Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spalted Maple RS-4 Owners, Unite! A Gathering of Sorts...  (Read 3249 times)
Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:27 PM »

A great idea, though I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between a standard RS-4 and the spalted version if they both have the Gen3 pickups.  The P90 vs. Gen3 HB would make the most difference, though none of the 4 (of 6) have P90.

I did get a Yamaha THR10, so that would be something easy to use to record some sounds.

2000 C-09E (Fishman Matrix + AKG Soundhole Mic through Raven Labs PMB-1 Blender)
2005 C-30E Nylon (LR Baggs Element Pickup)
2011 RS-4 Spalted Maple #4 of 6 (Larrivee Gen3 Humbuckers)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 10:57:51 PM »

A great idea, though I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between a standard RS-4 and the spalted version if they both have the Gen3 pickups. 
I know I can't!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 12:11:42 AM »

The only thing I can think of is a difference in pure acoustic tone, and in that respect, the spalted top is probably very slightly worse since the spalting creates weak spots that do not transfer the vibrations throughout the top as efficiently.  The solid mahogany body probably makes more of a difference in acoustic tone, anyway.  Any difference wouldn't be perceptible to even the most sensitive of musical ears.  Changing the tailpiece to Aluminum probably would make more of a sound difference than the top wood.

2000 C-09E (Fishman Matrix + AKG Soundhole Mic through Raven Labs PMB-1 Blender)
2005 C-30E Nylon (LR Baggs Element Pickup)
2011 RS-4 Spalted Maple #4 of 6 (Larrivee Gen3 Humbuckers)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: