Travelling Guitar repair tech

Started by headsup, February 10, 2016, 01:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I mentioned in another post, my old pal Rufus Stewart, of  Rufus Guitar shop fame was on the road.
We used to work together in the early seventies. I  worked with him in the Mtl. shop, where JCL would come visit and bring his first steel strings, then in Nova Scotia (1974-1980 something)

If any Canadian people or east coast Canadians want their guitars tended to by one of the BEST there is, get in touch and I'll forward the info on to Rufus, who is heading to the Maritimes in a day or so.....He'll be setting up shop on Prince Edward Island for about 3 weeks.

here's a pic of him, doing some bridge work on my 1980 L-42, as well as a shot of the partial repair shop he brought into my house!
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

So Cool,Thanks.It does an old repairperson heart good to a master at work.Wish I could see more,maybe sit down and talk.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Very cool! My friend Marty Reynolds, formerly of The Podium in Minneapolis, should be in on that conversation, as well. Dedicated, talented luthiers and guitar techs are a treasure. Too bad every town doesn't have one but how great is it that Rufus takes his show on the road?  :thumb   

Looks like he's adding string ramps to the bridge.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on February 10, 2016, 09:30:49 PM
Looks like he's adding string ramps to the bridge.

I think so too.  I'm guessing the saddle protrusion is getting pretty low on that 35-year old 12-string.

Quote from: headsup on February 10, 2016, 01:14:00 PM
.........................I asked him about the conversation I remember him and Jean had on Jeans first visit.
At that time, in the shop we did all the Martin, Gibson Fender repairs etc, including doing intonation on acoustic guitars, (which nobody else was doing at the time).
Anyways the conversation was between Jean and Rufus around the importance of "pitching" (intonating acoustic guitar saddles), Jean didn't quite agree with Ru as to the importance of it, it was a funny discussion, that I actually had to ask Rufus last night if it happened, or if I imagined it.
Yup, says he, Jean & I didn't agree on a few things, like lack of serial numbers and adjustable truss rods..........................

Looks like Jean eventually came around to Rufus' thinking on the adjustable truss rod and serial numbers.   :laughin:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on February 11, 2016, 12:19:03 AM

Looks like Jean eventually came around to Rufus' thinking on the adjustable truss rod and serial numbers.   :laughin:

As for adjustable truss rods, so did CFMartin eventually. When you think that you have thousands of guitars out there with lifetime warranties, although you believe they're not absolutely necessary, as a business decision adjustable truss rods just make sense.  With serial numbers, same thing. After all, who knew you were going to make a hundred thousand guitars? Don't get me started on bolt on necks, however.