Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bolt on Necks  (Read 8596 times)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »

It matters if it matters to you for whatever reason and it doesn't matter if it doesn't matter to you. Like wearing socks with sandals or mixing whisky with coke.   

Yuck...just saying

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »

I don't think Taylor acoustics ever had a set neck.  There was the old bolt-on system, and the new bolt-on system...  and the one used for the Baby Taylors, but never a set-neck.

Ed

Ed, please explain.  It was my understanding that 1999 and earlier Taylor acoustics had a set neck.  Was it really just a mortise and tenon with a bolt?

George
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2016, 01:14:55 AM »

Ed, please explain.  It was my understanding that 1999 and earlier Taylor acoustics had a set neck.  Was it really just a mortise and tenon with a bolt?

You should be able to have a look inside at the neck block to see if there are bolts.  Might be covered with wood plugs or something.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2016, 03:07:55 AM »

You should be able to have a look inside at the neck block to see if there are bolts.  Might be covered with wood plugs or something.
A paper label, at least that's what mine had.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2016, 03:20:11 AM »

They are in the neck block, covered by a sticker.  At one point, having that sticker intact was part of the warranty coverage.  

One of the big distinguishing things about Taylors from the start was the bolt-on neck.  My '94 422 (maple/spruce grand concert) had a bolt-on neck.  That was a great guitar until I got spoiled by the short scale and small body of my parlor.  I still miss it, but I wasn't playing it anymore.  In  99, they introduced the NT system...  more prefab factory supplied parts for dialing in the neck angle.

Ed
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »

I sold the guitar a few years back so I cannot look to see.  I was told by a Taylor dealer that it was a set neck.  Maybe I just assumed it was a dovetail joint.  No one answered the question about whether it was a mortise and tenon style...  Like I said before, my Martin with that neck join is superb...

George
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2016, 04:29:56 PM »

I sold the guitar a few years back so I cannot look to see.  I was told by a Taylor dealer that it was a set neck.  Maybe I just assumed it was a dovetail joint.  No one answered the question about whether it was a mortise and tenon style...  Like I said before, my Martin with that neck join is superb...

Doing a simple quick search, here is a page that shows a pre-NT neck being adjusted. 

http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/taylor-two-bolt-neck-reset/

And the frets.com page...

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/NeckReset/TaylorReset/taylorreset.html

The NT added the pre-made shims and routed depressions for them to fit in. 

And, the frets.com NT joint page...

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Data/Guitar/Taylor/99NeckJoint/99joint.html

Ed
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »

Doing a simple quick search, here is a page that shows a pre-NT neck being adjusted. 

http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/taylor-two-bolt-neck-reset/

And the frets.com page...

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/NeckReset/TaylorReset/taylorreset.html

The NT added the pre-made shims and routed depressions for them to fit in. 

And, the frets.com NT joint page...

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Data/Guitar/Taylor/99NeckJoint/99joint.html

Ed

Thanks much Ed.  This explains it all.  The neck heel shape certainly would give the appearance of it being a dovetail...

George
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2016, 06:37:16 PM »

well that's certainly more complicated than the Norman was . . .
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »

Ive taken a lot of necks off of many different guitars the last few years. It really surprises me that they look like it would be a dove tail joint, but once apart they are held together with round dowels, screws, bolts, and lots of glued up variations.
     I prefer a dovetail joint, but a well made bolt on does have the advantage of an easy reset.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2016, 07:33:52 PM »

I forgot to add this. I have two handmade custom guitars, made here in Austin. But the weak point is the bolt on neck he used.

Fortunately we have unclrob just a phone call away. I called him a few days ago and we talked about everything guitar folk talk about. He gave me lots of wisdom based on his experience, including how to fit the necks on the handmade customs. It will be awhile until they come up in the top of the repair list. But now I know the approach I'll try out.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: