RS2 question

Started by Scrambler17, December 09, 2015, 12:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,

I've run across an RS2 for sale.  Unfortunately it's not too close so I can't take a look at it in person now.  It's the cherry color with a humbucker.  It looks alot like these from the blurry photo I saw. 

Could anyone tell me how to tell if they're larrivee humbuckers, without removing them?  The seller says it's in pretty good shape, minor scratches and a nick on the headstock. 

What's the going rate for a used one of these?  And what was the going rate new? (Mods, it's my understanding that since this is no longer in production we can talk about this, but if not, if anyone could tell me the price range for used, that'd be great)

I've got a G&L ASAT classic currently and looking to expand my electric stable, something to compliment.  I'd love an RS4 but can't afford that at the moment.  I'm also sold on Larrivee now!  But haven't played one of their electrics. 
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers

As far as I know - no RS2 was made with anything but a Larrivee PUP. Thus unless the PUP was changed out it would be a Matt Larrivee PUP. No real way for me to tell without either playing or removing. The RS2 models pictured were the original release - and my favourite - I have a couple of these and also a newer generation.. A high quality LP Jr type of guitar.

I have more than 10 Larrivee modern electrics and almost one of each almost every other major brand. The Larrivee RS 4 is the best guitar I ever played!

Hope that helps.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Joyce,

Thanks that is very helpful.  I did some more research and found the same info you stated, that RS2s of this model would have 3rd gen ML humbuckers.  From all of the reviews it seems like this should be an absolute dream.  The RS4 is beautiful, but I can't justify that kind of money at this time.  Plus, my skills probably don't warrant a guitar that nice  :tongue:

Does anyone have any info on the market price of a used RS2? 
RS2 with humbuckers

Quote from: Scrambler17 on December 09, 2015, 02:10:33 PM

Does anyone have any info on the market price of a used RS2? 

With where the market is at now, I'd think you could get one in mint condition with case for $500-550; less than mint (like the one you'r looking at; a ding on the headstock and some scratches) should be obtainable for $450-500 - maybe $500 for that red one...

...I just bought an RS-4 with a painted top and a couple minor cosmetic issues for $600... still plays and sounds like a dream...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks for the info. I think you're right about the market and that's what I was leaning toward. This was a chain and the guitar was pretty new in their shop so they wouldn't budge on the price at this time. So I paid in the high 500s. But that's a retail shop so I expect to pay a little more than private sale. I do get a trial period. So that's a plus. So I pulled the trigger. Should be here next week :nana_guitar
RS2 with humbuckers