Larrivee Finishes

Started by didymus21, January 30, 2016, 12:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: leo.vu on August 06, 2017, 10:13:58 AM
This is a close up of the finish! The owner simply says he has the gloss finish refinished and now the matte/shellac allows the sound to flow out much better. I didn't consider asking him why he gets it refinished so really thanks for the important pointer! First time trying to get a Larrivee (first time trying to get a high-end guitar anway haha) so I really need much input!

Exercise caution. I'm guessing it needed refinished. What other abuse has it been through?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Looks like a good job from that picture. Shellac is a very easy finish to repair. So it may be a good deal.

You say this is an 09, but it looks like mahogany, which makes it an 05. The 09's are usually made from rosewood.

The guitar is in excellent condition all thing considered. There is one ding that's nearly invisible and another mark up the neck which I think is justifiable since it's a 1998 model. From the series number it's definitely a rosewood b/s 09 though. Really besides the finishes I'm really happy with the guitar appearance. And it's okay if I return after checking it out for a few days so my main concern is really only about the finishes' durability since I never hear about a shellac finish before haha. Thank yall for the info!

Quote from: leo.vu on August 06, 2017, 09:33:43 PM
The guitar is in excellent condition all thing considered. There is one ding that's nearly invisible and another mark up the neck which I think is justifiable since it's a 1998 model. From the series number it's definitely a rosewood b/s 09 though. Really besides the finishes I'm really happy with the guitar appearance. And it's okay if I return after checking it out for a few days so my main concern is really only about the finishes' durability since I never hear about a shellac finish before haha. Thank yall for the info!
Please post more pics. The one you put up is not  rosewood.

I just got it. That must be a pic of the top.

Quote from: leo.vu on August 06, 2017, 09:53:57 PM
Yes it is  :thumbsup
You are a tricky one. That top looks fine, a nice patina.

2013 quilted mahogany with gloss finish. P o5.   how to clean?

Quote from: spiderbgood on January 17, 2018, 02:22:53 PM
2013 quilted mahogany with gloss finish. P o5.   how to clean?
Is it grimy or just smudged up with hand prints?

I just got it the 15th from Wildwood Guitars. No grime , perfect in every way. I wipe it down with the super duper Larrivee cloth. When the time comes what to clean/ protect it with ?

Quote from: spiderbgood on January 18, 2018, 10:46:35 AM
I just got it the 15th from Wildwood Guitars. No grime , perfect in every way. I wipe it down with the super duper Larrivee cloth. When the time comes what to clean/ protect it with ?
Martin guitar polish or D`Addario SHINE Spray Cleaner.

Quote from: spiderbgood on January 18, 2018, 10:46:35 AM
Wildwood Guitars or Wildwood Music?

I was looking at the P05 Quilted Mahogany on Wildwood Music. Spectacular guitar. I bought an LV-03RE from them just before Christmas. Great guitar.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

What if anything can be used on a satin finish where there is a very shallow dime size scratch where it resembles new skin where a scab just fell off.  Some kind of substance that can darken the wood a little and not make it as obvious.
Thanks!
Bill

Maybe a bit off topic but it is sort of finishes, I have  LV03R and I think that this might be bear claw in the finish. Has there been a definitive answer as to whether this is a plus or a minus to the value? I am thinking of selling this to get a LV09. Sorry I am a newbie and couldn't figure how to start a new thread.
:nanadance :nanadance :nana_guitar
:donut :donut2 :coffee

(Some) People use to hate that now they love it.  :cheers

Lobsters were once a nuisance thing that got caught in fishermans nets.
thrown out, or fed to the dogs. Not so much anymore.
even the ones with bear claw.... :beer
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

didymus21 thanks for the really useful info  :guitar

Quote from: billpurcell on February 05, 2019, 07:44:33 PM
What if anything can be used on a satin finish where there is a very shallow dime size scratch where it resembles new skin where a scab just fell off.  Some kind of substance that can darken the wood a little and not make it as obvious.
Thanks!
Bill

That's one of the biggest issues with satin, it doesn't repair well. I use CA glue (superglue) and sand it so that the finish is as close to the satin, in texture, as possible. It'll vary but around 1500 grit seems to do the job.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.