Nylon strings

Started by Walkerman, February 05, 2016, 01:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer the plain strings that you tie a knot in, or do you prefer the ball-ended nylon strings?  Why?

I didn't know they even made nylon string with ball ends!

That said, I don't think I'd ever try them because I like the traditional look of tied ends.

AFAIC, if ball ends work as well, why would you bother with tie ends?

I have installed both on clients guitars theres no real difference between but ease of install.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I'd be concerned about the ball chewing up the block but even if that weren't an issue, they don't make the strings I like in ball ends and I don't know that I would want that look on a nice classical.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

First because of getting the strings I want, which are not ball ends; and second because of the look when they are "woven"

To each their own but that just looks messy to me like when players don't trim the strings on the other end. However, I was never a boy scout and a bow line is a work out for me. :wink:

Quote from: unclrob on February 05, 2016, 06:40:47 PM
I have installed both on clients guitars theres no real difference between but ease of install.

Rob....what brand of ball ends do you prefer .... Med tension.  Thanks. Also, what is the difference between folk nylon strings and classical nylon strings?

Quote from: cc407 on February 06, 2016, 07:01:24 AM
First because of getting the strings I want, which are not ball ends; and second because of the look when they are "woven"

This is a beautiful example of the "correct" way to tie strings on a classical guitar. I guess if you're doing a crossover, you can do anything you want but real classical players use the tied method.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

When I was a kid it was a badge of honor to be able to tie on my strings. And I still enjoy doing it; and it looks good.  Never used ball ends on nylon strings.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I just did this one...not my best execution, but I think this method looks nice and artistic.
To each their own...as long as the strings stay on!