Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP George Martin  (Read 1541 times)
skyline

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:24:53 PM »

. . . and then there were two . . .

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beatles-producer-george-martin-dead-at-90-20160309
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:07:59 AM »

What an amazing composer and producer

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:56:10 AM »

In my opinion, George Martin had as much to do with the Beatles' success as Brian Epstein and the Beatles themselves.  It was a fortunate coming together of those six people that changed the music world forever.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 04:14:21 AM »

In my opinion, George Martin had as much to do with the Beatles' success as Brian Epstein and the Beatles themselves.  It was a fortunate coming together of those six people that changed the music world forever.

Well, in the beginning.  As time went on (and we are speaking of 6-7 years) the Beatles did more and more of their own work.  OTOH, Paul and Ringo called on Martin to help with "Love."
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 05:20:20 AM »

Well, in the beginning.  As time went on (and we are speaking of 6-7 years) the Beatles did more and more of their own work.  OTOH, Paul and Ringo called on Martin to help with "Love."

Yes, as a team they made great music that had an enormous effect.  That was my point.  Martin was an integral part of that team and it's success; from the start of their recording career to when they broke up (more or less).  Of course the band members themselves incorporated more of their own ideas into the production of the later recordings, but Martin's expertise was what made it sound good on record.

skyline

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 03:14:45 AM »

Well, in the beginning.  As time went on (and we are speaking of 6-7 years) the Beatles did more and more of their own work.  OTOH, Paul and Ringo called on Martin to help with "Love."

During the entire 9 years of their recording career, they called on more and more people and more and more engineers, eventually dumping Martin.

It's ironic that they honed their musicianship as a live band, were brought to fame by a studio technician, who brought them to a level of success where they were denied the opportunity to play live by the screaming of their "fans".

As for The Beatles doing more and more of their own work - I don't think any of them ever spliced a piece of tape, set levels for a 4 track to stereo bounce, auditioned session musicians, trained new engineers . . .
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 04:59:55 AM »

During the entire 9 years of their recording career, they called on more and more people and more and more engineers, eventually dumping Martin.

It's ironic that they honed their musicianship as a live band, were brought to fame by a studio technician, who brought them to a level of success where they were denied the opportunity to play live by the screaming of their "fans".

As for The Beatles doing more and more of their own work - I don't think any of them ever spliced a piece of tape, set levels for a 4 track to stereo bounce, auditioned session musicians, trained new engineers . . .

True, they got Glyn Johns to produce the first version of the Let It Be album, but George Martin was involved as well.  Then it eventually got re-mastered by Phil Spector, at the insistence of John Lennon mostly, before it was finally released.  They never "dumped" Martin.  There were two factions and lots of friction.  Paul favored Martin, John did not.  Martin was indeed involved with Let It Be, only not as the main producer.  For Abbey Road, their last recorded album, George Martin was once again recruited to produce it.  He only agreed to do it if we was once again in charge of the production as he had been on all the previous albums before the Let It Be fiasco.

skyline

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 04:07:28 PM »

True, they got Glyn Johns to produce the first version of the Let It Be album, but George Martin was involved as well.  Then it eventually got re-mastered by Phil Spector, at the insistence of John Lennon mostly, before it was finally released.  They never "dumped" Martin.  There were two factions and lots of friction.  Paul favored Martin, John did not.  Martin was indeed involved with Let It Be, only not as the main producer.  For Abbey Road, their last recorded album, George Martin was once again recruited to produce it.  He only agreed to do it if we was once again in charge of the production as he had been on all the previous albums before the Let It Be fiasco.

sorry - "dumped" was a poor word choice - more like side-tracked.

It will be intersting to see if there will be any publication of any of Martin's musings about the lads that he might have soft pedalled while alive
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 06:43:56 AM »

sorry - "dumped" was a poor word choice - more like side-tracked.

It will be intersting to see if there will be any publication of any of Martin's musings about the lads that he might have soft pedalled while alive

One of our local radio stations aired a segment on March 10 honoring George Martin that included some very insightful interviews he did a few years ago.

I have the hardcover book entitled "The Beatles Anthology" published in 2000 and claimed, in the credits, as being written by the Beatles.  The book contains very candid and honest quotes from all the Beatles, Neil Aspinall, Sir George Martin, Derek Taylor and others.  I consider that book to be an honest representation of the Beatles' story and probably the most accurate??  I can't find a reason to dispute it's accuracy.  I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in their story.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: