Taylor, Seagull ,LARRIVEE!!!

Started by headsup, December 05, 2015, 04:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just removed the Taylor 312ce from the for sale forum, it found a home.
The Seagull Concert artist sold last week.

They were both lovely guitars, both well made, solid tone woods, wonderful to play.
BOTH had terrific pick up systems that were warm, full and rich sounding.
If I didn't have to compare them, on stage, at home, or in my studio, I would still own both of them.

And there's the rub, they played and sounded terrific, until I picked up any one of my Larrivee's.
Says me, says my wife, who is on stage with me a lot, and listens to every guitar I bring home.

I'm spoiled with my wonderful, unique and special guitars from the Toronto, Victoria, Vancouver & Oxnard shops.
At least now I don't have to feel like I'm betraying any one of them (ya silly, I know) but except for my old original telecaster, ALL my guitars, acoustic and electric, are Larrivee's.......
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Know the feeling, I just sold a really nice Taylor 12 Fret that simply didn't have the quality of tone I enjoy from my two Larrivee OO 12 frets. The Taylor checked off all the boxes for me, short scale, neck width, 12 fret, cutaway, small bodied.

It just sounded sterile, nice but I never could warm up to it, after months in the case - gone!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Well at least no one can say "you don't know what you're missing".   :bgrin:  or rather you can say I know what I'm missing and it's OK. Whatever...
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

:+1:   Been there, too...  it's hard to leave your best sounding guitar in it's case...  it really gets tough when you have several nice Larrivees...  I rotate to get different tones... 

What a horrible problem...   :roll

BobW...

I just love the character of Larrivee guitars. Some mistakenly call it a lack of character but that's not true.  It's very balanced, in a world of unbalanced instruments.  Though I've begun to purchase more boutique level guitars, I still love the music I make with my Larrivees (it's like talking with a friend).  And, nothing beats them at their price range.  I need to sell one of them and it's truly making me sad. I love my Larrivees and can't figure out which one to part with.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

:laughin:  Join the club.  My Taylor 214 (all solid wood) never gets played. Not a patch on my Larrivees.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: B0WIE on December 05, 2015, 08:21:30 PM

I need to sell one of them and it's truly making me sad. I love my Larrivees and can't figure out which one to part with.

Yes, hard choices...

:crying:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I have 3 really nice guitars. A 1974 Guild D55, Taylor 714 CE and a Larrivee OM19 California SE. I am recovering from surgery on my ulnar nerve and the only guitar I can play comfortably for more than 5 minutes is the Larrivee. Oddly my neurosurgeon also plays guitar and 3 X 15 minute playing sessions per day has been prescribed as part of my recovery therapy. Very hard not to overdose on that prescription.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps

If anyone else made a great sounding 12 fret, 24" scale, small body guitar at an affordable (for me) price, I'd be interested in trying it.  So far, Larrivee is the only make that does. 

Ed

Quote from: eded on December 17, 2015, 09:12:34 AM
If anyone else made a great sounding 12 fret, 24" scale, small body guitar at an affordable (for me) price, I'd be interested in trying it.  So far, Larrivee is the only make that does. 

Ed

Try one of the new Martin Dreadnought Jrs. 

I love my Larrivées but I love my Martin, my strat and my Yamahas and my other odds and ends too. Which is why I've kept them. I guess I just love guitars. :thumb

Pono parlor guitar fits quite nicely compared to Larrivee.

Quote from: AZLiberty on December 24, 2015, 08:10:09 PM
Try one of the new Martin Dreadnought Jrs. 

Yeah, they are pretty nice.  I'd like to A/B one with a Larrivee parlor one day.

Ed

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 25, 2015, 09:05:14 AM
I love my Larrivées but I love my Martin, my strat and my Yamahas and my other odds and ends too. Which is why I've kept them. I guess I just love guitars. :thumb

Nuff said...  :+1:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I like all of my guitars and two both surfaced to the top of the batting order over the holidays.

My maple parlor and my new mahogany 000-18 (both 12 fret short scale) make a nice combo and will get lots of playing time.

I hear ya.  For my #2 travel/vacation guit, I've had a sweet Taylor Big Baby.  Loved it, till I found a sweet older OM-02 for only $150.00 more than I paid (both used) for the Taylor.   When I played the OM, there was no comparison, so the Taylor will be going down the road. 
D-02E