Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Semple's gear?  (Read 2596 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:26:33 AM »

I've been watching some of the video's on Jack Semple's webpage, like this one of Little Wing, and he's using a '70's hardtail Strat - looks like it may have EMG single coils in it, and his amp in these videos (and others on YouTube) is a simple Peavey Bandit (3rd generation Transtube - the newest version).

Can anyone confirm what his pickups are?

And what is the footpedal he's using? Is it a Roland COSM or ... what? (There are a couple pretty good shots of it in the Little Wing video link above, but I'm just not quite getting it.)

If anyone knows of a link somewhere on line where he discusses his gear (or others with good info do), please share the link.

Thanks.  Since someone mentioned he and his son in a thread a week or so ago, I've been watching videos, ordered his CD, In the Blue Light, and just been blown away by his playing!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:29:45 AM »

Here you go.
1:01:24:04

click the picture below to get a better look.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 02:17:06 AM »

Thanks ... I did see that, which tells me it's a Roland/Boss unit, but I can't tell which one. I've checked out the ones on Musicians Friend's website, and nothing else looks quite like what his looks like on top (one row of knobs, four footswitches plus one volume/wah pedal). I suspect he might be using something older that's no longer offered.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 02:19:34 AM »

Hi Mikeymac,

It looks like a Boss ME-70

http://www.bossus.com/products/me-70/

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:21:03 PM »

ST,

Thanks - yes, I think you're right - I was just going to post here that I found a few pics of the ME70 online, and it has "COSM" on the back (the ME80 doesn't say COSM on the back), and the single foot switches (the ME80 has double rocker switches in each of the four positions - 8  foot switches total).

I've been looking at some ME70s on e-bay, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense just to get the most recent version, which has more versatility and updated overdrives and distortions (from their GT-100 unit) included.

I've been looking at another Roland/"Boss" product to run it through, the new Roland Jazz Chorus 40 amp - they just got one at the local mom 'n' pop last week, and I played through it with my Sheraton and one of my Strats today - it really sounds pretty sweet...and it has stereo input capability, which you can run out of the ME80 - a match made in heaven?

Gear gas...   drool  ...could be my birthday present to myself (58 today...)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:27:11 PM »

...could be my birthday present to myself (58 today...)
Well Happy 58th 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »

Hi Mikeymac,

Happy Birthday.  You only live once, so check this out. Kemper Profiling Amp

This has replaced everything except my Roland VG-99 Virtual Guitar System

and I'm only keeping that for non-guitar sounds.

I've had the GT-100 and it sounds great - but it doesn't hold a candle to what you can do with the Kemper.

ST,

Thanks - yes, I think you're right - I was just going to post here that I found a few pics of the ME70 online, and it has "COSM" on the back (the ME80 doesn't say COSM on the back), and the single foot switches (the ME80 has double rocker switches in each of the four positions - 8  foot switches total).

I've been looking at some ME70s on e-bay, but I'm wondering if it makes more sense just to get the most recent version, which has more versatility and updated overdrives and distortions (from their GT-100 unit) included.

I've been looking at another Roland/"Boss" product to run it through, the new Roland Jazz Chorus 40 amp - they just got one at the local mom 'n' pop last week, and I played through it with my Sheraton and one of my Strats today - it really sounds pretty sweet...and it has stereo input capability, which you can run out of the ME80 - a match made in heaven?

Gear gas...   drool  ...could be my birthday present to myself (58 today...)

Scrambler17

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »

Happy Birthday 

I can't comment on that multi effects board personally, but I had one that was similar.  A Korg AX1000g I bought in the early 2000's.  Which I ran through a Roland JC90.  I ran that pedal through some basic use during that time in my early 20's.  Then I focused on acoustic almost exclusively until a few years ago.  Where I started playing electric again at our church. 

Here is some backstory to their setup, which may or may not be useful, but I'll offer it as my experience. 

They had a multi-pedal there for rythym guitar but I don't think anyone ever dialed it in and it was a bit beat up.  We have a number of musicians that play (3 services per weekend where we typically play all 3 services as they're the same set).  But we have a number of people that rotate through and play various weekends per month.  The church had some gear that some folks played, some brought our own.  We had a few workshops with Andrew Ironside of Hillsong Austrailia come through and they talked gear.  Our worship leader wanted folks to build their own pedalboards, gear, etc.  The church provides the tube amps, and we're now supposed to bring everything in front of that, at least that's the goal.  So I ran my Korg for a year, and got pretty good sounds out of it, and then about a year ago, I got a few more individual pedals to have enough for a rythym guitar worship setup.  The pro's from Australia were talking about big gear and being professional, etc, which I can appreciate, but part of me thinks for a volunteer position on the worship team it's a lot of $.  Anyway, that's a bit of a tangent.  I thought the Multi-board sounded pretty good.  It's just about knowing how to dial in the sound with the different parameters, and saving the patch.  Then arranging your patches so you can switch through them in a set as needed.  It gave the ability to really change your sound from song to song quickly and easily.  But you were stuck with what was in there (not that it was all that limited).  I feel like I'm starting to ramble a little.  let me know if you have any questions about that specifically. 

