LR Baggs Athem

Started by morrow22, March 12, 2016, 01:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I local guitar shop that has lots of knowledge, and I am looking to put a pick-up in my Larrivee OM-60.  They said the one they recommend that gives the truest acoustic sound is the LR Baggs Athem.  This is a pretty pricey pick-up at $300 then you have installation.  I just wanted input from people with better experience than I ----- is it worth it?  I don't want to "save a few bucks" and not have my guitar project the beautiful tone that it has.  Just want to make sure I am not missing a less expensive option, that has the same quality

Thanks

2 of my gigging guitars have the Anthem SL installed in them and yes its as close as you can get to the acoustic sound of your guitar about 85%.I have installed acording to my records 25 of them in my clients guitars and all are happy camper's.To get a better deal on them check out amazon for a discounted price.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I cannot comment on the Anthem, and sure wouldn't discount what unclrob said. I do the sound for the praise band at our church, so I have listed to a lot of different pickup systems. When I recently bought my guitar, I asked the dealer for his recommendation and as an answer he brought out his guitar. It had a K&K Pure Mini in it, and I was sold when I listened to it.

Like I said, I am not putting down the Anthem. The Pure is about half the money, if that is a concern.
Anthony J. Dern

Hey unclrob you mention the Athem SL which is about $100 less than the full Athem.  So are you suggesting that the SL will do everything needed?  Or is the full Athem worth the additional cost?
Thanks

Yes it did everything that was needed.I tried the Athem and returned it after comparing the two as it just wasn't worth the extra dime in my opinion.I also tried the Lyric and didn't care for it,you can check out my adventure with it in my Lyric review.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

My SD-50 had LR Baggs electronics and it worked well.
I have to agree with adern though that for a 1/3rd of the price of the Anthem and half the price of an Anthem SL, the K&K Pure mini can't be beaten.
Those will sound the closest to your guitar's natural tone.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

My LSV-11 came with the LR Baggs iMix system installed....which is the ibeam and element pickups blended together.  I really like it so far.  The best sounding pickup I've heard at this point.  I just wish I could wire it to a Mi-Si capacitor to get rid of the internal battery pack.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: morrow22 on March 12, 2016, 01:13:39 PM
I local guitar shop that has lots of knowledge, and I am looking to put a pick-up in my Larrivee OM-60.  They said the one they recommend that gives the truest acoustic sound is the LR Baggs Athem.  This is a pretty pricey pick-up at $300 then you have installation.  I just wanted input from people with better experience than I ----- is it worth it?  I don't want to "save a few bucks" and not have my guitar project the beautiful tone that it has.  Just want to make sure I am not missing a less expensive option, that has the same quality

Thanks

I've just purchased an OM-40 Walnut and am saving up for the Anthem. Thought about the SL but watching these two reviews from a guy near me locally who started with the SL and upgraded to the Anthem. Based up where you play and how you use it, this review swayed me to save for the Anthem. Also, as there are obviously a ton of great P/U's out there, I like the fact that Larrivee endorses Baggs by using Baggs exclusively. There's got to be a reason why...

Here's the SL Review
Here's the Anthem Review
Larrivee LV-03R (Sold)
Larrivee DV-05 (Sold)
Larrivee C-09 Custom
Larrivee OM-40 Walnut Limited
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Fender 72 Thinline Telecaster Reissue (Curtis Novak Pick

Maybe I've missed something but I've installed the LR Braggs Anthem SL in my OM-03-MT and will shortly be putting one into my Martin D15M. street Price is Under $200. Got both on sale @ less 15%.  A Local shop chged $40 to install Love the clean tone I get.
Larrivee OM-03MT
Eastman AC322ce
Eastman AC222ce
Eastman PCH3-CO
Art & Luthirie legacy 12 bourbon burst cw qit
Guild D140ce SB
Orangewood Sage Mahogany AE

Ditto on the Anthem SL, got one put in this L-03FM. Simple controls with easy to tweak blend pin (which is done with a small screwdriver-type stick that comes with it). Back off the mic for driving chords or a loud performance (bluegrass, rock band, etc.), or tweak more mic in for sweet fingerstyle, solo performing, or woody-sounding rhythms, or just find a super sweet-spot somewhere in between. :+1: