Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Added a new member to the family fold - Washburn 'comfort' series  (Read 922 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2015, 06:43:31 AM »

Oldest son just graduated from college, and his Michael Kelley acoustic with the variable set neck (pretty cool) self-destructed due to lack of care on my part when handing it off to him (bridge pulling up eventually ripped the top layer off the laminate).

While home these past few days, he said that now that he's done, he wants to concentrate on playing/learning again.

Off to Craigslist I went and found one of these: http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/WCG18CEB.html for a decent price and we went to check it out - somewhat out of scientific curiosity.  There's a belly-cut in the back, and a forearm contour on the lower bout, and I was curious.

Sound:  It's somewhat dead - particularly on the low end of things - but it's also pretty shallow bodied.  New strings might help but I'm guessing they won't too much.
Intonation:  amazingly good all the way up the neck and into the cutaway area.  It also sounds decent plugged in, much more of a magnetic pickup sound than a piezo, but it comes with a Fishman UST/Preamp/Tuner (I think it's UST, but not sure).
Playability:  VERY comfortable playing while sitting with the shallow body depth and belly and forearm contours.  Frets are dressed quite well (guy we bought it from says his son does guitar tech work for him).

Nathan bought it and we brought it home and I gave it a good cleaning.  It feels really solid, like a good knock-around guitar, and with the playability could turn out to be a great learning instrument for him. 

This guitar seems like it's actually properly named as an 'acoustic electric' as it feels in the hands.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 08:10:23 AM »

You're a good dad!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:33 AM »

You are indeed a good dad.  How is the guitar working out?  It sounds like it's fun to have around.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:03 AM »

He has been playing and enjoying it. He visited us this past weekend and brought it with him.  Playability is really nice.  I'm thinking he might get attached to this guitar.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: