Most Beatle-esque Bands?

Started by ducktrapper, January 10, 2016, 10:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been listening to a lot of Stealers Wheel/Gerry Rafferty/Joe Egan recently. Probably one of the best bands of all carrying The Beatle banner and preserving "the sound" and "the feel" of Beatledom. How about it? Who are the best Beatle-esque bands/artists who are non-Beatles? I'll give you one more. "Lies" by The Knickerbockers. Best Beatle sounding single ever ... not actually performed by The Beatles?     

Klaatu

The Knack also had some similarities.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 10, 2016, 01:06:59 PM
Klaatu

The Knack also had some similarities.

Right. I remember that, as part of the marketing strategy, they tried to have folks think that Klaatu actually were  The Beatles. Heck, weren't they Canadians?  :ohmy:

The Knack had some similarities, mostly based on the album cover, but they didn't really sound that much like them.

Listen to the clips from "Jeff Lynne's ELO: Alone in the Universe" (new)
Link

Badfinger.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

You might laugh, but I will follow the lead of the Tuner podcast and state that One Direction's "Olivia" has a whole lot of Beatles in it.  And they get the crowds of screaming girls.

Here's the evidence:
http://www.tuner.show/episodes/2015/11/22/5-if-i-needed-some-one-direction

A fellow FAWMer (February Album Writing Month participant) keeps a great blog on Beatles songwriting tips called "Tickets to Write".  If you want to write in the fashion of the Beatles, it's a pretty great resource:  http://beatlessongwriting.blogspot.com/p/tickets-to-write.html
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I tuned to an "oldies" radio station the other day and happened to catch a familiar song about halfway through. Wow, I had myself a real senior moment trying to remember who the heck was singing. Had me thinking Beatles for a moment as it sure had that feel and sounded a lot like John Lennon singing. Nope, turned out to be the Bee Gees. "Lonely days, lonely nights, where would I be without my woman..."
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Of course, Elton John did a lot of Beatle type music. How about Big Star? Also one of the best "unknown" bands around. There's a great   documentary on them on Netflix. No One Can Hurt Me. Well worth a watch.

I think "Beatlesque"  is a pretty broad thing.  Think of the variety and changes from early Beatles up thru Sgt. Pepper and beyond.  Same was true of another northern England band of the same period.  I've been on a Hollies kick lately.  Searching youtube, I've found songs I never heard before, many are covers or songs written by others that they put their definitive stamp on.  With Allan Clarke, Graham Nash and Tony Hicks their vocal blend was awesome.  They recorded at the Abbey Road studio at the same time the Beatles were there.
Bobby Elliot on drums was always interesting and tasteful, paired with Eric Haydock and later Bern Calvert on bass  the foundation was always solid.  Tony Hicks makes me scratch my head when I watch him play.  It makes sense when you hear it but he has a strange (unique?) playing style.  He came up with some great musical hooks as lead guitarist.  Love it!  

A couple live clips...  

I Can't Let Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK671sO5pe0

Look Through Any Window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqL-J7k8rHY

This one isn't a live clip but I think it shows the influence of Sgt. Pepper with the way the piano intro sounds as well as the rest of the recording.  Clarkes vocal phrasing and the Hollies harmonies are excellent here.

Pay You Back With Interest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llq4VU8Cl9A

Just for fun, they do a Chuck Berry tune on the TV show Shindig.  As a spoof, Graham throws in the first four words of "I Feel Fine"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZUNPOjjs3w

I love The Hollies. You left out Bus Stop. Graham Gouldman wrote some great songs for them and another Beatlesque band called 10cc.  :thumb

Yes, Bustop is a gem from start to finish.  If it's on the radio, my hand is reaching for the volume knob automatically!  I didn't want to list too many songs on the post but yes I was tempted!   If you haven't heard "Yes I Will" lately,  pull that one up.  Their harmonies are so good.
When they recorded Carousel at Abbey Road a film crew was there and recorded the session.  You can find that clip on youtube as well.  I can spend hours searching for music clips like that.

Lucky for us,  Shindig performances were live instead of lip synced.  So great to see these bands playing their songs live and sounding great with no modern effects BS. 

For me, "Stop, Stop, Stop" and "Look Through Any Window" exemplifies the Hollies.

As for Beatle-esque bands ..... Early Bee Gees ...."in My Own Time" .....  In fact, we speculated at the time that BeeGees stood for Beatles Group.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 11, 2016, 08:19:56 PM
For me, "Stop, Stop, Stop" and "Look Through Any Window" exemplifies the Hollies.

As for Beatle-esque bands ..... Early Bee Gees ...."in My Own Time" .....  In fact, we speculated at the time that BeeGees stood for Beatles Group.

Sure. Bee Gees before they became a disco band were totally Beatles-lite. More McCartney than Lennon, however. They lacked the sneer. Quite a few bands could come up with the Paul, pop side of the Beatles, add some 12 string to do some Harrison but few could manage both the pop side and the cutting edge of Lennon's style. And none of them had Ringo!  :beer   

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 12, 2016, 08:21:10 AM
Sure. Bee Gees before they became a disco band were totally Beatles-lite. More McCartney than Lennon, however. They lacked the sneer. Quite a few bands could come up with the Paul, pop side of the Beatles, add some 12 string to do some Harrison but few could manage both the pop side and the cutting edge of Lennon's style. And none of them had Ringo!  :beer   

The Beatles don't get proper respect for their musicianship.  Especially George and Ringo.  I was watching a McCartney and Wings concert and I noticed something I had never seen before.  Paul uses a pick when he plays bass ..... on every song they played.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 12, 2016, 08:08:49 PM
The Beatles don't get proper respect for their musicianship.  Especially George and Ringo.  I was watching a McCartney and Wings concert and I noticed something I had never seen before.  Paul uses a pick when he plays bass ..... on every song they played.

Yep, I've noticed that too. But after all, he's a guitar player who got stuck with the bass and made the most of it. I'm always amazed that people don't recognize that Ringo is one of the great drummers. As for George? My man!  :beer 

How about a few more? And solo artists, as well.

The Odds
The Records
Aimee Mann
Michael Penn
Teddy Thompson
Freedy Johnston
The Smithereens
Elliot Smith
Matthew Sweet

Check out Todd Rundgren's Deface The Music..... :winkin:

"I Just Want to Touch You"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ldLwavOp6E
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

My favorite rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps with Harrison, EJ, EC, Ringo and Phil Collins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsD3W02JcQs
George