Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum V #7 picture  (Read 1982 times)
mike in lytle

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »

Well, here it is. It is shown with the L-05, because the two guitars are so similar to play and they kind of look alike.
I hope I did the picture thing right....
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »

It has been some weekend! I have spent a number of hours going through the old posts leading up to the creation of the Forum V and August 2012 was quite a month around here, with the guitars arriving daily to their new owners. It was exciting to read all about it.

The Forum V is a pretty serious guitar. I could go on and on about how it plays and sounds and what it does for me, but no way could I match the superlative descriptions of RS-4 guitars by Andrew and Kevin (for example). I will tell you that the neck is probably what I like the most. Playing the L-05 now for over a year got me ready for the RS-4. The action on both guitars is the same. Slick.
Oh yeah, and it is the best electric guitar I have ever had, ever played, or been in the same room with. I have other electrics and compared them, and the only one I will keep out of the case from now on is an Epi Sheraton II.

The Forum V with the dual mini HBs sounds great! I mostly play through a Roland JC-120, but will probably look into a small tube amp.

Well, that is it for now. Forum V #7 is my 4rth Larrivee in a bit over a year, and I am truly delighted.

Mike
L-05
C-05e
L-02-12
RS-4 Forum V #7
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:20:31 PM »

Very beautiful guitars, these Forum V's. I always thought they needed cream pickup rings, though, to look proper. (Sorry - now you'll be wondering...).

For a small tube amp, lots of options - check the thread in this forum on amps - many suggestions.

nice guitar  x 2

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:04:50 AM »

Very beautiful guitars, these Forum V's. I always thought they needed cream pickup rings, though, to look proper. (Sorry - now you'll be wondering...).

For a small tube amp, lots of options - check the thread in this forum on amps - many suggestions.

nice guitar  x 2

I switched out the black P90 pickup covers on mine (Forum V #4) for cream ones.  I really like the change.  Here is a link to the thread: http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=48411.0

For a small tube amp. I suggest you audition a Fender SuperChamp X2.  I have the head version but it comes in a combo version with a 10" speaker as well.  The head version plugged into the matching 1X12 cab is a great sounding outfit.  I don't have the cab because I already have two excellent 1X12 cabs.  But I played that matched set several times in the store and I was really impressed.  I also have the older version of this amp., the SuperChamp XD which only came as a combo.  You might be able to find a used SuperChamp XD for a good price.  My Forum V sounds very good through either one of those amps.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »

From the other thread....
I'm actually a little surprised that #7 has changed hands that many times.

Me too! I mean, El Cajone (3rd owner) ended up with the guitar within a few months of it's original delivery.
But the reasons given for passing along the guitar seemed fair. I thought maybe it was remorse over the pickups or something like that. And when I got it, it looked as if it had not been played. Not even a fingerprint on it. No crud in any gap or crevice. Only one nearly invisible scratch. The original owner said he had lowered the action a bit, but honestly, it was like #7 was put into protective storage for 3 years.
And when the guitar was posted a couple weeks ago, it was so easy to find all this out, I think #7 may be the most written about Forum V, although I had read the posts so fast I thought I was the 5th owner. When I talked to Dana on the phone, he corrected me. If the history of #7 had not been so immediately available, I probably would not have pulled the trigger.
After the guitar arrived, I did need to let it sit on a stand for a day, cause it needed to acclimate. I mean, the guitar moved 2300 miles in 48 hours.
This Forum V #7 shares a characteristic with the L-05 that I do not experience with other guitars, in that once I pick it up, I don't know where we are going or for how long I will play. I cannot see separating these two guitars and I cannot see being without them either.
Mike
El Cajone

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 07:17:39 PM »

Really glad you're enjoying the guitar, MIke.  Sounds like it has a good home!

Cheers,  Dana

Larrivee RS4 Forum V  (#7)
Larrivee custom L-03 ZW
G&L ASAT Special
Fender Stratocaster (Eric Clapton Signature model)
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 07:02:36 PM »

Really glad you're enjoying the guitar, MIke.  Sounds like it has a good home!
Cheers,  Dana
Oh, it has a good home alright. It stays in the case on the music room table when I am not playing it, but I play it every day, even if I don't even plug it in.
I am happy to say it is now covered with fingerprints and I will never be able to claim it lives in a pet free home, since the (four) dogs lay on the carpet in there when I play, otherwise I block off the entry so they can't get in. Strings are clean though.
All I have to is look at the headstock and I think "lucky me".
Mike
L-05
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:55:26 AM »

Hi Mike, Im glad to see you're  still using a soundhole pu. They are still a great option imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV32iBggJFk

The headstock on that electric looks  drool

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 02:34:48 AM »

Hi Mike, Im glad to see you're  still using a soundhole pu. They are still a great option imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV32iBggJFk

The headstock on that electric looks  drool

I didn't notice the soundhole pickup till you pointed it out.  I'm a big fan of those Seymour Duncan "acoustic tube" pickups.  I bought one back in 1985 when they hadn't been on the market for very  long.  I've used it many many times.  A couple of years ago, I bought a second one from Stewmac, thinking they might not be around much longer.  Sure enough, they haven't appeared in the last 2 catalogs.  To me, very natural sounding and quite resistant to feedback.

By the way, nice playing abalone.   

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 03:18:58 AM »

I'm a big fan of those Seymour Duncan "acoustic tube" pickups.
By the way, nice playing abalone.   
Ditto on the nice playing....
Mr. Star, the reason I got the pup was from your recommendation here in the group. It is a good pickup, it sounds really nice thru the JC-120 with chorus and some reverb, which is how I play the guitar a lot in the living room (high ceilings, big sound, wife likes it a lot).
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 06:24:04 AM »

Ditto on the nice playing....
Mr. Star, the reason I got the pup was from your recommendation here in the group. It is a good pickup, it sounds really nice thru the JC-120 with chorus and some reverb, which is how I play the guitar a lot in the living room (high ceilings, big sound, wife likes it a lot).

Happy to be of service.  It's gratifying when you discover that sometimes people are actually putting faith in what you have to say.  blush

Another thing I like about those pickups is how easy they are to switch between guitars.  Great to have one around when someone you want to jam or gig with doesn't have an acoustic guitar with a pickup in it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: