Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion fodder - guitar critiquing, sample recordings and . . .  (Read 1510 times)
skyline

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »

It's always interesting to read a "new take" on the ideas . . .

How To Critically Analyze Guitar Tone

The same site also has a lot of sample recordings of various interesting "non-factory" guitars:

The Listening

The Analog Diaries

Little Tree OM
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »

Posted a long reply about grading tonal qualities (from someone who does it for a living) and my stupid phone deleted it.
Anyhow, I'm so glad you posted that!  I was just thinking of that wormy guitar yesterday (after not thinking about it for a year) and was wishing I knew where I saw it.  They have some nice guitars and samples, and some of those luthier builds aren't too bad as far as price goes.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 03:49:43 AM »

and some of those luthier builds aren't too bad as far as price goes.

When it comes to finding affordable instruments, guitarists may be the most fortunate of all musicians. (How many alternatives does a bassoonist have to acquire a high grade instrument?  )

Just curious - if you consider how many instruments one luthier can expect to build in one year -  what would folks consider to be a "not too bad price"?
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:00:01 AM »

Just curious - if you consider how many instruments one luthier can expect to build in one year -  what would folks consider to be a "not too bad price"?

For instance - here's a "Canadian Wood OM" (similar to the one linked above):

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/new-instruments/luthier-other-acoustic-guitars/little-tree-om-0914/

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »

When it comes to finding affordable instruments, guitarists may be the most fortunate of all musicians. (How many alternatives does a bassoonist have to acquire a high grade instrument?  )

I think that under $4k for luthier built instruments instruments on the level that some of those are built is not bad.  There are some on that site for $3k to $3,500~ish that I expected to cost more. 

Regarding the options that a guitarist has, it really is amazing.  Not only do you have dozens of makers of each body style, but dozens of body styles, and ways to amplify (or not). 

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: