New Guy

Started by HFMark, February 08, 2016, 06:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everybody,

Not yet a Larrivee owner, but having serious guitar lust.  Going to Oxnard soon to tour the shop, can hardly wait.

55 years old.  Was taught by a friend and played a couple years, then took about 15 years away.  I still have my Takamine G33o I bought at the time, but looking to upgrade.  Looking forward to reading all your adventures!

Mark

You really know how to make an entrance Mark. I think there's one with butterscotch icing  :drool:
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

:welcome:     Mark....  :welcome:    Mark....   :welcome:   Mark ...   Wanted to thank you for the 3 donuts and cups of coffee I indulged in....    :+1:

Well...  I live in NC ...  am 69 ...  and am not ever going to get to Oxnard so I'm really jealous....

I have been to Wildwood Music in Ohio which is probably the next best Larrivee place to visit....  they are loaded with Larrivee's....

Glad you're joining our group of Larrivee addicts...  hope you will participate regularly...  :thumbsup

And tell us a little about yourself, too.....  BobW...  :guitar

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Being something of a doughnut addict myself......   :gotdonuts:

Like I said, I'm 55.  Been into music for a long time.  Played trumpet from 5th grade all the way through school.  I learned to play guitar from a friend (actually, my boss) that was self taught.  He taught me to play rhythm for him to play leads and got me into jamming with his friends.  When my work situation changed, so did my guitar playing.  I held onto my Takamine G330 all these years and about a year and a half ago, my wife decided to start taking lessons.  That got me to thinking about it again, but she was using my guitar.  That all changed this past November when she bought herself a Seagull Maritime SWS.  With my guitar again available, I started taking lessons from my wife's teacher's husband.  So, we go to the same place on the same night and take lessons "together"  It's been fun and most of what I had learned previously has come back to me, plus I've learned to play notes on the fretboard and to combine the two.  All in all, having a lot of fun.

Since my wife had to wait a year to get her guitar, she thinks I should wait a year, but I'm trying to bump that up.  We live in SoCal, so a trip to Oxnard isn't a far reach for us.  We have a trip scheduled and i can hardly wait!  All the reading and researching has pointed me toward Larrivee.  We went to Fretted Frog in Pasadena a few weeks ago and that was the first time I actually laid hands on a Larrivee.  I'm anxious to see how they are built and lay my hands on a few more!!

My wife is version 1.0.  We met in high school and have been married since '82.  We have three grown children that are gone from home and a dog that still lives at home. :wink:

Thanks again for the warm welcome!  I intend to make a nuisance of myself!

Mark

Hi and welcome from a Canadian member.

Your story is interesting and we have some things in common.  I'm a bit older (63 in 2 weeks).  I also learned music playing the trumpet in a "marching" band from grade 4 till I was 15 or so.  I also married my highschool sweetheart.  We met in grade 10 and have been together ever since.  We celebrated our 43rd anniversary last Sept. 1.  We have 2 grown daughters and 5 grandkids.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect Larrivee.  They are all good guitars.

Kurt in Edmonton, Alberta
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I'm 63 as well and like a good donut and cup of Joe now and then. Been playin since I  was a teenager, but improvement comes much slower than my guitar aquasitions.
   Welcome to the nut house  :wacko:
Thanks for the  :donut :donut2 :coffee

Mark... thanks for filling us in with the background data...  looking forward to hearing about your trip to Oxnard....   Do you need to have an appointment???? 

Hope you get to try a lot of different ones....  I'm pretty well settled on the 3 I have now but have owned about 12 different Larrivees....   happy hunting....   BobW...  :guitar

LO7 Shooting Star wrote:
QuoteYour story is interesting and we have some things in common.  I'm a bit older (63 in 2 weeks).  I also learned music playing the trumpet in a "marching" band from grade 4 till I was 15 or so.  I also married my highschool sweetheart.  We met in grade 10 and have been together ever since.
We met in 11th grade (for me) 12th for her.  It was our birthday and we met on the football field practicing marching band.  The rest of the band was singing "happy birthday" to her (I was the new kid in town) and that's what got us started.

Bob W wrote:
Quotelooking forward to hearing about your trip to Oxnard....   Do you need to have an appointment????
Yes, they seem to want to know you're coming.  I suppose more so if you have a big group coming.  All I know is, I'm really excited to go and see the shop!  If they'll let me, I'll take lots of pictures.

Mark

Welcome to the best guitar forum around. To get you ready for the tour,  here is a picture of Jean, son Matt and me when I toured the shop a few years ago.  They rare the nicest folks. Smell those spruce tops!

I picked up my new JCL 40th Anniversary Edition at the shop.  Jean was most proud of those guitars.  I am holding my D10 which Matt checked out for me while I was there.

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Welcome Mark! Enjoy your trip and tour and you're making an excellent choice for a new guitar!  :welcome:
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Welcome Mark.  Please take photos of your tour and share them with us (many of us old guys will never get the opportunity to go).  Oh and create any excuse to convince your wife to let you buy many Larrivee's.  Typically you cannot own just one...
George

georbro3 wrote:
QuoteOh and create any excuse to convince your wife to let you buy many Larrivee's.  Typically you cannot own just one...

Well, I guess that's kind of the cool thing about having a wife that is an enthusiast, too!  I forsee a day when we have hers, mine and ours!  :whistling:

Daily offering:

Mark

See?

There was just no way I could compete with this donut and coffee feast!  :roll

Welcome Mark. I think you arrived shortly before I did.

Mark
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

markj wrote:
QuoteSee?

There was just no way I could compete with this donut and coffee feast! 

Welcome Mark. I think you arrived shortly before I did.

I felt I had to go way over the top.  I don't have a Larrivee........ yet!

Krispy Kreme's on me!

Mark