Moving on to the amp.  I've got at JC90, which has two 40 watt amps powering 2 10" speakers individually (one amp per speaker).  It's built like a tank, plenty loud, has the chorus which is unmatched for that style chorus IMO, and the spring reverb is nice.  Mine has 2 inputs but it's a high and a low, not a parallel stereo like the new ones.  I feel like it's too much amp for what I do now.  When I take it out, it's miced and through the PA, and I haven't had it above 2 for quite sometime.  Great clean tones, takes distortion pedals well for what I do.  It has a nice jazzy, bluesy distortion to it as well.  I should get a footswitch for it, because switching from distortion to clean on the fly doesn't work.  It looks like the JC 40 it set up like that as well, the distortion is on the channel, and would impact the volume.  That's why I've used pedals, but I may not know the best way to work it.  That being said, I've got a tube amp on my wishlist, something possibly like a Peavey classic 30 or something that size.  To get the tube sound.  But I don't play out enough to warrant the funds at this time. 

As far as amp modeling goes, I've been looking at the SansAmp line.  Specifically the Para Driver DI currently for some amp modeling so I could take the electric out and run it straight through the PA.  But they have other amp  modeling boxes as well that may have more options that could then be run to a Direct Box.  So as a mini thread hijack, if anyone has any opinions about that, let me know.  I could always try to run the amp profile through my Korg Ax1000g as well in the line and only use that as the amp modeler, but adding a big pedal to just do that seems strange to me. 

L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »

ST,

The Kemper Profiling Amp sounds pretty cool, and has a great following so far ... but ... what does it cost?$?$?$?

Scrambler,

Appreciate your comments, especially regarding using the JC90 amp... I still need to try the JC40 with some overdrive pedals to see if the sounds are warm and "tubey" enough for real world use... then also need to see if the ME80 plays well with the JC40...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 01:31:33 AM »

Let's take a look

Scrambler17

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 01:45:27 AM »

That kemper amp is pretty cool. But for functionality I think you need the foot pedal. So add another five hundred.

I like the Jc sound. And it played will with pedals in my opinion. Just a different sound than the tube. but I had no problems with sound through the pedal with the JC.

L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 07:58:20 PM »

Yeah, that's what I thought - a bit pricey. Not saying it's not worth it; they get lots of rave reviews.

That kemper amp is pretty cool. But for functionality I think you need the foot pedal. So add another five hundred.

Is that right? You also need a pricey foot switch (for "live" use)?

I like the Jc sound. And it played will with pedals in my opinion. Just a different sound than the tube. but I had no problems with sound through the pedal with the JC.

I'll be checking out the JC  40 some more. I got some birthday money, which is burning a whole in my pocket...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:16:20 AM »

Hi Mikeymac,

Last time I checked, since the foot controller was introduced, all new shipments of any model of the Kemper Profiling Amp include it. The pricing reflects that. It's only stock on hand from before the foot controller came out that can be purchased without it.

If the foot controller had been available at the time I would happily have paid the higher price to have it all bundled together. But since it wasn't available I used another midi pedal that I had kicking around here. 

I change profiles for different songs, and even if you don't use midi, you can plug foot switches and expression pedals directly in to the Kemper.  So I haven't felt the need to drag the midi pedal out to gigs very often.

I'm still contemplating getting the foot controller anyway as a nice-to-have, but it's not essential for the way I perform live.

If the Kemper had existed a few decades ago it would have paid for itself many, many times over not only in money, but time.

These days if I want a pleasant diversion I can connect the Kemper to my computer and go strolling through thousands of profiles from other Kemper owners who have profiled their favourite amps. When I find something I like, I hit "save' and it's mine to use.

As for the price, well this is one of those times where I got *way* more than I paid for. I would paid as much to find my holy grail amp. With this, I can have mine, and lots of other people's too.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »

As for the price, well this is one of those times where I got *way* more than I paid for. I would paid as much to find my holy grail amp. With this, I can have mine, and lots of other people's too.

This seems to be the consensus of lots of people who have tried or own these... it's the real deal and therefore well worth the investment.  It's a stretch for me right now, though (and in light of what my actual use would be - it would be hard to justify it).

I played the JC40 some more last night, and also compared it to the new Blues Cube Stage amp which they also had (it's $100 more/street price than the JC40). After some back and forth, my ears said the JC40 had a better and more versatile clean tone to build on. The Stage has some other perks the JC40 doesn't have, like adjustable wattage, two channels and other boost functions. But bottom line "tone" the JC won - to my ears.

The sales guy asked me if I had any of their in-store "16% off" cards to apply to purchase of the amp (it was a promotional card they handed out in December, good through Jan 31st). I told him I didn't have one, but if they could find one, it would cause me to lay down my money for the amp right now (also have a  gift card in my wallet). They couldn't find a card lying around, and he wasn't authorized to just give me the discount. I told him I'd come home and see if I had one of those cards lying around here somewhere... so tempting...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 04:49:22 AM »

Here's another great tune by Jack and the band...

Peace, Love and Happiness

Great tone for a Boss ME70 through a Peavey Bandit amp...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:59:25 AM »

Here's another great tune by Jack and the band...

Peace, Love and Happiness

Great tone for a Boss ME70 through a Peavey Bandit amp...

I was thinking that it looked like a Peavey amp behind him.

Honestly, none of the tone sounds particularly tasty to my ear.  He has a cool technique that sounds great like around 4:35-5:00, but the stuff after that like from 5:00-and for 20 seconds or so, where it's out of time with the song, that really kind of wrecks it.  How about the ride cymbals at 5:35 - listen to it on nice headphones - that's tasty.

But for the guitar tones, pretty much everything in that video can be had by most modeling gear these days, even rather inexpensive stuff.  Put his chops with a cheap chinese made strat and a Zoom G3, and you will get nearly the same result.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 06:02:28 AM »

Well ... great minds (and ears) can disagree - I'm amazed at his technique AND his tone - there may be a few places where it sounds "SS" but of the most part, it's just great tone and tasty playing.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: