Oldest capo?

Started by Mr_LV19E, March 23, 2016, 10:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remember when these where the best capo, well I thought they were good.

Dunlop Capo

Anybody else have pics of some of the older style capo's?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Ewww,  I remember when folks had those barely.

My first capo was a Dunlop trigger capo (1995 or so).   Later I got a Kyser.  Now I use a Kyser 12-string for everything except my Rainsong 12 which needs more clamping force.

I still have one of those capos in the picture (I originally mistakenly called it a trigger capo)...  and one of the elastic band ones.  Now it's Shubb.  Every time I get a guitar, I get another Shubb to throw in the case.

Ed

I had several of them and, especially the adjustable ones, they were a vast improvement on what else was available unless you broke the bank and bought a Shubb.  :laughin:

Trigger capos damage guitar head stocks and turned my Yamaha into a YA AHA.   :yak:

These days, I have a Shubb, a G7 among various others but I prefer the Planet Waves NS capo for being light, effective and easy to use.   :thumb

I have a traditional style Shubb.  It's actually the only kind of capo I've ever used.  Supposedly Shubb has a different style out too.  But I'm sticking to what I have.  It works fine, and why mess with what works?  (Or maybe that the old "we fear change" thing in me!  :ohmy: :laughin:)
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Back when I use to use a capo I had the one pictured also had one of those large rubber one with the braided wrap that needed to be pull so you could attach the eyelid to the post,I have used Shubb and Kyser but I no longer use any capo's and I have no idea were in my home the last one live's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Anybody have one of these?

Hamilton Capo
Roger

yep
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 25, 2016, 05:31:33 PM
Anybody have one of these?

Yes.  The felt wore off long ago.

I bet (in addition to the Shubbs), I have dozen or more other capos around.  And that doesn't include the 3 or 4 guitars out on long term loan!

Ed

Yeah, another guitar killer if you're not careful with it. Like eded, if I looked in enough drawers and boxes, I'd find a lot of capos that I've used over the years.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 24, 2016, 07:18:45 AM

...but I prefer the Planet Waves NS capo for being light, effective and easy to use.   :thumb

:+1: on the Planet Waves NS capo. Inexpensive and easy to use, doesn't throw the guitar out of tune with too much clamping pressure. People like sticking the Kyser on the headstock. but I just tighten the NS over the top of the strings at the nut when not in use, then it's right there when I need it.  :thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 26, 2016, 07:57:46 PM
:+1: on the Planet Waves NS capo. Inexpensive and easy to use, doesn't throw the guitar out of tune with too much clamping pressure. People like sticking the Kyser on the headstock. but I just tighten the NS over the top of the strings at the nut when not in use, then it's right there when I need it.  :thumbsup

:+1:    This boats getting crowded...     :bgrin:

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 26, 2016, 07:57:46 PM

I've never had a problem with Shubbs and tuning.  And I only wear shirts with pockets.  That way I don't need to clamp anything on the headstock or on the nut.

I think the take away here is, there are any number of capos out there (including the slightly "improved" versions of existing designs).  Most are about the cost of 2-3 string changes.  Try a couple or few.  Keep the ones you don't like for song circles...  Lend them to the person who forgot theirs...  and then forget to pack it up when you leave.  Lol!  I'm willing to bet the people with a preference have been through several. 

Ed

I have a Kyser and it is very easy to place and I usually do not have to adjust it. It just plants itself and your good to go.

I recently purchase a Planet Waves NS Artist Capo with NS Micro Tuner. It is a little more "picky" as to the placement to avoid buzzing or even catching the 1st or 6th string. Once I got the tension adjusted it improved a lot. I really like the tension adjustment vs. the Kyser even though the tension on the Kyser is pretty much perfect.

The tuner clinches it or me. It is so cool, that once you clamp the capo down, you can immediately check the tuning.

So far, my L-03 has been in perfect tune when using the capo.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Well my favorite is the NS but I also like the Page.
The thread title is kind of a joke, I was hoping to see some pictures of what others have used in the olden days.
Roger

Sorry I cannot contribute to the "classic capo" subject. I just started using them!   :laughin:  :beer :guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Now it's multiple Shubbs (sometimes a Spyder), but I used those Dunlop ones a lot last century, along with this beast:

Quote from: skyline on March 29, 2016, 01:47:02 PM
Now it's multiple Shubbs (sometimes a Spyder), but I used those Dunlop ones a lot last century, along with this beast:

Never seen one of those.
Roger

Quote from: skyline on March 29, 2016, 01:47:02 PM

There's one of the Asian mail-order companies I get online catalogs from that has these for about $3. 

At that price, I almost feel bad *not* getting one.  Lol!

Ed