I think I need to slow down.

Started by markj, March 22, 2016, 09:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I need to give my fingers and my left arm, a rest. I have been playing so much that my finger joints, elbow and shoulder are sore/numb. Not too bad but I feel there may be some damage being done here. I have a on and off again numbness in the finger tips which will radiate down the length of the fingers right up into the elbow and shoulder.  My whole arm seems like it is semi "asleep" and will go "to sleep" much easier when lying on it etc.

I need to do more stretching/yoga and general conditioning. I believe/fear I am fighting arthritis in at least my index finger. It was starting to lock up on me and was very painful. I started to take deer antler velvet extract two weeks ago on the advice of a friend who experienced this same thing only worse. He actually ended up in the hospital because he couldn't stop playing his guitar!

The pain is all but gone and I haven't had any "locking" issues for the past week.

The on and off numbness and general soreness continues.

I am quickly learning to play the blues.  :guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Really sorry to hear about this.....  

How old are you and how long do you play at a time and in a day's time.....

Are you primarily a fingerstyle player?

I, too, have arthritis but it's worse in my right hand....   it aches constantly ...  but it's going to have to get a lot worse before I stop playing.....   :guitar    :guitar     :guitar

Hope you can find a remedy ....  share it if something helps....   :thumbsup

Thanks Bob.

I'm 54.

I'm doing OK with everything. I  did a 20 minute,  and 30 minute session today. I am trying to find the relaxation while playing that is so important. Most of these issues are a combination of age and self-affliction due to being tensed up and doing a "death grip" to get a barred section to ring properly. Bad technique (self taught of course) coupled with obsessive amounts of practice are starting to take their toll. I need to fix this because I do not want to stop playing my L-03.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on March 22, 2016, 12:48:12 PM
Thanks Bob.

I'm 54.

I'm doing OK with everything. I  did a 20 minute,  and 30 minute session today. I am trying to find the relaxation while playing that is so important. Most of these issues are a combination of age and self-affliction due to being tensed up and doing a "death grip" to get a barred section to ring properly. Bad technique (self taught of course) coupled with obsessive amounts of practice are starting to take their toll. I need to fix this because I do not want to stop playing my L-03.

Mark...   Good to hear you are "loosening" up your grip....  I am working on that myself and truly feel that doing so allows the guitar to sound better as you move from note to note....  the music becomes more fluid....

I did not take up guitar until I was 62- 7 years ago -  and have never been able to do barre guitars....  just not enough strength and too much arthritis.... it has not stopped me from enjoying my guitars....

BobW...   :wacko:  but happy...   :guitar

Hoy wax for 10 minutes only about 20 minutes before you sit down and play.The heat will relax and sooth the finger joints.I've been using the hot wax for years now and it does wonders.Me I'm 60.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on March 22, 2016, 01:45:50 PM
Hoy wax for 10 minutes only about 20 minutes before you sit down and play.The heat will relax and sooth the finger joints.I've been using the hot wax for years now and it does wonders.Me I'm 60.

Rob....  what kind of wax and what do you heat it in...  how do you control the temperature... thks... Bobw

Have your guitar set up as low (action) as possible. Relax, therapy, shorten play time. Seems you know this...maybe adjust technique
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Bob its bee's wax and I got mine at walmart.You dip your hand in the wax,then put on a glove type thing until the wax cools.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on March 22, 2016, 06:15:37 PM
Bob its bee's wax and I got mine at walmart.You dip your hand in the wax,then put on a glove type thing until the wax cools.

Thanks UnclRob....   may have to resort to this sometime in the future....   my old body's got a lot of aches and pains any more....  I think I could use a hot wax tub!!!!     :wacko:

Quote from: bobw on March 22, 2016, 07:19:12 PM
Thanks UnclRob....   may have to resort to this sometime in the future....   my old body's got a lot of aches and pains any more....  I think I could use a hot wax tub!!!!     :wacko:

Me too       BUt like sand wax can get into all the wrong place's :whistling:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I to am having the same issues as i am learning, arthritis, being exasperated by the death grip (yea, I am working on it). It is also encouraging to know that i am not the only one starting to learn later in life (52 for me). There may still be hope. I also will try the wax thing.
Anthony J. Dern

heres a tip for beating the death grip.In the open position play an E chord but just press hard enough to get a clean chord,you don't have to push down hard.Now start strumming lightly then start to dig in with your strumming hand but pay attention to the chording hand so you don't press down harder.Try playing the alphabet again making sure you just pressing down enough so all the chords sound clean.This works for finger pickers as many will pick harder to hear the note's.I hope this helps as my typing skills s*ck.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on March 23, 2016, 10:50:51 AM
...a tip for beating the death grip....

Unclrob,

Any tips for beating the death grip are welcome. It makes my finger tips hurt and the rest of my hand ache. Cuts practice time short. And it makes the practice time i get much less effective.

Thanks.  :cheers :donut :donut2
Anthony J. Dern

I know some people tend to grip the neck more like a club with the thumb wrapped high over the top of the fretboard.  That's fine if you are fretting with the thumb,like the D/F# chord.  But if you keep your thumb lower, when possible, (and not everyone can do this easily due to hand size), it drops your palm away from the neck a bit and straightens out the angle of your wrist.  The important part is keeping your hand from clenching up under the neck. 

Also, I use Blue Emu cream on my hands and arms when they get tired, sore, or cramped....and in my line of work as a gardener, that's frequently.  It's not a magical cure-all, but it does provide good relief without the medicine cabinet smell!
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

:donut2 :coffee :donut :coffee
Good advice here, like Rob says pay attention, you can think faster than you can play.
I have a couple 10 pound weights for arm and wrist curls, which I do almost every day.
It helps with strength and blood flow through the arms and hands.
Not a weight lifter, just trying to be stronger than the guitar.
Mike
L-05
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Exercise? Now you are really asking too much.  :cheers
Anthony J. Dern

Quote from: adern on March 24, 2016, 05:08:38 PM
Exercise? Now you are really asking too much.
You are the one having problems, not me.
Best of luck, brother.
Mike
L-05

Quote from: adern on March 24, 2016, 05:08:38 PM
Exercise? Now you are really asking too much.  :cheers

I know you are being facetious...  Exercise of both the mind and body are the key to long life, and will help with relieving many ills.  Add music to that and you have the key to your soul...
George

Sorry Mike, that was indeed meant as humor. The tips are truly appreciated.
Anthony J. Dern

Quote from: adern on March 25, 2016, 05:00:45 AM
Sorry Mike, that was indeed meant as humor. The tips are truly appreciated.
:donut2 :donut :coffee
No biggie. I offered what I do, for the benefit of people in pain.
Mike
L-05