Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst Guitar Brand Name Ever?  (Read 4253 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 01:51:58 PM »

I bought a Goya, under the Martin aegis and I believe Korean made, for my dad in the late 70's. It came to me when he passed and then a nephew "borrowed" it and I never saw it again. It was a nice little guitar.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

In Hebrew the suffix "im" denotes plurality. The word is translated gentiles, or nations.

It's Greek equivalent is interesting and translated earth, as in dirt.

Actually, the word "adam" - which we have turned into the name "Adam" for the father of all living - "adam" in Hebrew means "earthling" - or literally "dirtling."

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »

In Hebrew the suffix "im" denotes plurality. The word is translated gentiles, or nations. It's Greek equivalent is interesting and translated earth, as in dirt.

I never said it was actually named after the Yiddish meaning and the Spanish link makes sense.  It just strikes me that way because I've heard the term used a lot.
     I  have a Goya made in Sweden in the mid to late 50's by  Levin. It's another rebuild project. Needs a neck reset etc.

Thanks for the Hebrew lesson.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »

I bought a Goya, under the Martin aegis and I believe Korean made, for my dad in the late 70's. It came to me when he passed and then a nephew "borrowed" it and I never saw it again. It was a nice little guitar.
I had a Korean made Goya as well, not a bad laminate.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »

I never said it was actually named after the Yiddish meaning and the Spanish link makes sense.  It just strikes me that way because I've heard the term used a lot.
     I  have a Goya made in Sweden in the mid to late 50's by  Levin. It's another rebuild project. Needs a neck reset etc.

Thanks for the Hebrew lesson.

The wiki page...  with more info than anyone needs!  Lol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levin_(guitar_company)

Ed
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »

Actually, Goya guitars has nothing to do with the Yiddish meaning.  The brand was named after the Spanish painter Francisco Goya who featured guitars in many of his paintings.  I believe their first offerings were nylon string.  It makes sense that marketing a (chiefly) Spanish instrument, a name associated with Spain would be used. 

Ed

Thanks Ed, I like being corrected. 

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 10:20:26 PM »

Thanks Ed, I like being corrected. 

Oops...  not quite the intent.  Honestly!  Clarification, not correction.

Take a look at the wiki page.  It's interesting to see the convolutions the name has gone through.

Ed
G_Sin

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »

Hopefully this makes sense.  For me, the "Blueridge" brand whose guitars are made in China (to my knowledge) is simply bad marketing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: