Halifax , we also played a great venue to some good friends and old band mates from a long time ago.
While in Lunenburg, i found a very nice, used Art & Lutherie guitar with solid spruce top, and cherry back and sides.
Sounded great!, didn't even bother to try the "quantum" pick up until i got back home-and it is awesome as well.

What's quite remarkable about this guitar, in this day and age, is, the sticker inside which says "made in Canada with 95% sustainabale Canadian woods"
As a player of only Canadian made guitars (all but one-for sale) I realize this claim could be made by any US or other country builder.
Upon close inspection, i realized, just the fingerboard and bridge (EIR) would be the other 5%.
As our finer tone woods are dwindling, restricted, and take so long to grow, the "sustainable" aspect of this guitar was a pretty cool idea.

No, it doesn't sound as good as any of my larrivee's, that's not the point, as it was a mere couple hundred bucks including a very nice TRIC case, it's a darn nice addition to my collection, and when I do outside shows (like one very chilly one earlier this month, or song writer series where i need to lend a guitar to some-one, or camping, etc, this guitar is more than adequate.
A well made guitar from solid tonewoods, with pick up and good case?

I rest my case  :cheers :cheers :guitar
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

These are really wonderful guitars and proudley made in Canada.Yes other companies need to start doing this.Congrats on the new guitar.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Anything that comes out of that Godin factory is OK with me too.  I've owned a couple of Seagulls, a La Patrie and I've played dozens more.  Like you said, they don't sound as good as Larrivee but if you're looking for a decent sounding, easy playing, solidly made guitar, look no further than the Godin brands.  I use my Seagull mini jumbo for gigs and recording and I take it to the cottage with me.  I got mine with a Tric case to boot!  Sweet guiatr for little $

Quote from: Denis on April 04, 2016, 08:38:02 AM
Anything that comes out of that Godin factory is OK with me too.  I've owned a couple of Seagulls, a La Patrie and I've played dozens more.  Like you said, they don't sound as good as Larrivee but if you're looking for a decent sounding, easy playing, solidly made guitar, look no further than the Godin brands.  I use my Seagull mini jumbo for gigs and recording and I take it to the cottage with me.  I got mine with a Tric case to boot!  Sweet guiatr for little $
:+1:
I have a special love for the Normans since I had one of the very first ones, and a few since then.  I have set up quite a few Godin guitars and they always impress me.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I have an old Simon & Patrick Dreadnaught.
bought it sight unseen on ebay with just the picture of the headstock, which was a Martin headstock (grovers and the Simon & Patrick loge was in the Martin font.
It was stupid cheap, in a very good hardshell case.

Upon closer inspection, I soon discovered it not only had a lovely solid spruce top, but also solid EIR back and sides.
When I got the strings off for and internal inspection I was also surprised to see very well done scollaped bracing.
The guitar plays and sounds astounding.

Clearly a law suit D-28. It has an old sticker with a 3 digit serial number and the local rep says he remembers the short run of these guitars.
And also verified the specs woods etc.
Good and great deals can be had on instruments, if you're smart and quick.....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: Denis on April 04, 2016, 08:38:02 AM

I played an all solid Seagull OM the other day after playing a few Collings and Martins . . . had to go back and forth a few times to make sure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing. It wasn't exactly "equal", but it was ridiculously close even without considering it was $650 where the others were $3K and up.

If you can play some of the solid wood Godin guitars in the same room as some of the more famous names it will definitely be worth your time.

I was in my local shop yesterday and pulled down an Art & Lutherie off the wall.  I am always impressed with the simplicity and workhorse nature of these guitars.  I have never owned one but every time I play one I want to take it home.  They are just plain old good guitars for folk songs and simple stuff. 

Quote from: skyline on April 30, 2016, 05:46:44 PM

If you can play some of the solid wood Godin guitars in the same room as some of the more famous names it will definitely be worth your time.

Those concert hall models look interesting indeed. Picked up a Simon & Patrick Folk cutaway with pickup and case as a campfire rig a couple weeks ago. $200 well spent.