Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum V #10 of 10  (Read 2604 times)
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2016, 09:28:21 PM »

I changed the toggle switch knob and pickup rings to cream ones, and upgraded the Kluson tuners to the metal tulip knobs, completed a detailed setup after changing the strings, and adjusted the humbuckers to suit.  This guitar looks and plays like butter.  I am ecstatic!

George
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:29:23 PM »

two more pics...

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »

Looks very good - I endorse your updates (like that matters...  rolleye )

I always thought the black rings, etc. on these looked wrong. Cream is right.

The metal tuners are interesting; where did you order them? Did they add any perceptible/actual weight to the headstock/neck?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 10:19:01 PM »

Looks very good - I endorse your updates (like that matters...  rolleye )

I always thought the black rings, etc. on these looked wrong. Cream is right.

The metal tuners are interesting; where did you order them? Did they add any perceptible/actual weight to the headstock/neck?

I couldn't agree more about the color of the rings and the toggle switch cover.  Thanks for endorsing the upgrades, it matters to me.  No noticeable difference in weight to the headstock/neck, and I hate neck heavy guitars.  I ordered these tuners in nickel from Vision Guitar, they are the older model TPKB3-N model that TonePros/Kluson does not make in their current line.  However, they do now make a higher ratio (19:1) in their new Revolution G-Mount series that look just like them and cost quite a bit less.  I like to buy them from HD Custom Guitar Supply on Reverb or Ebay.

George
Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:19 PM »

Looks very nice!  Good work on the setup and changes.  What are you going to do with your TPKB3-N tuners you took off?  If they are in nearly perfect condition, I might be interested. 

Did you see if your humbucker covers had the corrosion you were worried about?

2000 C-09E (Fishman Matrix + AKG Soundhole Mic through Raven Labs PMB-1 Blender)
2005 C-30E Nylon (LR Baggs Element Pickup)
2011 RS-4 Spalted Maple #4 of 6 (Larrivee Gen3 Humbuckers)
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:18:11 AM »

Every time I list a set of TPKB3 tuners, with the plastic knobs not the nickel ones, they sell the very first day.  The corrosion on the covers polished right up with an application of Simichrome polish.

I love this guitar, it plays like butter... and has that pure, clear and round Larrivee Generation 3 humbucker tone too...

George
Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 01:21:41 AM »

They sell because Tonepros is no longer producing them.  I believe they had a license to use the Kluson brand with their products, but now Kluson is selling their own products again, so they probably refused to renew the license.  I haven't looked into it very far.

So, you're saying you already sold your stock tuners?

2000 C-09E (Fishman Matrix + AKG Soundhole Mic through Raven Labs PMB-1 Blender)
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »

They sell because Tonepros is no longer producing them.  I believe they had a license to use the Kluson brand with their products, but now Kluson is selling their own products again, so they probably refused to renew the license.  I haven't looked into it very far.

So, you're saying you already sold your stock tuners?

Yes sir they already sold.  I would also note that the TonePros/Kluson tuning machines were a bit more pricey than the new Kluson models, and some of the tuning body styles have changed, along with push in bushings instead of bolt bushings on some models.  You can still find what you want with either plastic or metal buttons in a variety of styles, just have to be a bit more cautious about selection when retrofitting...

George
Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »

The push in bushing models generally require a different hole bore size than our RS-4 have.  Unfortunately for availability, the hole is larger in our headstock, requiring the TPKB3 version.  The 33 version will not fit.

The Kluson brand tuners look like crap compared to the Tonepros.  It's a shame they wanted the brand back.

Mine are fine, there's just a hint of corrosion that is being stubborn.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that stuff.  I'll fix it, but I'd really just like a new set I can slap on there with minimal effort.

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »

The push in bushing models generally require a different hole bore size than our RS-4 have.  Unfortunately for availability, the hole is larger in our headstock, requiring the TPKB3 version.  The 33 version will not fit.

The Kluson brand tuners look like crap compared to the Tonepros.  It's a shame they wanted the brand back.

Mine are fine, there's just a hint of corrosion that is being stubborn.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that stuff.  I'll fix it, but I'd really just like a new set I can slap on there with minimal effort.

The bushings are often an issue.  I am not a big fan of the push in ones, and prefer the 10mm bolt bushing style tuners.  The recent exception to that is the Schaller Grand Tune models, very high quality tuning machine despite the push in bushing!  I too am extremely OCD about everything that has to do with the guitar, too bad my playing is not as perfect LOL!

George
Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »

Here's a shot of our headstock naked.  I was buffing the hairline scratch near the top by the flash reflection.  It's gone now.

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:18:23 PM »

Interesting thread.

I have two RS4's, one 3rd Gen HB, the other a gold top with Bigsby and P90's.

I had considered changing the black HB covers to cream, and even ordered a set, but haven't gotten around to it, I still have mixed feelings the end result-that guitar has Schaller tuners.

The second Rs4 I got has the Gibson style Klusons, and because the guitar is so much like my original 1958 Gold top that I sold in 1975, I couldn't imagine swapping out the tuners merely for aesthetic appeal.

Those Forum RS4's are lovely.....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »

Interesting thread.

I have two RS4's, one 3rd Gen HB, the other a gold top with Bigsby and P90's.

I had considered changing the black HB covers to cream, and even ordered a set, but haven't gotten around to it, I still have mixed feeling ons the end result-that guitar has Schaller tuners.

The second Rs4 I got has the Gibson style Klusons, and because the guitar is so much like my original 1958 Gold top that I sold in 1975, I couldn't imagine swapping out the tuners merely for aesthetic appeal.

Those Forum RS4's are lovely.....

Your TSB RS4 probably looks just fine with the black pickup rings.  My TSB RS4 has cream P90's and it looks good too.  Gotta be user's choice anyway...

George
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 04:26:33 PM »

looking at the OP's original post again, the Forum RS4 isn't anywhere near as dark as the Topbaco sunburst is, so the darker rings seem ok to me (at this point anyways).

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 11:31:05 PM »

looking at the OP's original post again, the Forum RS4 isn't anywhere near as dark as the Topbaco sunburst is, so the darker rings seem ok to me (at this point anyways).

You are correct, my Forum V RS4 is Iced Tea Burst, sometimes described as a mixture of Root Beer Burst and Amber Burst...  Also ITB is my favorite finish...

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 04:24:09 AM »

You are correct, my Forum V RS4 is Iced Tea Burst, sometimes described as a mixture of Root Beer Burst and Amber Burst...  Also ITB is my favorite finish...

And that is an incredible book-matched maple top under that finish - on a scale of 1-10, it's an 11 ... or maybe a 12.  drool

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 02:52:42 PM »

And man I am a sucker for both flamed and quilted maple, I have too many to count...  (Next fave is Koa).  This RS4 Forum V is a beautiful work of art.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: