iRig Acoustic - guitar microphone

Started by skyline, November 15, 2015, 06:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looks like it's available at Best Buy and Guitar Center, but no Bluetooth?  :?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 16, 2015, 10:08:59 AMbut no Bluetooth?  :? 

I guess because it's meant to plug straight into a "device" - which when then give you your bluetooth - and wifi? :blush:

Probably sounds like a $50 mic.  Once processed through the AmpliTube app, it will probably sound ok, though not very much like the guitar.

Hmmm...  I guess this is a grumpy day for me.

Ed

I read about these and since its only designed to play thru a cell phone I'm out of luck since all I have is and old style flip phone because its a PHONE!!!!!My life does not revolve my PHONE!!!!!
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on November 16, 2015, 12:11:19 PM
I read about these and since its only designed to play thru a cell phone

I think there's a vanilla line out jack -  i.e. you can run it as a microphone - no software needed.

I am betting that it sounds quite good coupled with the app.  IK are right up there with the best with impulse response modeling and it appears that this is part of the app with the calibration feature.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on November 16, 2015, 07:14:41 PM
I am betting that it sounds quite good coupled with the app.  IK are right up there with the best with impulse response modeling and it appears that this is part of the app with the calibration feature.

Plus . . . the audio recording world is small potatoes compared to the cell phone world.

They are leveraging acquisition technologies that have A) focused on input in extremely diverse/problematic situations and B) had the benefit of very large carrots dangled in front of them for R&D.

It may be a very interesting show between vertical thinking (aka old school microphone technology) vs lateral thinking (with a good shot of Adam Smith's "economy of scale")

Quote from: skyline on November 16, 2015, 08:18:19 PM
Plus . . . the audio recording world is small potatoes compared to the cell phone world.

They are leveraging acquisition technologies that have A) focused on input in extremely diverse/problematic situations and B) had the benefit of very large carrots dangled in front of them for R&D.

It may be a very interesting show between vertical thinking (aka old school microphone technology) vs lateral thinking (with a good shot of Adam Smith's "economy of scale")

Exactly. 
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: skyline on November 16, 2015, 08:18:19 PM

Huh?  I'm so confused.  I'm still in the same stage as unclerob.  Flip phone.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: skyline on November 16, 2015, 10:20:03 AM
I guess because it's meant to plug straight into a "device" - which when then give you your bluetooth - and wifi? :blush:

Exactly, its made to plug into a I-phone. I can plug my car stereo into my I phone to play music but I can also toss the plug and just go bluetooth for music and hands free calling. Maybe size constraints, in other words maybe the Bluetooth ability would have made the mic to bulky.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 16, 2015, 10:35:02 PM
Exactly, its made to plug into a I-phone. I can plug my car stereo into my I phone to play music but I can also toss the plug and just go bluetooth for music and hands free calling. Maybe size constraints, in other words maybe the Bluetooth ability would have made the mic to bulky.

If my Fitbit (about 1/4"x3/8"X1") can have Bluetooth, they could fit it in this thing.  But, that would just further degrade the audio (IMO).

I have a tough time believing the tiny little mic element in his thing picks up a wide enough spectrum to be worth much...  of course at $50 it doesn't cost much.  And, I don't trust an algorithm to analyze the signal to get the best sound...  or I don't know, maybe all the professional recording engineers can hit the bricks and look for another line of work, *maybe* it's that good.  It just makes me think "autotune" (or more like autotone) for acoustic guitar.  I got one of the interface boxes for electric guitar.  It was interesting, but didn't do much for the sound of the guitar.

Ed

Ok, here's some current realities:  1
  Bluetooth latency makes monitoring the signal pretty unusable.
2:  Take a look at the capsule in a BLUE snowball MIC and people brag about snowball recordings quote regularly.
3: The irig series is immensely popular due to the ubiquity of iOS devices.  The computing power and signal integrity in some iOS devices outpaces many dedicated recording devices, and the ability to put it right at the strings gives it a reliable position so that the device can be used for impulse response with a high physical acoustic signal to noise ratio.

There are plenty of handheld recorders that are using dinky capsules and you pay for the computing power of the recorder primarily.  You already have that with the iOS devices.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

When I record something with an I-device, it is for convenience, not fidelity.  For posting something on Facebook or YouTube, this device is probably fine.

And, I've spent that much money on stuff I've been disappointed by before, and probably will again.  Lol!

Ed

Quote from: unclrob on November 16, 2015, 12:11:19 PM
I read about these and since its only designed to play thru a cell phone I'm out of luck since all I have is and old style flip phone because its a PHONE!!!!!My life does not revolve my PHONE!!!!!

:roll I'm with you on that one, Rob!
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: eded on November 17, 2015, 09:48:54 PM
When I record something with an I-device, it is for convenience, not fidelity.  For posting something on Facebook or YouTube, this device is probably fine.

And, I've spent that much money on stuff I've been disappointed by before, and probably will again.  Lol!

Ed
Which is exactly the market for this thing.  I bet it will sound better than many of the much more expensive USB mics like the snowball due simply to being so close to the source.  I have the Blue Mikey which uses an iPhone but getting it positioned right for a good recording is a problem.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on November 17, 2015, 08:42:05 PMThere are plenty of handheld recorders that are using dinky capsules and you pay for the computing power of the recorder primarily.  You already have that with the iOS devices.

A current iPod is about $250. Add in the iRig mic $50.

So for $300 you have a pickup, with pre-amp (EQs, reverbs etc), feedback suppression, and full recording abilities. You can move it to another guitar anytime you want.

When you're not using the iPod as a guitar pre-amp, you've got a very reasonable 720P video camera (amongst other things).

There could be some futzing happening here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwXYo5KEePw but it's unlikely.

Quote from: skyline on November 18, 2015, 11:01:48 AM

There could be some futzing happening here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwXYo5KEePw but it's unlikely.

With my headphones, and even streaming with the compression that youtube uses, I can hear a difference between the two. 

If you are going to suggest that a $50 mic is the same as a $3K+ mic, then I guess this thing is for you.

It amazes me how between digital recording, cheap little button speakers built into a computer monitor, and the various compression methods applied to streaming audio, we have all but given up on quality recording. 

Ed

Quote from: eded on November 18, 2015, 11:27:13 AMIt amazes me how between digital recording, cheap little button speakers built into a computer monitor, and the various compression methods applied to streaming audio, we have all but given up on quality recording.   

For sure - many people accept obscenely low/no quality playback. However, my quest is for acess to a live solution - other than playing acoustically to only a dozen people at a time in a small room.

Quote from: eded on November 18, 2015, 11:27:13 AMWith my headphones, and even streaming with the compression that youtube uses, I can hear a difference between the two. 

Of course you can. I'm not suggesting they are the same - just presenting a comparrison.

Quote from: eded on November 18, 2015, 11:27:13 AMIf you are going to suggest that a $50 mic is the same as a $3K+ mic, then I guess this thing is for you. 

My comparison would be to a $200-300 (plus installation, plus pre-amp) guitar pickup. In particular, the rubber band sound that is an apparently beloved feature of every other pickup appears to be absent with the iRig.