tuner replacement - looks are deceiving?

Started by tlp2, December 30, 2015, 08:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi All,
Would like to replace the orig Larrivee mini tuners on my 00-03MT.

They look like these:

These do not look like (to my eye) the Gotoh 510 that I've read about on multiple threads here or the JCL mini either?

Seems like the screw hole offset is different?

JCL

Gotoh 510 mini

The dimensions provided are sufficiently insufficient to ascertain whether or not
these will require drilling new screw holes
which I do not want to do.
Little help please?

:smile:

I'm not sure on this, and hopefully those in the know will correct what I have wrong...  

According to the new Larrivee parts sale page, the JCL minis are drop in (no drilling required) replacements for the stock Larrivee minis.  I *think* there is enough of a difference in size of the tuner body to make the offset look different.  (Hopefully I've worded that the right way.). I believe the dimensions for the JCL's are the same as the 510 minis.

Here is the JCL page...   http://www.larrivee.com/shop/jcl-181-minis-parlor-or-12-string

If you find out for sure, post please.  I have been planning to upgrade to 21:1 510's, but these 18:1 JCL's look nice, too.

Ed

I have not used the  JCL minis, but I did replace the standard Larrivée  tuners with standard size JCL's. They were a perfect drop in on my D-02.

Ed - you're making sense wording wise.  
I would think the JCL mini should/would be a drop in,
but doing a reality check.
edit:  forgot to add that the Larrivee page says the JCL mini "can easily be swapped out with our standard size "Larrivée" 16:1 tuners"
which is a bit confusing.

Dan - thanks for the info.  What did you think of the JCL upgrade?  
That would be the easier route to go,
presuming that the 510 mini needs relocation of the screw.

I really like the looks of the JCL and they work just fine.

The Schaller M-6 Mini is a drop in replacement I believe.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: tlp2 on December 30, 2015, 11:12:21 AM

edit:  forgot to add that the Larrivee page says the JCL mini "can easily be swapped out with our standard size "Larrivée" 16:1 tuners"
which is a bit confusing.

Hmmm...  I missed that part.  It says the same for both size JCL's.  I sent an email for clarification.

Ed

That Schaller does look correct doesn't it.
Thanks Mr LV!

Ed - I also sent an email to info@larrivee.com.  Standing by.

I would be very surprised if they were not simply drop in. The Gotoh 510 21:1 Contour is the nicest tuner around, imho. I have them on my D-05. As an old friend of mine use to say, "Heavy duty, thing of beauty."  

The schaller m6 minis are direct drop ins, the gotoh minis are not.

Quote from: dependan on December 30, 2015, 09:34:06 AM
I have not used the  JCL minis, but I did replace the standard Larrivée  tuners with standard size JCL's. They were a perfect drop in on my D-02.

It depends on the age of the guitar.  On my older Larrys, the full sized tuners have the same screw configuration as do the Schaller mini m6 tuners...that is to say straight out from the body.  I cannot find any drop in replacement for these.

Hi Folks,

I can take responsibility for the incorrect description information on the "JCL" minis. They DO NOT swap out and I have made the correction to the item.

You can however, swap out with the mini golds and mini gold/Ivoroid button tuners. 

Thanks for those pointing out the error.

Happy New Year to you all!

Word from the man himself.
Thanks!
And happy new year to you and yours as well. 

Quote from: tlp2 on January 02, 2016, 07:04:21 PM
Word from the man himself.
Thanks!
And happy new year to you and yours as well. 

Yeah.  I got my email reply today.  I came straight here to post, but it was already done.

Plugging the holes and redrilling isn't out of the question.

Ed

^ Always a possibility. 
And I'm wondering if this might cover that plugged hole?
Hate to leave a blemish.

Update -

The Schaller M-6 Mini is a really nice tuner but is too small - not a drop in replacement. 

I presume then that this 00-03 does not have the Larrivee mini tuner (?) even though they look like it. 

Standard M-6 looks to be the right size but doesn't have the same screw configuration as the mini.  

Oh well, back to square 1, but that's ok, it's all just fun.

:)

Quote from: tlp2 on January 20, 2016, 08:15:50 AM
Update -

The Schaller M-6 Mini is a really nice tuner but is too small - not a drop in replacement. 

I presume then that this 00-03 does not have the Larrivee mini tuner (?) even though they look like it. 

Standard M-6 looks to be the right size but doesn't have the same screw configuration as the mini.  

Oh well, back to square 1, but that's ok, it's all just fun.

:)

What do you mean by too small?  I compared the specs on the linked page with my own and they seemed almost identical.  :?

Also from the link

Schaller M-6 Mini Guitar Machines
By Jeff L Wagner from German Valley, IL
(Customer's Reviews) Saturday, September 07, 2013

I own a Larrivee P-09 Guitar, one of the tuners stripped out, I found the M-6 Mini tuners on the Stew-mac web page, they were a perfect match , I could have changed just the one, but did all of them. they work perfectly, and matched even the screw hole in the right spot. Could'nt be happier with them. They are smooth and stay tuned. A good buy for sure.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Hey LV,

I bought a set of the M6 minis, pulled off one of the old tuners and fitted one of the new ones.

From my quick fit and eyeball assessment,
small means that when the new tuner is on and squared up,
the screw hole is offset and out of place by a 1/16th or maybe more on the long axis.  
You might could install a little tilted and force the screw hole but......

I'll probably peg the existing screw holes and redrill pilot holes to keep things lined up.  
Also, looks like the new mini will entirely covers the peg so no blemish.  Nice!
If I get motivated, I'll take some pics when I get time to do the swap.

I've got an L-03 (2007 vintage) that I replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh 381s (which look to be the first one you show). They dropped in easily and I love them. Note that the drop-ins (at least on the L models) have a 45 degree offset in the screw hole to post. Here's a file that you might want to keep handy while you're trying to decide which tuner will work for you: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

I do not believe that the first picture is of a mini.  Notice how short the neck is compared to the neck of the mini under it.  If it is in fact a full-sized tuner, there are no current drop in replacements available.  Waverly open back tuners can be installed, and they will cover the holes.  Moreover, they are the best ...IMO ... tuner available.

How old is your guitar?