Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the best pick up for my Larrivee L-09  (Read 1645 times)
Drakeford827

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »

So I recently Got a Larrivee L-09 and It's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played! It doesn't
have a pickup in it and I really want to maintain the essence of the guitar when I play gigs. I've looked
into K&K mini's, LR baggs lyric, anthem, and element. what would you guys recommend?

I mainly play coffee shops, bars, and festivals sometimes.

thanks in advance for your help!

-Drakeford
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:55:16 PM »

I'm sold on K&K Pure Mini (or Pure Western, or whatever they call 'em these days).  I put them in all my guitars.  I couple mine with a K&K Pure Preamp, but people I know have had great results with Red Eye, Baggs, and other pre/DI boxes.  Usually, if it is a smallish place I plug straight into my Ultrasound with no preamp and get great results.

Ed
Scrambler17

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 04:52:10 PM »

I have the same experience as eded.  K&K pure mini.  It sounded good plugged straight into the board without a preamp, and had decent signal strength even though it was passive, but the EQ was a little funny according to our sound engineer.  I coupled it with a K&K Pure XLR Preamp and tweaked the eq a bit there then there are only minor needs at the board. 

I like the fact it's passive and no modifications to the guitar.  I wish I had a mute switch, don't really miss the lack of volume control (although K&K has add ons for a volume wheel)  I've solved the mute switch with a tuner pedal.  I also wish the Pure XLR had an effects loop.  I run a reverb pedal often so I use the pure xlr preamp as a preamp only without the direct box option, then run from the reverb pedal to a direct box. 

L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:01:47 AM »

K & K all the way.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Drakeford827

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 03:22:01 AM »

Thanks guys! I was already leaning towards K&K so that is probably what I'll go with. The only other one I had my eye on was the Lr baggs Anthem simply because it blends the two different pick up styles.....is there any reason I should look more in to those, or do you guys think I'd be better off just getting the pure mini?

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 04:29:38 AM »

I prefer the Bagg's Anthem SL,less crap inside of your guitar.I like the K+K except for the stupid glue thats use to adhere them to the guitar,be verrrrrrrryyyy very careful.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 05:01:34 AM »

I'll ad my vote for the K&K to the others above.  I have them in both my L-07 and L-40 12-string.  I have the same good experience plugging straight into the board or into my Traynor "Acoustic Master" amp.  With those two setups, I don't need to use any preamp.  The board or the acoustic amp. provides all the eq. and effects I need to get very realistic sound.  I do have a Baggs Para Acoustic D I preamp, but the only time I use it is if I'm plugging into a conventional electric guitar amp.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 12:10:19 PM »

K&K or nothin'

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Drakeford827

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 09:51:14 PM »

K&K it is! ordered this morning and should be here in a few days!
Thanks again for the help, I'll upload a video when I get it installed!

-Drakeford
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: