Bolt on Necks

Started by skyline, February 14, 2016, 07:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on February 19, 2016, 07:22:45 AM
Herman Munster didn't like bolt on necks....

https://33.media.tumblr.com/2778db6fa7d5e9b11d3351ed73a0fd69/tumblr_nwk15x03dQ1uvepz6o1_400.gif

And we all know Herm was a discerning gent. Monsters and dinosaurs have that in common.  :beer

I have two hand made custom guitars, both have bolt on necks. But the way it was done is weak so I need to add some strength to the neck block joint. I hope to have at least one of them done right this  year.

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 19, 2016, 09:25:08 AM
And we all know Herm was a discerning gent. Monsters and dinosaurs have that in common.  :beer

so what you're saying is Herman would have preferred a dovetail neck , over the bolt on that he got.
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Quote from: abalone at last on February 20, 2016, 02:17:41 PM
so what you're saying is Herman would have preferred a dovetail neck , over the bolt on that he got.

Well duh! Who'd go for that arrangement if they had a choice? Damn mad scientists!   :cheers

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 15, 2016, 07:00:30 AM
To me, it's a matter of aesthetics and price when it comes to acoustic guitars. Yes, bolt on necks work. That is not the question. To me, however, acoustic guitar making is a refined form of fine cabinetry or furniture making and fine cabinetry and furniture is not bolted, screwed or nailed together. The prices of these objects should conform to the former and the latter if priced near or above the former is a form of gouging. They have found a way to reduce costs that is NOT passed down to the buyer.    

I agree.  That is why I have long asked for wood fretboard binding and heel caps on my Larrivees.  Seems like it is finally paying off.

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 15, 2016, 07:00:30 AM
To me, it's a matter of aesthetics and price when it comes to acoustic guitars. Yes, bolt on necks work. That is not the question. To me, however, acoustic guitar making is a refined form of fine cabinetry or furniture making and fine cabinetry and furniture is not bolted, screwed or nailed together. The prices of these objects should conform to the former and the latter if priced near or above the former is a form of gouging. They have found a way to reduce costs that is NOT passed down to the buyer

I definitely appreciate the idea of craftsmen rising to challenges - but I also own a piano - probably the finest culmination of aesthetics I may ever own - but I sure wouldn't want to sit so close to it if it were made without any bolts or steel - or . . . um . . . glue . . .  is glue okay for "fine cabinetry"

Quote from: skyline on March 12, 2016, 08:56:03 PM
I definitely appreciate the idea of craftsmen rising to challenges - but I also own a piano - probably the finest culmination of aesthetics I may ever own - but I sure wouldn't want to sit so close to it if it were made without any bolts or steel - or . . . um . . . glue . . .  is glue okay for "fine cabinetry"

We're talking about .... guitars. I think you may be misusing the glue.  :beer

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 13, 2016, 08:24:39 AM
We're talking about .... guitars. I think you may be misusing the glue.  :beer

Aye - right, easy on the glue.

My suggestion was partly that a lot of fine cabinetry does use screws, nails and such - there are also very old schools that don't use anything except wood (both produce fine cabinetry). I was simply wondering about your choice to limit the scope of fine cabinetry.

Made me wonder if I'd be even more impressed by a luthier's work if they went whole hog on the exclusion of bolts and screws, simply returning to violin style tuning pegs . . .

Darn glue fumes have made me misplace my rosin  :cheers

Quote from: skyline on March 13, 2016, 11:00:13 AM
Aye - right, easy on the glue.

My suggestion was partly that a lot of fine cabinetry does use screws, nails and such - there are also very old schools that don't use anything except wood (both produce fine cabinetry). I was simply wondering about your choice to limit the scope of fine cabinetry.

Made me wonder if I'd be even more impressed by a luthier's work if they went whole hog on the exclusion of bolts and screws, simply returning to violin style tuning pegs . . .

Darn glue fumes have made me misplace my rosin  :cheers

All comparisons, allegories, metaphors and similes etc. fail if taken too far or are examined too closely. My main point remains the same and obviously not everyone feels that way nor do I expect them to, nor do I feel any urgency to want to change their minds. I just don't care what other people do when it doesn't concern me. I made a joke in another thread, was asked about it and I stated how I feel about the subject. As far as I can see it, for me, the worst that can happen is I will never own a Taylor.  :beer

Just an idiot fact from me{being the idiot} even high end furniture builders used glue to fit things together back in the day. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on March 13, 2016, 03:03:21 PM
Just an idiot fact from me{being the idiot} even high end furniture builders used glue to fit things together back in the day. :wave

And many used nails, screws, and nuts and bolts.  Especially when they were readily available.  Many fine furniture builders used low tech options because that was all they had.  As soon as there were more reliable (and adjustable) options, they gave up on older less reliable methods.  Others used fine joinery as the focus of their craft.

Ed

Quote from: unclrob on March 13, 2016, 03:03:21 PM

Who said anything about glue? You can make one without wood but can you make a guitar without glue?  :?

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 13, 2016, 04:19:17 PM
Who said anything about glue? You can make one without wood but can you make a guitar without glue?  :?

it's a reasonable bet someone will try - does 3D printing count as glue?

I assume cardboard is made with glue - so this won't count:
http://www.ernestpackaging.com/ernest-cardboard-guitar-takes-on-legendary-licks/

A lot of the Maccaferri was injection molded, the neck was bolted, don't know about glue:
http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Maccaferri/10458/G40Guitar.html

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 13, 2016, 02:33:46 PM
All comparisons, allegories, metaphors and similes etc. fail if taken too far or are examined too closely. My main point remains the same and obviously not everyone feels that way nor do I expect them to, nor do I feel any urgency to want to change their minds. I just don't care what other people do when it doesn't concern me. I made a joke in another thread, was asked about it and I stated how I feel about the subject. As far as I can see it, for me, the worst that can happen is I will never own a Taylor.  :beer

:bgrin:
Clint
_______
2014 OM-09
2015 D-02
2022 LSV Forum VI

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 13, 2016, 02:33:46 PM

Something wrong with Taylors!   :angry:
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on March 13, 2016, 06:08:08 PM
Something wrong with Taylors!   :angry:

Collings, too!!! The real advantage is that a reset is much easier (read "less expensive") with the bolt on and, to my ear, there is no difference in tone. Collings is a very superior tone, in fact.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Like I said me idiot.....

As for bolt on necks there not as easy as you think and if there built to make it easier in my view there not built to gig on but just to look at.The oldest guitar I have is from 1948 and it doesn't need a neck set the next is a 1965 an it too doesn't need a neck reset nor dose my 1972 or 1975.Just saying....don't forget I'm an idiot. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: skyline on March 13, 2016, 04:50:37 PM

A lot of the Maccaferri was injection molded, the neck was bolted, don't know about glue:
http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/PluckedStrings/Guitars/Maccaferri/10458/G40Guitar.html

That Maccaferri is just up the road from me ... I really need to get up there sometime to see it (and everything else they have there - quite a national treasure of instruments there).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: broKen on March 13, 2016, 06:08:08 PM

Something wrong with Taylors!   :angry:

Not if you remember you're on the Larrivee forum here! We're generally nice to Taylor owners, as long as they can take the ribbing.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992