iRig Acoustic - guitar microphone

Started by skyline, November 15, 2015, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The topic is drifting a bit here into general recording theory and practice.  Let's keep in mind one of the primary reasons the iRig was developed; from the IK Multimedia website:

"The first acoustic guitar mobile microphone/interface"

This is not designed to replace your studio or even home recording studio setup.  It's to have in the backpack with you when you have your guitar with you and inspiration strikes to record.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: skyline on March 30, 2016, 06:09:30 PM
That is going to make for some very interesting listening. Thanks Ed!

kip

One thing about these is that most of these demos work for recording, which is very different than playing live.  My preference for recording is a mic (though I've gotten great results by mixing sources, i.e. mic and pickup).  (Aside; I typically get much better results with someone else playing!).  For a live pickup it is K&K, though this applies to many pickups, almost all the places I play are relatively small and the "air" of the live guitar fills what any pickup misses.  So effectively, it is like hearing a mix of the pickup and a mic (with the mic being the ears of the listeners).  Not a very technical explanation, but I hope it makes sense.

Ed

Quote from: eded on March 31, 2016, 06:30:00 AM
One thing about these is that most of these demos work for recording, which is very different than playing live.  My preference for recording is a mic (though I've gotten great results by mixing sources, i.e. mic and pickup).  (Aside; I typically get much better results with someone else playing!).  For a live pickup it is K&K, though this applies to many pickups, almost all the places I play are relatively small and the "air" of the live guitar fills what any pickup misses.  So effectively, it is like hearing a mix of the pickup and a mic (with the mic being the ears of the listeners).  Not a very technical explanation, but I hope it makes sense.

Ed

Perfectly fine explanation. You're fortunate enough to play places where you "reinforce" the sounds of you've crafted, as opposed to obliterating all other sounds :thumb

Quote from: rockstar_not on March 30, 2016, 10:44:05 PM
The topic is drifting a bit here into general recording theory and practice.  Let's keep in mind one of the primary reasons the iRig was developed; from the IK Multimedia website:    "The first acoustic guitar mobile microphone/interface"

They definitely avoided the traditional over-hype approach.

Quote from: rockstar_not on March 30, 2016, 10:44:05 PMThis is not designed to replace your studio or even home recording studio setup.

The integration between pickup and software is pretty thorough. There are many recordings published where the guitar has been tracked from a pickup. There will be people who prefer the sound of this mic (with or without software embellishment) over other studio techniques.

And for many people not versed in mic technique or lucky enough to have a good room, with good microphones, it's a very viable tool -  so hold those thoughts - I'll be back.

Quote from: georbro3 on March 30, 2016, 03:58:25 PMI try to stay away from computer apps for music anyhow, analog is better in most cases and you can always record it digitally at the end... 

Wow - I'm not sure how to stay analog - do you still have functioning tape decks?

Quote from: skyline on March 31, 2016, 01:45:07 PM
Wow - I'm not sure how to stay analog - do you still have functioning tape decks?

I record using cascaded high definition A/D D/A Tascam 3000 units.  My mixers are old Presonus M80 analog units that have Revive Audio Op Amp upgrades done to them.  I had way too many problems with artifacts on computer recordings back in the early days, so after a few years I just abandoned that method for capturing the initial recording.  I still do some post editing on a computer when needed, but mostly it is retake, retake, retake until I get one right... just me and my guitar anyway (sometimes with a host of other stuff from effects boxes dubbed in).

P. S.  It was never my intention to sidetrack this thread from the IRig acoustic mic, the description of the app just reminded me of all the pain adjusting a computer can be...  my apologies to all.
George

Quote from: georbro3 on March 31, 2016, 04:12:41 PM
I record using cascaded high definition A/D D/A Tascam 3000 units.  My mixers are old Presonus M80 analog units that have Revive Audio Op Amp upgrades done to them.  I had way too many problems with artifacts on computer recordings back in the early days, so after a few years I just abandoned that method for capturing the initial recording.  I still do some post editing on a computer when needed, but mostly it is retake, retake, retake until I get one right... just me and my guitar anyway (sometimes with a host of other stuff from effects boxes dubbed in).

P. S.  It was never my intention to sidetrack this thread from the IRig acoustic mic, the description of the app just reminded me of all the pain adjusting a computer can be...  my apologies to all.

It's all good...  conversations wander.

Ed

Quote from: eded on March 31, 2016, 04:31:09 PM
It's all good...  conversations wander. Ed

For sure - probably the best part about conversations is the wandering!

Quote from: georbro3 on March 31, 2016, 04:12:41 PM
I record using cascaded high definition A/D D/A Tascam 3000 units.

Right - so you are recording digitally - thought maybe you were one of those incredibly dedicated people who maintained a 2" 24 track and a 1/2" to master down to
:donut :coffee :donut2

Tascam makes some great kit. I still have a FW-1884 - for when I need to run more than two mics at a time (and flying faders are always good for a giggle!)

Quote from: georbro3 on March 31, 2016, 04:12:41 PMthe description of the app just reminded me of all the pain adjusting a computer can be...  

I should have established a baseline - on a spectrum of effort ranging from "10 - WTF?" (eg. getting Windows 3.1 to support 16 bit audio and 24 bit graphics) -  through to "0 - easy" (eg saving a contact into a phone).  The app is definitely near the "0" end.

The desires of "device" programmers to make things look cool often over-rides creating a quick and clear work flow. The iRig software is a flavour of Amplitube with a lot of "faux leather" skeuomorphism going on -  entire screens dedicated to the image of a guitar amp instead of just nine knobs with labels. They save screen space by using little icons of 8 track reel-to-reels, then when you choose that option you go to a screen filled with a faceless TEAC 8 Track reel-to-reel - which uses about 10% of the screen to actually do anything.

It's not that the iRig software is hard to use or unreliable - it's very functional, just distractingly flashy.

Thanks for that additional description of the app.  Apple seems to be much better at dealing with music recording than Microsoft ever was.  At least their operating systems seem to be better suited to not having as many issues with latency.  I know some guys that still use analog tape and create some great recordings with them, just a totally different sound than you get in the all digital world...

P. S.  Another thing I like about the DPA 4099 G is the adjustability of the whole thing.  You choose where on the body to clip it, how high the gooseneck needs to be, the angle of the mic, the distance from everything, etc.  When I start looking for the "sweet spot" I hold it in my left hand and strum with my right and just move it around on the fretboard and change the height until I can hear what I want.  Then I mount it there and fine tune the tone.  I also usually mix it with a pickup to achieve the ambience you can get with the combo...
George

Being the gear head that I am, I picked up an iRig Acoustic Stage for $99.00

No iPhone needed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NgeCrpnMc&ytbChannel=ikmultimedia

There's a Larivee in that video!  Apologies if it was posted previously.

Just playing around with it on the L-03 and my  Crate GLX212 120-Watt 2x12" Combo Amp, and it sounded good to me. We will be testing it more extensively on a PA system this weekend.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on March 24, 2017, 01:43:39 AM
Being the gear head that I am, I picked up an iRig Acoustic Stage for $99.00

No iPhone needed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NgeCrpnMc&ytbChannel=ikmultimedia

There's a Larivee in that video!  Apologies if it was posted previously.

Just playing around with it on the L-03 and my  Crate GLX212 120-Watt 2x12" Combo Amp, and it sounded good to me. We will be testing it more extensively on a PA system this weekend.

Thanks Mark, I too love checking out various ways to amplify a guitar.  What I like about this one is the ability to blend other pickups with it.  Just ordered one...
George

I have this thing on my "to buy" list for amplifying my acoustic bass (crappy old Dean model that I don't even list in my signature) and a recently acquired uke.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud